Happy Fourth! What're you doin' today?

Walked in a neighborhood parade with a bunch of sweaty people, and adorable kids on bikes and trikes. Heat index here is supposed to be 110, so taking an AC break before grilling and then fireworks down on the lake.

Heading over to the new house (bought last Friday - yay us!) to paint some rooms. Then back here to grill, have some beers, perhaps look for a municipal fireworks show (most of them have been cancelled due to fire danger).

That’s not a Porsche, that’s a Karmann Ghia!

:slight_smile:

I am at work now (clearly hard at work). I think I have decided that I will be my own fireworks show, because its so damn hot and humid here I am likely to spontaneously explode. I just hope everyone watching it happen will give me an ovation afterward.

But seriously, I am going to go over to my ex-wife’s boyfriend’s house to swim, BBQ and light off a mountain of proper fireworks.

I know that’s kinda weird but we are all trying to be friends. My sons are over with their mom today and we usually do the fireworks at my house with me, but I offered to change it up this year…and the boyfriend asked me to bring my girlfriend…so its gonna be kinda awkward.

This is day 5 without power for us, so we’re at my in-laws staying cool. I am very grateful to have them living nearby! We made a trip home this morning to check on the cats and throw out all the furry things in the fridge. BGE can only tell us it won’t be back on today… no other info or estimates. This is turning out to be a very long week.

Happy 4th, enjoy your air conditioning!

I’m home by myself…it’s kind of nice. I made some peach jam, did a few loads of laundry, and I’m watering the garden and cleaning the house with the rest of the day. Also got some fresh leeks to cut up and freeze, and probably some other fresh produce to deal with. If the fireworks haven’t been cancelled, I’ll be able to see them right from my freshly-watered garden…if it isn’t too hot to sit outside.
My kids are at space camp and I asked my SO to stay home–after weeks of working two jobs and not having a minute to myself, I need some me time!

Not a lot planned. Fireworks were last night, too late and far away, and it was already too hot for the parade at 11am. Basically it’s hot dogs, vodkatonics and saxophone practice. I’ll probably tune in the Capitol Steps this evening.

Good on you for that. Sounds like y’all are trying to make the best of it. In the long run, it’s the better play. My ex and I did the same, years ago. It wasn’t easy; I was very mad at her for leaving without any explanation. It took a while to get over it and now we all get along well, and the three kids aren’t too badly scarred.

Good luck in that heat. I know many of the USA are melting. Let me know if you spontaneously explode, and I’ll be sure to clap.
(That was for your Karmann Ghia comment! :D)

BTW, they finally outlawed foie gras in my state of California. Enjoy your 4th. Many California ducks are also celebrating.

watching hbo john adams, later independence day. hoping to see some fireworks from the window.

staying away from the crowds at the wawa welcome america concert across the street.

We’ve been putting the finishing touches on our basement stairwell - it’s only taken 4 years to complete this project. Of course, about 3 years and 10 months of it was idle time… but my spousal unit is installing the last few pieces of trim molding, then I’ll do some touch-up paint and we can declare it done at long last. The highlight today was putting the handrail back in place. No more visions of crashing to the concrete floor below! Huzzah!!

We won’t be going out for fireworks nor will we be cooking out. Once we put all our tools away, I’m seeing showers and vegging in front of the TV. All in all, a good day!

Just returned from seeing the movie “Ted”. Went outside for ten minutes (97 degrees). Ate a perfect peach, then some perfect raspberries. Now debating Kindle reading (Stephen King) vs. nap.
mmm

Do laundry, clean the fridge (I was without power for 3 days), drink wine and watch my traditional Independence Day movies (“Yankee Doodle Dandy”, “1776”).

Whatever I do, it will be in the air conditioning. It’s 94 with a heat index of 104!

We got a bagging lawnmower, a Stihl spill proof gas can, some plant ties, and some gloves all for $250. Now it’s time for leftover spaghetti and then mowing the lawn.

Sitting inside with the AC, surfing the web. It’s been in the upper 90’s to 106 for the last two weeks and everyone is worn out from the heat. Today the air is full of smoke from all the fires and I can’t even see the mountains. Fireworks displays have been cancelled all over due to the fire danger, and I haven’t heard a single firecracker all day.

It’s kind of a depressing Fourth, to be honest.

I just got back from the Red White And Blue Parade. San Jose is in no financial shape to put on a big event these days, so the locals stepped up to fill the gap. This is their 6th year and I have to say they put on a pretty decent show. A bunch of homespun “floats”, a nice line-up of classic vehicles, marching civic groups and clubs, and Elvis impersonator King Creole rockin’ out and shaking hands with folks along the way. Pretty cool.

i am reading mr. king as well. 11/22/63.

the cats and i have had our nap already. we are now ready to face the rest of the day.

Its a travesty that foie gras is outlawed in a state that has so many upper-tier restaurants. Fuck PETA, fuck those stupid birds, their livers are damn tasty!

:slight_smile:

Oops, missed the edit window. It’s the “***Rose ***White and Blue Parade”, named in honor of the Fiesta de Las Rosas Parade from the 1920s.

On this glorious 4th of July, I am due to leave the office in about a half an hour. Yay.

I feel so unpatriotic – working, instead of getting drunk and blowing myself up with firecrackers. But, then, the evening is young.

My firefighter husband is working 24 hours. I’m home keeping the kitties company. The tree of us hate fireworks, so we will all be under the bed this evening.

BTW, today is, traditionally, the first day of summer in western Washington. It’s going to be sunny and in the 70s for the rest of the week, maybe longer.

Library book sale (a 4th of July tradition) in the morning while, then the parade, then canoeing with our dog.