Happy Hanukkah!

At the dorm at school, they have this one room set aside for the menorahs. They tell you to bring extra-thick candles, because it gets so hot in there that the wax melts almost immediately.

Worth1000 had a chop-a-dreidel contest yesterday. Here’s my favorite: Photoshop Submission for 'Dramatic Dreidels' Contest | Design #8914128

The Barenaked Ladies did some great songs on their “Barenaked for the Holidays” album, including “Hanukkah Blessings” and “Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah.” I find the first one really moving even though I’m not of the faith, and they’re on my holidays playlist.

“We remember how the Maccabees
Fought so all of us could be free
And so we celebrate.
On this Festival of the Lights
There’s a joyful time every night
Where we illuminate
The candles of Hanukkah.”

Happy Hanukkah to all!

I’d believe it. The candles always melt faster in the menorahs on the later nights of Hanukkah than they do on the earlier nights.

Yeah, I know. I’ve been celebrating Hanukkah for about 10 years now. Well, at least doing the menorah thing. No gifts, no chocolate Macabees. I think there was one year I did it a week or two in advance, because I was travelling during some of those 8 days.

Happy Hanukkah!

Thanks for the reminder - I have some calls to make now!

I think I have influenced Soapy’s speech patterns. :smiley:

HAPPY HANUKKAH!!!

Nah. It’s my South Carolinian hubby!

I’ve got a roast in the oven, two boxes of latke mix to make, and seven bags of gelt in addition to what my mother sent to the sprog. The presents are wrapped. I am tired!

Candles lit, house partially decorated, songs sung, new jammies are already on and new books being read. Happy kids. First night: complete!

Happy Hanukkah! On Facebook this morning, I did tell my friend Veronica.

Humorous note- a couple of times, I’ve seen newspaper stories about how Hanukkah commemorates to victory of the MacCabees over the Greek-Syrian oppressors.

Och vey!

Happy Hanukkah to you!

Another thing about Chanukah- I always have this one song that starts playing in my head, and I can’t remember the words.

I know it starts
*Chanukah, o Chanukah, we light the menorah
Let’s have a party, we’ll all dance the hora… *

but my brain insists the next line is

Spin the whirling latkes, and eat the yummy dreidels

which I assume are not the actual lyrics.

Hanukkah, O Hanukkah Come light the menorah
We’ll have a party, we’ll all dance the hora
Gather round the table and I’ve give you a treat
Sivivon* to play with and latkes to eat.

And while we are playing the candles are burning low
One for each night, they shed a sweet light to remind us of days long ago

(repeat above two lines)

• hebrew for driedel. Some versions use driedel, some use spinning tops. I prefer the hebrew.