Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (Major Spoilers!!!)

Warning: Major Spoilers!

The book’s too long for me to give a detailed breakdown of it. I’ll just share my thoughts on some main events.

The book opens with Harry back at Dudley’s. Turns out that he’s been cut off from the magical world (we found out why later) and he’s frustrated about it.

Dementors attack (and he finds out his neighbour’s not so ordinary after all), Harry manages to ward it off. He’s later whisked to safety @ Sirius Black’s house, but not before the clash between Ministry of Magic and Dumbledore (over Harry’s alleged illegal use of magic).

We find that rules & the breaking of rules is a commonly recurring theme, with Dumbledore vs. MOM being the most exemplifiying. Well, Dumbledore’s removed from the Headmaster post, with this irritating MOM official replacing him.

We learn that Harry’s been having visions, through the ‘link’ he shares with Voldemort. Besides his recurring visions, Harry is able to sense extreme emotions in Voldemort.

Harry is lead into a trap and he faces of with He-who-must-not-be-named, and is eventually rescued by Dumbledore. In the epic battle, Sirius dies, and Harry is left to cope with the loss.

Well, I think it’s an improvement over the last book; though there are obvious parallels. We find that Harry is older this time, and Rowling seems to be pitching the book at slightly older children, perhaps adolescents. It is not the first time she ended the book with the death of a character, though Sirius is among the major characters in Phoenix. She deals with teenage angst pretty well, with Harry often questioning about adult responsibity and with him coming to terms over his godfather’s death.

However, points i’d like to take note of:

-I feel that the ending was a little too rushed. Sirius’ death was an anticlimax. Also, the ending a little too convenient. Think deus ex machina. However, we need to bear in mind that this is ultimately a kiddie’s book.

-Some characters were a little one-dimensional. Think Cho Chang- we don’t really get to know her or why she broke up with Harry. Their relationship seems a little strained/awkwardly written. (Though it is Rowling’s first attempt)

-credit should be given to Rowling for successly depicting the magical world in a realistic fashion. SHe brings in centaurs, giants and flying/invisible horses and ties them smoothly in the story

Overall, i’d give the book a solid B+.
OTher comments (i’m assuming you read the book):

-throughout the book, i caught snippets of british slang.eg ‘gits’ I heard that there are different versions of the book released in the States. If so, besides obvious spelling changes, are there modifications to the use of such slang in the book?

-Rowling doesn’t wrap up her loose ends very well. One is left wondering why Harry doesn’t end up (well, not in jail considering this is a children’s fairytale, but…) punished when he uses the Unforgivable curse. Ditto for the fake headmistress. Also, the children miraculously recover from their injuries. Think Ron being suffocated by the brains.

-If Dumbledore is depicted as so powerful (think final battle, where Voldemort flees, even before the other aurors come), then why should he be scared of the Dark Lord?

-IMO, Rowling should have done a ‘twist’ and revealed that Longbottom was the REAL wizard instead of HP. That would have been a major shocker. Pity the missed opportunity.

-I note that Rowling’s style has improved, although baby language (by that i mean sentences which obviously smack of a children’s book a la hardy boy sentences) is still present. Rowling does attempt humour, and is largely successful. Also, the use of foils and flashbacks, one in particular, the 2 way comms mirror, particularly impressed me. Sirius ultimately died because Harry didn’t unwrap the present in time.

One last comment. I feel that the book, while enjoyable, is too long. AFter reading, the events in the book are hazy at best. Rowling would have done better to cut down the lenght of the bok and focus on the main plot (which she did only in the last eighth of the book)

All that said, i still enjoyed the book. Go read it if you havn’t.

OTher comments? Opinions?

erm…ok…so i take it that no one has read the book yet? heh :smiley:

Please tell me that Voldemort finally kills the brat.
:smiley:

She may still go somewhere with the Longbottom possibility- there are two books left to go, after all.

Yes, like Fisher Queen, I think we have not seen the last of Neville’s heavy involvement in the Order. I was very pleased to see the way JKR developed his character (not much development but a little) and how Neville seems to be growing a little out of the the perpetually scared, fat, toad-hugging boy.

Now, to repeat a comment I had made on another BB, as much as the death of Sirius hurt, and yes, it did make me cry. I get into books, you know. As much as that hurt, I can’t see that being the only major character demise we will deal with before the end of the series. In Mad Eye’s photo of the first Order, fully half or more were dead at Voldemort’s (mostly through DeathEaters’) hands. I can’t see the Second War coming off with Sirius being the only casualty, especially when most of the Order is going to be half grown kids.

FB

I can’t believe Harry smashed up Dumbledore’s office! Naughty!

I think it was quite good that Harry found out that his dad was actually a bit of a prune, as his parents have always been too good to be true.

And I love Luna and her radish earrings.

Oh yeah! I loved those…but most especially, Mad Eye Moody’s hat ROCKS!

FB

Just a few things,

I bought it yesterday, and read it straight through, so I guess I liked it, though I didn’t have anything else to do either.[list=1]
[li]I agree with the OP and others, the death was poorly handled. I didn’t really care about it that much. I was hoping it was going to be Ron or Hermoine, just because that would have been some real tragedy. Sirius? <shrug>[/li][li]I thought the writing overall was much, much better. As I read the first 300 pages or so, I even wondered if there hadn’t been a little extra heavy use of the red ink by the eds. The last 200 pages though sort of fall apart. She just doesn’t handle action scenes very well, and I was hoping that for once Harry and Co. would get out of something on their own.[/li][li]The romance was about as poorly done as Star Wars Episode II.[/li][li]I do think this book is for an older audience. There were several parts which, as I read them, made me think that I wasn’t sure 5-7 year olds would, or should, understand. House elf heads on walls? Writing lines in your own blood? Yikes.[/li][li] This book may put an end to the movie franchise. This book 1) departs substantially from the pattern of the first 4, and 2) is damn long.[/li][li] The ministry of magic and Percy et. al. are a little too stupid, while apparently not being in the hands of Voldm. [/li][li] Dumbledoor’s explination? Another disapointment. “I’m going to tell you everything…” were there any surprises there? “Um, Harry, you and the big V are linked, and one of you must die…” Thanks JK! I was hoping for “V is your *real[/i father … Nooooooooooooo” [/li][/list=1]
I have other thoughts as well, but that is a good start and what I remember off the top of my head. Overall, I would say the best of the bunch, but still with room for improvement. B+.

OK, some questions for y’all:

1. Does Rupert Murdoch have any business interests in the magical world? I mean, The Prophet is obviously a News Ltd. paper, right? The Fox Prophet or something? Isn’t there any quality journalism in the magical world? Where are the guys behind Fudgegate?

2. Why weren’t we introduced to John Ashcroft at the ministry? He does work there, right? That place has all the signs of his involvement. And I’m thinking that in conjucntion with the War on Voldemort, there should be Voldemort alert levels - yellow, orange, red.

OK, enough of that. No, I’m not taking the books too seriously :smiley:

As for the book: yeah, I liked it. There were some moments of not so good writing, but overall it was done well. Though, I think I would have screamed had I read about a character saying something “coolly” one more time (“What are you talking about , Harry Potter,” said Ginny coolly.)

And along those lines, wasn’t Harry a prat this time round? I mean, sure the boy’s under a bit of pressure, but he was acting like a right tosser for much of that year. As usual, Hermione was more sensible than all of them put together.

I too would have liked a bit more development on the Cho front; I thought it most unsatisfactory the way she was just dismissed at the end.

Also, how long can Snape keep up the Malfoy-loving, Voldemort-hating schtick? He’s got to see the conflict of interest there, right?

Well, see, if you’d read your slash like a good boy, you’d know that Malfoy and Snape…

er, n/m…another post, another time :smiley:
FB

I think it’s about time Harry was pissed off, considering how much crap he’s been through. And even if it wasn’t for that, teenagers ARE angry. The whole way through I kept thinking, “Yep, I’d have reacted pretty much the same way myself,” even though I’m a girl. It really sucks when nobody will tell you the important stuff that’s happening, no matter how good their motives might be.

i think that jkr is aiming the books at the age of the characters. you start reading the books at 11 and finish them at 17 or 18. with that theory the books are written just right.

no 15 year old is going to have a boy/girl relationship that isn’t ackward, with a ton of misunderstandings. at 15 you have a unrealistic picture of what a relationship is like and if it doesn’t go as planned the blowups are rather dramatic. i think the harry/cho relationship works for the age they are. they like each other but don’t know where to go with it or how to go, so they speak/ break off/ speak/ break off etc.

I agree with rocking chair that Harry’s awkward romance with Cho is very realistic (almost educational).
On the whole, I found the book more moving, more fun and richer in every way, then part 1-3. Each book is better then the last.

I liked the way JK Rowling, while keeping Harry’s story the central one, gives glimpses of the fact that all other persons have their own lives, goals and their own problems. Again, very educational :slight_smile:
In the earlier volumes, Harry seldom seemded to notice the persons around him have their own lives.
In part five, we catch glimpses of Hermione is still writing to Kruml, Ginny is growing up, Snape is traumatized by James Potter, Sirius is lonely and losing grip, Sirius’ house-elf is severely traumatized, Dumbledore is making mistakes, Cho is ambivalent, the centaur Firenze is making a principal choice that alienates him from his herd etc etc.

And thank God the Quidditch-ups and -downs have stopped! They were getting old.

I do not know why Luna Lovegood is such an interesting new character, but she definitely is, as FaerieBeth and **fizzygoodmakefeelnice ** remarked. Especially considering the little part she plays. Anybody have any suggestions as to why? She is not much more of a geek then, say, Hermione?

Oh and I’m taking bets whetether Harry will finally fall in love with Luna of with Hermione in part 6 of 7!

Count me out on the Harry/Hermione bet. I maintain a firm belief that it will end up Ron/Hermione. They were made for each other!

FB

True, there is a lot of bickering between Hermione and Ron.
But couldn’t they just bicker because Hermione has to correct Ron everytime he says something thoughtless or just plain stupid? Which, IMHO is more often the further we get down in the series?

Ron was nothing but a sidekick-character to Harry to begin with, with a few added qualities (chess, poor large family) but his character is made of cardboard. THIN cardboard.

What would Hermione SEE in the guy?

Ok, it finally came to me. Something was bothering me about the book, and now i know what it is.

Snape pulls the scene of James harrassing him out of his head and puts it in the pool so Harry won’t see it. So, when he comes back and find’s Harry looking at it, how does Snape know what Harry has scene? I mean, he may remember that he put an embarrassing memory in the pool, but he can’t remember what that memory was, or else there would be no point in putting it in there in the first place. But, he says “amusing man, your father wasn’t he?” How does Snape know the memory in the pool relates to Harry’s father?

If Snape took out the memory, wouldn’t he know which one he’d taken out?

No, I think he would know he took a memory out, but he shouldn’t know which one it was. What is the point of taking the memory out if you remember the content of the memory you took out?

Maybe he took out the most embarassing instances of his humiliations at the hands of James Potter, but knew that was the general subject of all the memories he stuck in the pool.

I was kind of hoping Rowling would run with this a little more. I was kind of hoping that Dumbledore had also picked out the Durselys in part to help prevent Harry from being a prick like his father when he got to Hogwarts – figuring that, having spent ten years as a put-upon outcast, he’d be a lot more sympathetic to the uncool kids at Hogwarts and thus less likely to be mean to them just for the fun of it.

Other points:

1. Harry Potter’s finally a surly teenager! I’m with gex gex on this one. There were moments where Harry was channeling Holden Caulfield, especially at the beginning at the Durselys.

2. Slytherin Quidditch fans = Duke basketball fans.

3. If Harry needs to be at the Durselys when he’s not at Hogwarts for his own protection, wasn’t the few weeks he spent with the Weasleys at the beginning of book 4 kind of a big risk?

4. Fred and George Weasley RULE.

5. The Cho romance that never quite gets off the ground is spot on…just as awkward and stupid as most teenage relationships.

6. For a minute or two there, I thought Hermione was gonna be the one to get offed.

7. Will the public revelations in this book bring ruin to the house of Malfoy? Is Draco destined to show up in book 6 as a pauper?

8. Up until the last three or so pages, I was thinking Rowling was going to possibly redeem the Dursleys in the next book. It’s disappointing that she reversed course at the very last minute.

The only Dursley she seemed interested in redeeming was Petunia, and Petunia never actually said anything. It’s possible Harry was just misinterpreting her reactions.

On Snape’s memories - Why did he take them out in front of Harry, then leave the Pensieve in plain view? I wonder if maybe he wanted Harry to see what his father had been like in school, either to shatter Harry’s perception of his father or to possibly coax Harry into some sympathy with himself (Snape). It’s just a theory, but Snape really couldn’t have been more obvious about what he was doing.