Happy New Rant Year!

I’m with you on this! I bought a Chromecast to replace my Roku (which I used to love) because the Roku interface doesn’t list your shows to watch - you have to go into each individual channel - but the Chromecast does list them all right up front. But I can’t re-log into the HBO channel that I legally share with my brother, for no apparent reason, despite endless attempts. I’m starting to feel like my senile late mother and feeling bad for not getting why these things are so hard for old people.

Peanut butter and banana is a delicious and relatively healthy combination.

Just ask Elvis!

And it went completely fine and I had nothing to worry about. As it goes.

Today, I am worried about tomorrow and I actually have real things to worry about. My daughter’s IEP meeting is tomorrow and I heard from her classroom teacher last night that the district wants to take away my daughter’s one-on-one para. My daughter has difficulties with self control and has pica on top of her autism and ADHD that I feel makes this a dangerous situation. In kindergarten, she got out of the building unsupervised multiple times and she has mouthed dangerous objects in the past (mostly rock salt) that I think this is a completely terrible idea. I know that, at some point, she will likely need to graduate from having one-on-one support but I just don’t think we are there yet. I don’t want to have to fight for this again. It was a fight the just getting this para. I’m sick just thinking about it.

See if you can find a parent\student advocate. You likely won’t before the meeting tomorrow, but if they are going to fight it that might be your best bet. An advocate knows the law and the system and can make sure that your rights are protected and your child gets the supports they need. Schools railroad parents because we are not experts in the field. Just having an advocate can change their entire mindset.

Seconded.

We own two smart TVs. For one, we got an announcement from Amazon (I think, might have been Netflix) that to improve service to their customers, the TV would no longer work with their app.

Roku has more choices; presumably the Fire Stick etc. also do. The only real annoyance is that the TV’s remote doesn’t work any more - so you either have yet ANOTHER remote in the pile, or have to dig up a universal remote (whose buttons don’t match what you’re used to and aren’t labelled the way the TV apps expect).

Every state has a protection and advocacy organization to protect people of all ages with disabilities, including school children. Contact the one in your state and ask for advocacy resources.

Another potential source of advocacy resources.

Thanks @BippityBoppityBoo and @PackerMan2. I’ll look into an advocate. In the meantime, I’m taking a half day tomorrow so that I can give the IEP meeting my full attention. (And not have to worry about getting back to work)

My experience too. Marshaled 3 twice or thrice exceptional kids through 13 years each of public school, all with hard fought for IEPs. If you can find a friend who can go with you, take them. That was one of my mottos for IEP meetings: never go alone. They don’t have to know anything or say anything, just be there as a witness. Suggest they take copious notes (their grocery list, to do list, mindfulness meditations, but write things down). Be IEP meeting buddies with another parent with a kid in a different school and you go to their meetings.

That’s an interesting idea. It’d let you (or them, if they want to be the squaky wheel) say things like "Well, at Millard Fillmore Elementary, they bend over backwards to provide A, B… and C!"

Due to a whole mess with my insurance and my trip to Florida, I’m off methylphenidate/Concerta for my ADD. My shrink prescribed Guanfacine. I’ll be starting that tonight. We should all be on the lookout for fun side effects. Since I stopped the methylphenidate, I’ve been fatigued and irritable.

Back to my mini rant

I know the Eagles are playing in the Super Bowl. I don’t need the local news to devote half their airtime to stories about it.

I have a nasty rash on my chest. I know it started Friday as I was sweating and had my top on. I have some leftover nystatin from last years yeast infection(under boob) and this is quite similar.

Just in under the January rants with a good one. I had some shit to do today, not the least of which is to get to a bank to actually open an account on this coast and transfer my funds from my east coast credit union - on the way I thought I’d throw in a trip to the dog park and the weed store and a great day would be had by all.

Some fucker smashed out my driver side window and stole my dash cam. Parked in a “secure” parking garage, mind you, that I pay an extra $150/month for. I reported it to the office but I haven’t heard back; I don’t know if I expect to. I’ve already got an appointment on Friday for repairs but I had to jump through all these hoops because half of my info - like my car insurance - is based out of Maine.

I mean, I’m zen about it. I can afford the deductible and I was proud of myself for not freaking out and instead being a problem solver, but still … no car for three days … glass all over the inside of the thing … I’ll have to take a bus if I want to play poker tomorrow … not to mention that if anyone plays my dash cam videos I’ll probably end up on YouTube singing off key and yelling at the other cars.

I spent a good part of yesterday in the emergency room. It seems I’m down with a norovirus. I’ve had no food since yesterday morning (which didn’t stay down) so my glucose is spiking. And I’m short of breath every time I move more than a few feet.

Urgh.

The upside is that they’ll post those and you’ll become a YouTube sensation!

I quit watching evening news (local and national) about six months ago. And you know what? I don’t even miss it. I’m sure if I tuned in now, it would be wall-to-wall Chiefs coverage since we get the Kansas City TV stations. Super Bowl hype is bad enough, but it’s even worse when your local team is in it.

I can’t find the February thread. Has one been been made?

Anyway…hey there, Town of Nashville. It’s February. Take your damn Christmas tree down already.

Here you go, since your comment prompted me to start it (no one else had).

Thank you! \(^o^)/

I just watched an episode of season 3. Evidently, they are 10,000 years into the future… and they just reached “Star Fleet”. “Star Fleet” has new com badges now, and they all look like gold Va-Jay-Jays.

The crew, 90% women, all giggle as 1-2 say “Oh, I’m going to love playing with this…!”

No room for men in the future? Close timeline ( and slam it shut ).
Change the admiral’s name to Tig Bite-Me.