Has an Oscar ever been revoked??

Please forgive me if this has been asked already, but this is an emergency! LOL I can’t recall that any ever have, but can it be done? Is it possible??

Waiting with bated breath!!!

I seem to remember that there was an error in the vote tally one year that they figured out some time later and they had to take the Oscar from someone and give it to the real winner. That was what prompted the big deal that they make about the accountants who now certify the results. Google is cooperating right now so I could be full of crap.

Haj

Doesn’t sound like it, according to this.

That should be Google isn’t cooperating. Maybe it’s my lousy typing.

Haj

Thank you, Desmostylus, hajario, swanky and Max Torque!!! You guys are wonderful!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

swanky, you have remarkable insight!! LOL!!

Unless somebody broke a rule - and you’d think they wouldn’t let that happen AGAIN - it ain’t gonna happen. (I’m taking a big leap and assuming that this is in reference to the people who want to take away Michael Moore’s Oscar because they didn’t like what he said after winning it - which he did, fair and square.) Besides, if they started revoking Oscars left and right, wouldn’t they have to stop giving them to bad movies? :wink:

Unless somebody broke a rule - and you’d think they wouldn’t let that happen AGAIN - it ain’t gonna happen. (I’m taking a big leap and assuming that this is in reference to the people who want to take away Michael Moore’s Oscar because they didn’t like what he said after winning it - which he did, fair and square.) Besides, if they started revoking Oscars left and right, wouldn’t they have to stop giving them to bad movies? :wink:

ARG. To add a thought, I think the category is “best foreign language film.” American companies are often very involved in producing, distributing, and making these movies. Long as it ain’t in English, it’s eligible - after all, British movies don’t go in this category.

And there are cases of Oscars being swiped after the awards. Hattie McDaniels donated her “Gone With the Wind” Oscar to Howard University, from which it disappeared years later – a disappearance widely believed to be caused by distaste for her role in that film. My guess is if they ever drain the Anacostia, they’ll find it.

Plus Homer stole Haing Ngor’s Oscar (later modified to Don Ameche’s).

A few awards have been refused by the people they were awarded to. Most famously, when Marlon Brando won his Oscar for The Godfather, he sent a Native American named “Sacheen Littlefeather” to reject the Oscar on his behalf, on the grounds that Hollywood was discriminating against Indian actors. (Ironically, Mrs. Littlefeather turned out not to be Native American at all, but a Hispanic actor in Indian dress.)

>> Ironically, Mrs. Littlefeather turned out not to be Native American at all, but a Hispanic actor in Indian dress

Define “Hispanic”. I would say Hispanics are descended from natives. Or are natives from south of the border not really natives?

Marley 23, thank you for your answer!! I do appreciate your efforts, and yes, it was in reference to Mr. Moore. The subject came up at another board, and the only real experts I trust …are the people here! Not only are you all excellent researchers, some of you have a fair amount of telepathy, too! LOL

Satisfying Andy Delicious, thank you!! I loved Hattie McDaniels in that movie, and Butterfly McQueen, too! Sorry to hear the lady’s Oscar was ummmmmmmmm misplaced, because she certainly did deserve it, whether it was a desirable role or not.

KGS, thanks for that wonderful story. I remember that happening, but had no idea Mrs. Littlefeather was a phony. How really deliciously ironic!!

sailor, thank you, too. I do believe there may be confusion about Hispanic ethnicity based on where a particular person was raised; after all, most of Texas was once Mexico, so that would make a Hispanic person a native and maybe even a Native American, as there were certain tribes and factions within that culture. Matter of interpretation, perhaps???

Are there people seriously calling for Moore’s Oscar to be revoked, because he has political views opposed the theirs? Are they starting a Hollywood blacklist, too?

It started as a joke, then people got to wondering if an Oscar had ever been revoked, or if was even possible. There’s no blacklist that I know of, but plenty of people who do not choose to support some actors, which is well within their rights.

Thanks for your comment, Retvim!!!

Some people are calling for Moore’s Oscar to be revoked because there has been a good bit of talk that he staged some scenes in Bowling for Columbine which is a definite no-no for a documentary.

No, there is no new Hollywood blacklist starting up.

Yes, but those are people with political motivations looking for an excuse.

Marley, you could be right; I just don’t assume to know what other people think or what motivates them.

Surely they should get to keep it if they put up that convincing a performance.