Hannibal question (non-spoiler)

I went and saw Hannibal yesterday, then someone was telling me that the Fire Marshal Bill guy was played by Gary Oldman. Is that true? If so, why would they get such a high profile (and expensive) actor to play a part that he isnt even recognized in, he does no real acting, and his voice probably could have been overdubbed by any Joe Schmoe without anyone noticing?

Could be he just wanted to be in the movie. And Gary Oldman does tend to wear a lot of makeup in the films I’ve seen him in. But remember it’s “show business”. While I don’t think Hannibal needed one more “name” to have people flocking to it, “names” are used to generate more public interest. Would anyone have gone to see (name of film) if (well-known actor/actress) wasn’t in it? I don’t want to mention specific films/actors because peoples’ tastes are different, but often people will see a film just because “name” is in it or “name” directed it.

Yes, he was in the movie, but he was only listed in the end credits (not opening credits, trailers, or posters). I have no idea why, but it casts doubt on the idea of him being used for publicity.

Similarly, Kevin Spacey was in Se7en but wasn’t publicized, evidently because they (or he?) wanted the identity of the killer to be a secret.

Haven’t you noticed that Gary Oldman is seldom recognised in his films? He’s a total shape-shifter! It’s what’s made him famous. I’m shocked at the huge array of characters the man is capeable of portraying. I must disagree with your opinion that he does no real acting. On the contrary, he does a tremendous job acting! Gary Oldman is a very straight-laced (cockney!) Brit. His American, German, Transylvanian etc accents are perfect! I thought it was amazing how he sounding nothing like himself in Hannibal.

I don’t know, Cisco. To each his own I guess.

Gary Oldman is a great actor, I loved his role as Sid Vicious. I meant he did no real acting in Hannibal.

*Yes, he was in the movie, but he was only listed in the end credits (not opening credits, trailers, or posters). I have no idea why, but it casts doubt on the idea of him being used for publicity. *

He didn’t appear in the credits because he wanted billing on the level with Hopkins and Moore. When he didn’t get it, he elected to have his name left out of the billing entirely.

I saw him interviewed on The View (I know, I’m lame) and he said that he wanted his name left off the billing because he was playing the man with no face… he was going to be the actor with no name.

Wasn’t Fire Marshall Bill the name of one of Jim Carey’s characters on In Living Color?

He’s no cockney, that’s for sure. And what on earth was that accent in The Fifth Element?

JeffB is right. Fire Marshall Bill is a Jim Carrey character in the series In Living Color. The character Oldman played was called Mason Verger

I think Gary Oldamn enjoys the reputation he has for being able to play any role convincingly. I just assumed it was because of this that he chose not to be listed among the top-billed cast. It adds to the reputation that he can be anyone, anywhere, at anytime.

2 different characters? Coulda fooled me :wink: