Has Anyone Heard the Expression "Ass over Teakettle"

I’ve used the expression my whole life. Picked it up from my parents. All of us are Minnesota born.

I’ve heard the phase “asses and elbows” to mean either cramped or frenetic activity.

Grew up in Chicagoland, most of my adult life in or around San Francisco. I know it, use it, but have no idea where or when I first encountered it.

I’ve heard the phase “asses and elbows” to mean either cramped or frenetic activity.

My mother’s phrase for that was “in and out like a fart in a colander”. On the other hand, my father’s euphemism for the OP’s phrase was “base over apex”.

I’ve heard it occasionally on British TV shows but never in real life.

I suppose it’s anybody’s guess where William Carlos Williams picked it up.

That’s right. Arse over tit is commonplace in the UK, especially in London, but also elsewhere. If it is also common in New England, that suggests it has a long history.

I heard it on a podcast in the last week or so. The guy who used it is from Louisville.

I used it myself a couple of months ago.

I got into my hammock, which promptly flipped me out the other side. I landed in an indescribably strange position. My phone rang just then, so I took it out of my pocket and answered. When asked how I was, I replied, “I’m fine, except that I just fell ass over teakettle out of my hammock and I’m still up-side-down. “