Has anyone heard of the Yammer worm?

Here is the e-mail forwarded to me by someone:

[quote= We have been notified of a new cyber worm called Yamanner that
> displays a subject of “New Graphic Site.” The worm exploits a
> vulnerability in the Yahoo e-mail service to send a copy of itself to
> the user’s Yahoo e-mail contacts. The user doesn’t even have to click
> on an attachment; just opening the message will launch the worm.
>
> We have taken the recommended precaution of blocking this worm from
> our mail servers to prevent it from spreading. However, it is still
> possible to receive this worm by accessing Yahoo mail. As such, users
> are reminded that the use of outside web-based e-mail services such as
> Yahoo is prohibited on Department computers. Only GroupWise and
> GroupWise WebAccess should be utilized for Department e-mail.
>
> Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions,
> comments or concerns about these or any other information security
> issues.[/quote]

Now, Snopes hasn’t heard of it, and doing several searches on Yahoo! search engines as well as Google brings up a bunch of Yammer links, but all legitimate and nothing about a Yammer worm. Plus, can a worm really do this? Open itself up before you even open the attachment? Please help.

Try searching on Google news for “Yamanner”. It is the topic of a number of news stories:The e-mail virus, or worm, has been dubbed Yamanner and landed in Yahoo mailboxes bearing the headline “New Graphic Site.” Once opened, the message infects the computer and spreads to other users listed in Yahoo users’ e-mail address books, security experts said.

The e-mail containing the virus need only be opened – in contrast to most worms that are hidden in attachments and require users to take an additional step – to release the virus, according to computer security site Symantec Corp…

[QUOTE]

Rats. Mods, could I get a little help on my lousy coding?

Snopes has it now, although it’s just been added recently.

SD

Yeah, well look at my typo right in the heading. Sorry!
Don’t know how I didn’t get that link. But wow, so it really opens soon as you open the e-mail. Haven’t heard of that before.

Glad I don’t use Yahoo! Mail anymore.

The best way to find out about worms, and it’s like is to visit an Antivirus home page.

I got suspicious when there were multiple messages all with the same heading.
I deleted them all, unopened.

A little history: There were worms that could take advantage of holes in both Outlook and Outlook Express around 2000-2001 that would launch themselves using tools like Active-X or the preview pane.
I do not know anything about Yahoo’s Email interface, but malicious programs have definitely launch themselves in the past in other email clients.
Going even further back, there was a t least one floppy disk virus that would auto-install itself as soon as you put the diskette in.

Jim