Had to put our cat to sleep today. Damn, damn, damn!!

It was inspirational reading all of your replies and confirmations that the decision I had to make was the right one. All day yesterday I looked for hope. This was a bad dream and I would wake up with Chance looking up at me as if saying can we go outside mom and chase grasshoppers??? Reality slapped me in the face several times yesterday and I knew the decision I had to make. It was truly the hardest for me and my husband but I do know deep inside it was the best for Chance. I know he’s with our dog Tiffy and my dad who both passed on 6 years ago. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your support. You are all very kind. Honey, you are the best to do this for me. You are my hero. Gnagtcha’s Wife

[Stubby bounds over to show where the Tender Vittles are hid.]

I had to put my little girl to sleep on July 31st, 2008. I agree that it was one of the hardest things I’ve done in my 31 years on Earth, but I don’t regret it for a second. She was uncomfortable, she was unhappy, and there was nothing I could do to stop her from feeling those things. The only thing I could do was give her peace. It hurt a lot for a long time and sometimes it still does a little, but I know I did the right thing and every day it hurts a little bit less. Hang in there.

hugs I’m so sorry. I don’t know what else to say other than that it never gets easy. (And anyone who says, “It’s just a cat!” should be kicked right in the kidneys-hard).

Give my love to your wife. goes to hug her babies

What a difference a day makes. I came home from work and my wife is in such a better place. I have all of you to thank for that. If I could hug each of you, I would.

Rudy

I’m sorry for your loss, but I am sure my Gweniever is showing Chance all the comfy spots to nap. I had to say goodbye to her almost two years ago, so I am sure she has found them all by now.

It is a hard decision. It hurts.

It is a gift I wish I could have given my mother the last six months of her life.

i’ve had to do it twice this year, in jan. and in sept. it is never made lightly or easily. it is so very difficult, and the empty spots in the house haunt you.

nod the naughty was an easier decision as she had cancer in a few internal organs. i waited (and she let me wait) until after christmas. she was eating up a storm and i gave her all the fancy feast she wanted, until 2 days before the scheduled appt. she was still eating but not as much, just one can not three. it was a home visit and she went out with a growl.

malenka the miraculous was tougher, i had her since she was 3 days old, even started a thread on her when i found her at 8:30 pm. the sdmb helped me watch over her, while we waited to see the vet first thing the next morning.

at about 3 months she developed various “tummy” troubles, that ended up with a tough case of irritable bowel. she was only 7 but was having more bad days than good and losing weight. in her last 3 weeks she lost half a pound. that was what tipped my hand. she was my baby girl.

as barbaro’s owner said on the day he made his personal journey to pasture paradise: “grief is the price we pay for love”. so very, very, true.

I am sorry for your loss. Sending supporting thoughts your way.