Has anyone gotten this type of "email" or spam?

Basically I posted a profile on AOL’s love.com :rolleyes: Now twice, on the email I have registered to that, and only that account, I’ve gotten a letter in the form of the following:

“Hi, did you get my last email? I just moved to (your town) from Colorado, looking to meet people. i’m on my friend’s PC, she moved here a few months ago. you can view my profile on (site not love.com). i don’t know how long i’ll keep this email, you can call me tommorow at 6 pm (number without area code)”

It’s came from two different source emails, and referred to profiles on two other matching sites, but both profiles are of the same person. Anyoen seen/heard of this before? seems a bit gimmicky, with the “did you get my last email” when both times this is the FIRST email. Also the phone # has no area code and thre’s about 7 it could be :smack: .

Worth calling? Probably spam? Someone trying to reroute my call to south africa and charge me $$$? :dubious:

Definitely spam, especially if the two emails ostensibly from different people link to the same person/profile. Either your email address was harvested from where you posted it or perhaps that evil bastard who sold off AOL’s subscriber list included you on it. Calling the number will probably land you in some sort of “$3.95 for the first minute” type of phone line, or perhaps to someone wanting to sell you a membership in a dating service.

Actually both emails claim to be from the same person, “Jane” and the profile matches. but since both were from different emails with the same form letter it got me suspicious…that and the fact a women would approach me and give the digits :eek:

I get 20 of those a day. What would make you think it is NOT a spam/scam? 98% of all email is!

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
Well, over my 5 email accounts, I may get 1-3 legitimately spam emails per week. Most of teh time it’s somethign that I gave my email to. So I definitely do not get 98% of spam per week. I’m about 500 spam messages short :smiley:

Lucky bastard, I get at least 9 or 10 a day on a single account.

Is it possible to be charged $3.95 (or any amount) for the first minute (or any length of time) by dialing only a seven digit number? I thought toll numbers were designated by the 3 digit pre-prefix that falls in the area code slot of the 10-digit number.

That latter posibility sounds reasonable (local telemarketing), but I’m not sure that you could make a toll call by dialing only a local number.

Sounds like spam to me. I get them occasionally on accounts that I use only for registering to try free software. I wouldn’t bother with it.

You may have a spam filter on those accounts, or they are too new to have accumulated in spam databases, or the addresses are non-obvious to the spam address generator programs, or you have been extraordinarily careful in posting or distributing the address. From what I read in the trades and hear from colleagues, my experience of 300 spams/viruses a day per unfiltered account is pretty typical. YMMV.

Milquetoast, there was a telephone number allocation scheme years ago to put a 976 exchange prefix in EVERY area code for commercial purposes only. This idea predates the cheap long distance service we now have. I don’t know if this is a toll call, but it might be, as that would handle the billing for the commercial service provided.

Nope. I have the active filter that allows me to view spam tagged messages, but there are rarely any to be seen. Just lucky I guess.

A fair proportion of spam I get (including mobile phone text messages) uses the old ‘did you get my previous email, this is the second time I’ve tried to reach you’ trick. It attempts to work on several fronts;

1/ We’ve been in contact before, we have a dialogue going on here, this is not unsolicited.
2/ Doh! You may have deleted my previous email because it looked like spam. But this is not spam, even though it looks like it.
3/ We really, really want to talk to you, so it must be important, you really must reply.
4/ There’s a danger that if you don’t reply to this second attempt we might give up on trying to reach you, and give our hot lovin’/million dollar prize to someone else. Quick!