Hands are lethel weapons?

You could snap someones neck and kill them even if you aren’t very strong. Also, I guess if you knocked someone out on the first or second punch, you could probably keep beating them to death if they didn’t wake up and fight back. Since this is the case, I don’t see why we all don’t have to register our hands. They are pretty dangerous whether you are a boxer or not.

I concur. We need a list of everyone with hands, in case someone commits a crime with their hands, so we’ll have a list of the suspects.

Yeah, but the registration has nothing to do with being a weapon, deadly or otherwise. It’s to make sure that you are of age, are mentally & physically fit to compete, that kind of thing. When my friend competed in a bicycle race the other month he had to register with the organizers, same sort of deal.

And paws. Just in case.

Per a friend of mine this is very much correct, however she did point out what has been posted by other dopers that if she was involved in a violent altercation it could be said that she wields deadly force hand to hand by default, whereas the average joe on the street is less capable of crippling or killing with a few well placed hits making it hard to claim the average joe intended to kill or was even capable of killing bare handed.

In Spartydog’s defense (and I’ll admitted he definitely worded his initial post badly) in the post you quoted he was not reasserting the claim that his friend had to register himself or his hands as a deadly weapon, nor was he asserting that in New York a boxer is considered a deadly or lethal weapon or that a boxer’s hand is considered as such. Making me question the relevance of the citations you used in direct response to the post in question.

Spartydog, in his second post, asserted that being a licensed boxer could create a negative perception, and I think that’s quite obviously true. I don’t find it hard to believe at all that a police officer investigating a case in which a boxer is a suspect might have some sort of preconceived opinion on someone simply because they are a prizefighter.

Nor do I think it’s a stretch to assume someone on a jury might have similar preconceived opinions.

I once heard that experts in martial arts had to carry a card which in the event of any altercation outside of competition they were supposed to show to their opponent.

Is this also an UL?

Cummon, at least I admitted my overstatement.

Registering with the organizer of an event and registering with the state athletic commission are two entirely different things. Registering with the athletic commision puts you on the public record and into their data base. They have the power to decide whether you can compete. Yes, the purpose is to oversee the health and competence of the fighters but it is public record, nonetheless.

It’s printed on the reverse side of the ace of spades. They have to throw it on the lifeless body when they are done.

Yes it’s a UL. :wink:

Gosh. I suppose that also nullifies the story about the impotent man getting a rape charge reduced to “assault with a dead weapon.” :wink:

However, we ninjas are required to be paid up on our union dues or risk censure.

I wanted to say that!
But, as long as you’re here;
delete, please

Peace,
mangeorge

No, no, no.
That was Charro’s grounds for divorce from Xavier Cugat.
Really!
But she did have to register her, um,
Anyway

In Nevada they have some sort of list of people with serious marital arts skills and or fighters. Either that or they really didn’t like the look of one guy I was with.

My Ex-Roommate (who also happened to be a total ass, but that is another story) had a 9th degree black belt. I don’t remember which paricular art he did. He fought professionally in Vegas and elsewhere. Anyway, one day we were driving down the street and he got pulled over for a broken tail light. I was with him. The cops, when they walked to the door, asked him for his license, looked at it and asked him to get out of the truck and as soon as he did the cop stated that they were going to cuff him for everyones safety. They asked me for my DL, which I gave them. They ran my DL as well. They did not cuff me even though they had me get out of the car as well . One cop went back to the car and wrote a ticket. They gave him a ticket then uncuffed him and we went on our way.

It was strange because the very first thing the cops did was restrain my ex-roommate. According to him, when they run his license it shows that he is a fighter, probably through the Nevada Athletic Commision. He did not have any other issues that might cause the cops to cuff him, like a warrant. They gave him a minor ticket and let him go. He said that it happens everytime he gets pulled over.

I’ve been pulled over multiple times, either by myself or with someone else and this was the first and only time that I have seen cops immediately cuff someone for a minor moving violation.

Now it could be that the cops on this occasion just cuffed him for a totally unrealted reason, like thinking he was a suspect for another crime. It was, however, odd in that they cuffed him, wrote a ticket and then un-cuffed him.

Slee

Doesn’t seem like handcuffs would be all that much of a restraint to a 9th degree in any of the martial arts.
More likely to me would be that he had a history of giving the cops a hard time.
I know you can get on a “felony asshole” list for annoying a cop. I was on the list for dating a girl who had went out with a deputy only once and didn’t want any more. He pulled me over and told me that it wasn’t smart to mess with a “cop’s woman” :smiley:
I couldn’t get away with shit for six months. Traffic wise, that is.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear this is “Why in the world would you have to register a deadly weapon?” The only thing you typically register is handguns. Hands are not a handgun. My car, my kitchen knife, my guitar, my pocket knife, my baseball bat, the week old loaf of sourdough are all deadly weapons and I can assure you none of them have to be registered as a deadly weapon in any state. Why would you have to register hands? :confused:

:rolleyes: Are you saying a handcuffed 9th degree black belt can take on two Nevada police officers with guns, tasers and batons? I think the ability to carry something like that out successfully, while far from being completely impossible, has very little to do with having a 9th degree black belt in anything. I’d be more inclined to believe a ballet dancer or a gymnast pulling it off.

You don’t fool me, groman. I’ve seen the movies. And tv. TV don’t lie.
You can’t get netflix down there? :wink:

I’ll take number 2, Alex.

Yeah, me too. Dollars to donuts, if you checked out this guy’s criminal record he’s got at least a couple of assaults if not more on the dock. I guarantee that the Division of Motor Vehicles and the Nevada Criminal Information System do not cross-reference with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the Thai Kickboxing Association of America, The International Shotokan Karate Association, the mailing list of Black Belt magazine, or the Salvation Army. The do, however, maintain a list of arrests, arraignments, and convictions.

Anybody–and I do mean anybody–can potentially kill someone with bare hands with only a modicum of training. All things being equal, it’s really not that hard to terminate someone’s life; a simple strike to the throat, the back of the neck, or the temple can do it. Martial arts students spend years not learning how to kill (or stun with magic chi pressure points, or whatever) but how to disarm, disable, and debilitate without actually having to kill an opponent.

And just 'cause it needs to be said (and isn’t any more silly than any other mistatement made so far), they’ll take away my hands when they pry them from my cold, dead…er…arms.

Stranger