Has anyone ever survived an abortion?

What they are quickly placed in the body bag, THEN resuscitated? :wink:

During the congressional meetings regarding late term, partial birth abortions, at least two nurses testified that they had been present when a fetus “slipped out” still alive. It’s theoretically possible, but they were certainly not presenting unbiased testimony. I can’t find any sites on it right now except for some ugly anti-choice sites, so I won’t link to them. Google right to a dead baby if you want to search yourself.

I don’t get it.

In one method of abortion, a strong saline solution is injected into the amniotic sac.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Depends on the time frame, no? If someone would go on to die (for good) if not resuscitated, then before said resusitation begins that person could be said to have drowned.

Given Colibri and Walloon’s posts, it seems in order to be counted the person has to die. And in some cases, people may die and then be resuscitated - So i’d count that as an actual drowning. It doesn’t say in the definition death has to be permanent.

My dad’s a murder-by-gunshot survivor.

Did he die and have to be resuscitated?

No, he survived a murder attempt. It’s like saying someone came back from the dead; it is an oxymoron, because death is by definition, the permanent cessation of of life. If you come back, you weren’t dead.

I hope I haven’t inadvertently summoned you-know-who…

Perhaps he was only mostly dead.

I remember having a speaker in high school describing how in late term abortions the fetuses frequently came out alive and had to be “drowned in a bucket”. :rolleyes:

Guess folks aren’t afraid to make political hay in GQ…FWIW, have a gander at googling Raymond Showery.

Yeah, I was pretty much kidding. An unfunny joke, if you will (I know, I know, oxymoron…).

My dad did survive a gunshot wound to the head, though.

Yup, Gianna Jessen does a lot of public speaking. I’m reading a book about her now, actually. Her mother was 7.5 months pregnant when she went in for a saline abortion, and instead of delivering a dead fetus as expected, Gianna was born alive and rushed to a nearby hospital. Sadly, she has cerebral palsy as a result of the attempted abortion. She clearly prefers that to being dead, though.

Perhaps the loophole here is the word death. Haven’t some people qualified as clinically dead but brought back?

If some one is revived after clinical death, the only conclusion is, the means of detecting clinical death is imperfect.

I did and NOT to make this political, but I only got very hardcore anti-choice sites. There was no entry for him on Wiki or anywhere else.

I can agree with that, but dopers are arguing over the symantics of abortions and electrocution means death so that means people can’t ‘survive’ it, but using their symantics death itself is not final and people can survive that - at least for a while.

Either that, or the body retains the biological wherewithal to be resuscitated. Why must it be that they didn’t die?