Has anyone ever seen a list of the most common REASONS people choose their particular 4 digit pin number?

Please note: I’m not asking which pin numbers are most often used, I’ve seen lists of those common numbers (like 1234, 1111, 5555, etc.) but WHY people choose what they do.

Some ideas I’ve had:

A year date of personal significance to them, like when they got married/graduated from college.

A year date of historical significance, like the Battle of Hastings or the discovery of America.

A month/day (or day/month for Brits I guess) of personal significance, like their birthday/child’s birthday.

Ditto for historical – DDay or Christmas perhaps.

A number that was randomly assigned to them that they know they’ll always remember. Like the last four digits of a particular telephone number or your SS number. (For years I’d used the last four digits of a particular library card. I’d done volunteer work there for years, and memorized it because I could type it in to take out books instead of having to dig out my actual library card.)

A number from a cultural use, like Jenny’s number.

What other reasons have you used/known others to use in picking these ‘gotta remember’ numbers?

A four-letter word (heh) or name, with the letters converted to numbers using the “telephone keypad” method.

A four-note melody, with the notes converted to numbers using do=1, re=2, etc.

I use the final score of a memorable game.

I use three PINs, I believe. Two were just my assigned random number that I carried along from bank to bank, since I had them already memorized, and the other one has something to do with an address I’ve had.

“PIN Number”? Personal Identification Number Number?

No! It’s just a PIN. Or if you feel you must, a PI number. See Also: ATM Machine.

My personal identification number number was randomly generated.

It was my register password when I worked at Safeway 25 years ago. Seemed as good a number as any.

NOT my PINs:
Primes: 2,3,5,7
Triangular numbers:1,3,6,1(0)
Squares: 0,1,4,9

Brian

My hot water heater agrees with you.

mmm

Two of my PINs (no longer in use) I chose because they made a spatial sequence on the keypad that was easy to remember in muscle memory. I suspect that is the case for quite a few self-chosen PINs.

My mathematically inclined family members use something that has a connection to a formula that amuses them. I know one of them uses various chunks of pi.

I resort to old phone numbers and addresses. Unfortunately, my memory for numbers is so bad that I’m often a digit or two off, so I have to write it down somewhere anyway.

Yeah - childhood phone number/address - duplicated or backwards if getting crazy sophisticated!

For my iPhone, iPad, and debit card I use all ones (1111). I do that because it is easy and quick to input. My phone, tablet, and debit card are three items I’ll never lose, so why not opt for simplicity?

My first ATM card back in 86’ had an assigned PIN.
37 years and a half dozen banks later I still use that PIN when given the option to choose.

I chose two numbers I felt were significant to me due to personal reasons and observer bias. (Re: The Law of Fives)

For my first job that involved a 4-digit log-in, I picked 7413 because on the clunky old num pad I could swipe my index finger down the left side for the 741, then hit the 3 and ‘enter’ with my middle and ring fingers. It was ruthless efficiency, nothing more. I haven’t used it since.

The numbers I rotate through are memorable numbers from my past. One is a number that was somehow assigned to me randomly to me both as an employee code and a social club membership number in the space of a few months.

When I can pick my PIN I choose something that makes a word via the letters on the number keys. Much easier to remember.

I avoid using numbers that have any significance, unless a site stupidly insists on using the the last four digits of your SSN as your PIN, etc. But, I sometimes transpose digits or jumble parts of one random PIN with another, and self-doubt sets in and I get flustered. To combat this, after generating a random number, I think up a way to reassure myself I am recalling it correctly. For a random number I use at work, my mnemonic is the pattern/shape I draw when entering it. For my debit card PIN, I chose a random sequence of numbers, then thought up a word I could associate with it. Examples: If my number was 2748 (it isn’t), saying the first syllable of each number out loud yields to-sev-for-ate, which reminds me of the phrase ‘to seperate’. If my number was 6734 (again, it isn’t), I could think what that looks like if I typed it on a calculator, then flipped the screen over - hELP.

One of mine is the Day the Music Died. Another is from a favorite tv show. (Hint: Best care anywhere.)

For a 4 digit PIN, it’s part of a phone number that’s been disconnected for years.

If I need a 6 digit PIN, I just re-use the first 2 digits of the original PIN.

That’s if I have to choose a PIN. My debit card and VISA card have different PINs, and neither of them use the PIN which is based on the disconnected phone number.