Harry Potter and the "Philosopher's" Stone? How'd they pull that one off?

So, the movie in the UK is going by the original title of the book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. So, were all the scenes where they mention the Stone in the movie, filmed twice, once for the British audience, once for the American? Just curious…

Yep. They filmed those scenes twice.

It struck me as rather odd they chose “Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone” as the US title given that most of the complaints about the stories seem to be related to it “encouraging sorcery”. I very much doubt that the alchemical references to the “Philosopher’s Stone” would have been too obscure for US audiences to grasp (or is alchemy considered “worse” than sorcery in the US?).

I think that most Americans, upon hearing “alchemy”, think of chemistry rather than anything supernatural. Likewise, “philosopher” conjures up boring hours of discussing Socrates and Plato.

I guess they stuck with sorcerer because that’s what the book title is here…

That’s the way I heard the story.

I don’t recall them ever saying “Sorcerer’s Stone” in the movie (I’m in the US), so if they did it was only mentioned a couple of times. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it was all from characters who were off-screen or had their backs to the camera. So I’d imagine they didn’t need to actually re-shoot anything, just re-loop the dialog.

Of course, I wasn’t paying THAT close attention, so all of this conjecture could be hogwash.

Just thought I’d point out that it’s “Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone” in Canada too.

I was just about to ask this question myself. Also I wanted to point out that SolomonGrundy must have REALLY not been paying attention, because they mention the “sorcerer’s stone” many, many times in many different scenes, and yes you can see the actors’ lips in most of the scenes. So re-looping the dialogue ain’t gonna cut it.