Harriet Tubman to Replace Andrew Jackson on $20 Bill

They wanted to put Rosa Parks on the back of the bill, but her picture refused to stay there.

There’s no reason we couldn’t have multiple circulating designs of a given denomination. That is, a consistent overall schema to readily distinguish denominations from one other, but with a handful of different figures individually represented at each. Those variations could be introduced one at a time, without pulling designs already circulating. Think of it as an ongoing national history lesson.

This made me quite literally lol

Good play.

Somewhere, Liberal is doing a happy dance.

Agreed.

It might not be a portrait. It could be a group rendering, like the signing of the Declaration of Independence on the back of the two dollar bill.

I burn mine to keep warm.

Unless you plan to assassinate Obama, he’s not eligible anyway.

Or Sacajawea or Susan B Anthony. Good lord, that was a ridiculous thing to say.

FlikTheBlue’s thread merged into the already-existing thread by PastTense. Sorry for any resulting confusion.

Lydia, the Tattooed Lady.

(“…up the hill comes Andrew Jackson…”)

BTW if I understand correctly, estimated replacement date for general circulation is 2020 – plenty of time for an unsympathetic new administration or filibustering Senate faction to change things yet again, I’d fear…

How about the sensibilities of their own time? I’m fairly certain that Andrew Jackson would not have wanted to be on paper money printed by a central bank, considering he opposed the Second Bank of the United States and issued the Specie Circular. So his fans (if he has any) as well as his foes should be happy with the move.

Depends on how conservative; the gold-bug hyperlibertarians still agree with Jackson’s opposition to paper money and having a central bank. :rolleyes:

Decent enough, keeping with my thoughts that the person on money should be some badass rather than someone who presided over economic expansion or some boring stuff :). And I like that she’s not too recent, much preferable to MLK (or JFK), who is kind of “default” in these situations.

I think he was the best candidate for removal because he was the least important in our history no matter what negative things he did, compared to Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Hamilton, Grant*, or Franklin. I suppose if Salmon P. Chase was still on a bill he’d be the best candidate.

*Maybe you could make the case for him though

I assume Smapti’s comment was a joke about current debit/credit card popularity.

I don’t know if this is still current, but $20 bills are the most popular in the US last I heard, but $100 are the most popular bill overall due to overseas use.

I’ve no objection to this. Jackson was not particularly praiseworthy, and Tubman was. Though I should point out that Jackson was relatively badass, as presidents go, if that’s our criterion (admittedly not as badass as TR, of course).

Stolen.

They are replacing a Democrat with a Republican. What could they possibly object to?

At least some of the more conservative sites seem ok with it. Sure, some think others would have been a better choice but so do many Dopers. No complaints that Tubman is not worthy.

From Breitbart:
Harriet Tubman to Replace Andrew Jackson on $20 Bill
No real partisan lean to the report itself, just the headline embracing Tubman as a Republican.

National Review Online:
Do Not Weep for Andrew Jackson

So you think this situation will never happen: Little old lady receives new Tubman bill at the supermarket in change, not realizing it at the time. Later when she discovers it she goes to the police: “The supermarket gave me counterfeit money!!!”

The reaction I’ve seen has been favorable, especially since Tubman is often portrayed carrying a gun.