Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Dammit, I missed it! I was too busy being pissed at Comcast.

Wait, candles tonight, or last night?

Friday night. Tonight if you’re in the US or Europe, last night if you’re in Australia.

So I didn’t miss it after all. Yay! The spirits did it all in one night!

I’m not Jewish, but I really enjoy Hanukkah. It’s such a beautiful holiday.

Happy Hanukkah to you, too!

I have to get off my ass and wrap presents, clean the house and fix dinner. Latkes and gelt for everyone!

Gut Yontiff!

Chag sameach!

“Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has sanctified us by His commandments”

I’m not Jewish either but that blessing says it well. A Happy Hanukkah to all.

We were singing hanukkah songs on the way to school-

Sivivon, sov sov sov
Hanukkah, hu hag tov
Hanukkah, hu hag tov
Sivivon, sov sov sov

Hag samaech oo la’am
Nes gadol hayah sham
nes gadol hayah sham
Hag samaech hu la’am

Happy hanukkah, y’all!

To those celebrating a holiday, wishing you a safe and happy one!

Link to Adam Sandler’s Hannukah Song:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/adam+sandler/the+hanukkah+song_20003925.html
I don’t particularly care for Sandler, especially when he’s singing. But I do like this. And they just played it on the radio this morning.

All three versions of Sandler’s song are awesome. (I share your opinions on him, though, Cal.)

And yes, mazel tov to all Dopers of the Jewish persuasion!

[Jewish Dopers]:confused:We had to be persuaded? Like there was someone in an alley holding out a bagel “Hey kid you like this? BAM! OK, now you’re a Jew!”[/Jewish Dopers]

Well, there is that midrash about God holding Mount Sinai over the heads of the Israelites until we said, “Yes, all right, ‘have no other gods before you’, sounds great, PLEASE PUT THE MOUNTAIN DOWN NOW!” :slight_smile:

SecondJudith’s username reminded me of this story, which has spawned a rather obscure tradition of eating cheese at Hanukkah (that I think needs to be better known, because I’ll take any excuse to eat cheese that I can get). Fried food (including of course latkes- yum!), cheese, and pretty candles- what’s not to like about a holiday like that?

I’m planning to try my hand at sweet potato latkes with some curry and zucchini latkes. They usually end up looking more like hash than pancakes when I make them, but they still taste good.

It lasts for 8 nights, anyway. We light candles every night from now until the 18th.

Yes, I’ve always thought it was a bit funny how Judith sort of gets tagged on to the Hanukkah traditions. I guess two extracanonical books makes up one full holiday. :smiley:

Happy Hanukkah!

I’ve been giving out gelt for the last day. It’s fair trade and whatever the fuck hippie gelt cause I got it at a co-op and has gone over very well.

There’s a tradition that she was Judah the Maccabee’s aunt.

It seems to me to fit in rather well thematically with Hanukkah, as well. It features a Jewish military victory, just like the story of the Maccabees does.

Mazel tov!

(Is that right? I’m not Jewish, but have a wonderful holiday!)

Well, “mazel tov” means “congratulations”, which isn’t really a common holiday sentiment, but your point is clear. :slight_smile: Thanks!