Has anyone noticed a difference after taking fish-oil capsules?

My folks have been taking them for a year or so. They said they didn’t notice any change until they forgot to take the packet on a recent holiday.

It wasn’t a huge difference, but they were feeling stiff (not in the good way) and achy enough to go buy more capsules.

Neither of them has complained of fishiness and they would tell me, in far too much detail.

Yeah. I had been taking fish oil for cholesterol but my triglycerides were still high. My doctor (who is NOT a touchy-feely homeopath or anything like that) told me to double up on the fish oil, and my triglycerides dropped 120 points in 6 weeks.

No burps, no fishy smell, no other side effects.

Uh, fishy urine isn’t good–I’d get checked for a bladder infection if that were me.

I’ve been taking fish oil caplets 1200mg 1-3 times a day (Nature’s Bounty, no fishy burps) for the past year (or thereabouts) and I don’t know if it’s the fish oil or the pregnancy but I’ve been practically zen. My mood’s been pretty darn stable and when messed up stuff happens I don’t really dwell on it like I used to.

I cut my arm open on some barb wire, exposing fat and the dark earthworm looking vein and was just like, “Huh, that’s not right” and told my work partner we had to go to the emergency room so I could get stitches. She took a look and FREAKED, so I spent most of the ride reassuring and calming her. This was a pleasant 180 from a previous experience where I had a small chunk torn out of the bottom of my foot and ended up passing out on the bathroom floor.

But again, I’ve no idea if my even mood has anything to do with the fish oil or if I’m lucky and this kid is pumping me full of hormonal mood-stabilizers. Other than the mood, I haven’t noticed any other effects, but I’ve never had a cholesterol or joint/inflammation problem.

The evidence shows that the omega-3’s are quite useful for lowering triglycerides.

Other claims made for them have not been well-substantiated.

asking as a medical/nutritional ignorant, how does taking what are essentially fat pills lower your triglycerides?

I’ve been taking omega-3 but with Niacin, since my doctor told me to take both together. I don’t know if that’s standard. Maybe Qadgop can talk about it. Triglycerides down about 140 points over 5 years.

That’s not feelable. I don’t feel healthier or peppier or more tolerant of idiocy or anything like that. I think that anyone claiming you’d feel that way from fish oil is a quack.

I have been having trouble with hypertension and omega-3 fish oil has helped bring my blood pressure down.

Much the same as after eating a tuna fish sandwich. Or salmon for dinner. Nothing overpowering, but noticable. Much like after eating asparagus.

No fishiness here.

I notice I’m slightly less achy, have a calmer mood (so helpful for perimenopause), and have slightly less dry skin since taking them. They do help with cholesterol levels too.

There are good fats and there are bad fats. Read all about it.

I have been taking OTC fish oil that I buy at Costco for years, on my PCP’s recommendation, along with my normal cholesterol meds. No ill effects that I’ve noticed. I take one in the morning and one in the evening before bed. I also take a baby aspirin each day. My wife is on the same regime, even though she doesn’t have a cholesterol issue.

Warning, anecdote: When my wife had surgery earlier this year her surgeon told her to stop taking the baby aspirin and the fish oil pills because they inhibit clotting. I had never heard that about the fish oil before…

Hey all,

Just wanted to check in to let you know that i have been reading and appreciating the responses. I have nothing really to add but didn’t want y’all to think I disappeared :slight_smile:

I find the fish oil makes me more ‘regular’ - less of a constipation problem. And I think they have a generally good effect on my mental health. I have fewer dark thoughts when I take it regularly.

Is mental stability a side effect allegedly of these things? 'cause I could go for some of that, as could my wife.

Hmmmm

I remember some report on a little study done using prison inmates and giving them fish oil supplements and having a reduction in violent incidents, but I can’t find it, or any other cites really. But I’m having a lazy google day, so here’s just awebmd link. The one thing to make sure of if you’re going to spend the money on the supplements is to check the edf list and make sure you aren’t wasting money on a pill that’s full of contaminants.

And I guess, like other mood stabilizers, it’s not an instant fix (if it’s a fix at all) so give it time to work if you try it.

Wow. That’s fascinating. I’ve never smelled any foody smells in my urine. :slight_smile:

Try asparagus.

I’ve eaten asparagus, and not noticed a smell. Maybe I didn’t eat enough at one sitting?

At the advice of my PCP, I’ve been taking 4000 milligrams of fish oil a day for a few years, and my triglycerides have gone down quite a bit. Some of that is due to increased exercise, but I haven’t increased my exercise that much.
Edit: and my blood vessels are supple and silky smooth.

BTW, not only is this diet a good idea, but it can also help one to lose weight. I’ve been following these guidelines closely for the last 7 months, and I’ve lost 30 lbs. in the process.