Harry Harrison Has Died

Damn. RIP Harry Harrison.

Loved all his work mentioned above, except Stars and Stripes which I haven’t read. I’d also like to mention The Men From P.I.G. and R.O.B.O.T., a couple of novellas dealing with intelligent pigs as agents, and multifarious types of robots used for law enforcement purposes. Since I’m also a C S Forester fan, I must also mention his short story “Captain Honario Harpplayer, RN,” a great tribute and a parody.

I was given a book that combined all three of the Deathworld stories. High-gravity planets, arm-mounted guns, plus lots of problem solving stuff. I ate it up.

The first is available on Project Gutenberg

Haven’t read a lot of Harrison, but I liked the bit in one of his books about “Mutual Individualism,” and the Rat’s reaction to it. The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted, I think.

Now I know Make Room, Make Room! is not Soylent Green, I might consider reading it.

Very much like the system that is described in Eric Frank Russell’s “And Then There Were None” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Explosion by the way.

I really think that Avatar is a pretty direct rip-off of Deathworld, with a few frills (and species) thrown in as a disguise. I looked in the closing credits because I was so sure his name would be mentioned, but no.

RIP. Loved the SSR. The first character I ever read that was an athiest. He made me think.

That makes me sad. A book of his short stories was one of the first Sci Fi books I ever read.

I also enjoyed West of Eden.

Make Room, Make Room is also amazing. The movie plays up the detective story but the book is much more about the Sociology of over population. I’ve read it more than once.

RIP

But we have yet to see a Danish submarine equipped with an anti-gravity devise on the moon.

Very sad news.

I think my first and still favourite novel of his was The Technicolour Time Machine.

I got into The Stainless Steel Rat books from the 2000AD comic adaptations - Carlos Ezquerra drew him a little bit like James Coburn, and that’s how I imagined him. As per this fantastic cover. His version of Angelina was, er, striking.

Torturer: “Talk, dog!”
JimL: “Woof!”

Man, I loved those novels when I was a kid, and they’re still great nowadays, and I’m amazed they haven’t been filmed. “It’s like Bourne meets Minority Report but the hero takes a lot of drugs, doesn’t kill anyone, and speaks Esperanto; his sexy girlfriend used to kill people, but she was brainwashed!” The Peter Elson book covers were great in their own way, but they weren’t how I imagined Jim to look.

From there I picked up Bill, The Galactic Hero, a short story collection called Something Tales and Something Tomorrows, etc. He was much hipper than Clarke and Asimov, less hung up on the science, more direct than Bradbury, who also died recently. He did start to churn out Stainless Steel Rat books, though; I remember two of them had incredibly similar plots, and “Goes to Hell” wasn’t very good at all.

Last links with the past, dying off. Frederik Pohl’s still alive. Sadly Harrison doesn’t seem to be listed on Wikipedia’s “Golden Age of Science Fiction” article, perhaps someone can rectify that. He was quasi-new wave, though, a bit edgier and less sciencey than the others. Jesus, the article about New Wave is awful.