Has anyone noticed a difference after taking fish-oil capsules?

Or garlic. Or really really cheap beer when you were a broke college student.

Um. Not as obsessive about this as it seems, honest.

as has probably been addressed here before (but I’m too lazy to search)…

everybody produces the noxious asparagus pee, but only 22% of us can smell it!

And regarding “good fats” and “bad fats”, I’m constantly surprised how many people are still stuck in the mid-80’s mindset that all fat is bad, and more fat means higher cholesterol. That science is over 25 years old, and has been disproved many times since. The food companies, on the other hand, are still happy to sell you “fat-free” products that make you more unhealthy… maybe some people get their diet advice from Kraft?

oh, I’m aware of the different kinds of fats, it’s just that it seems counterintuitive that if you have high triglyceride levels, that taking pills containing fats (which are conglomerations of triglycerides) could actually lower the levels in your system.

Counterintuitive, but true:

Would swallowing live gold fish be equally beneficial?

I had the exact same experience with stinging eyes, and I interpreted it the same way - it seemed if I washed my face it got better, so I figured it was face grease seeping into my eyes. It turns out I have Dry Eye Syndrome, which is a little more serious than it sounds - my corneas had started to erode due to it. There is at least one study showing omega-3s help this condition.

So you might want to mention it to your eye doctor and have them look at your corneas!

Regarding bleeding and fish oil, my MIL told me she’s not allowed to take it because her platelet count is low. :confused:

I take Carlson’s every day, largely due to the studies indicating it might help with depression. But as it’s part of a holistic approach, it’s hard for me to say that one thing is helping.

I tried taking fish oil, but no matter what I did (different times of day, before/during/after meal), I would always feel sick to my stomach from about 30 mins up to a couple of hours afterward.

Yes.
Or equally ineffectual, actually.

That makes a lot of sense, and I’m sure I’ve got some sort of dry eye thing going on, as I have to keep a bottle of artificial tears on the nightstand. Last eye check, my corneas were normal, at least.

I’ve taken them for years and never noticed anything. My triglycerides were high even on them, so they did nothing for that.

I do have a coworker in her 50s who said they did help her knee and hip joints out tremendously when she started, and several coworkers the same age who say the same. But I can’t pinpoint any cardiovascular or mental health benefits to fish oil. But I take them anyway since they are my only source of omega 3 fats.

Have you taken them in conjunction with niacin? As I said, my doctor wanted me to take both of them together. Niacin works on cholesterol and the fish oil on triglycerides. Online searches show that many non-quacky sites do recommend both.

If you haven’t tried niacin, ask your doctor about it. Regular niacin does create ridiculously uncomfortable hot flushes in a minority of patients, and I hate them. I switched to Slo-Niacin, a brand of controlled release designed to minimize flushing. It’s listed as acceptable by the Mayo Clinic. There is also no-flush niacin, but everybody not directly involved in selling it says that it is worthless because it uses a wrong formulary.

My dry skin in winter is slightly less annoying when I take the fish oil capsules.

Also, I experience a synergistic effect with the Sam-e I take.

I am quite a bit more cheerful these days and much less of a snarly old fart.

Here’s some interesting recent research on Omega 3 and synaptic function:
http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.2736.html

The thing I noticed when taking omega 3 6 and 9’s is my skin became clear and the spots along my jawline disappeared, also the little red bumps on the top of my arms disappeared too.

It was a mixture of flax, starflower and fish oil.

I can’t remember what all forms I’ve used, but a regular (non-slow release form) caused severe flushing when I took 1g at once. I have heard your body adapts to it though.

I have tried inositol hexaniacinate but I don’t think that works as well as the regular stuff, at least the studies aren’t as supportive.

Plus I have heard there are liver issues with time release stuff, so I’d need to find a doctor to work with.

Yes, certainly talk to your doctor. All niacin products have some implications for those with pre-existing liver disease. However, there are some good reports.

Multiple-dose efficacy and safety of an extended-release form of niacin in the management of hyperlipidemia

I have a family history of hypertension as well as high cholesterol, so my PCP recommended them to me a few years ago. My numbers have remained consistently low in both :slight_smile:

I’ve never had an issue with fish burps. Maybe a slight fishy smell upon opening the bottle, but that’s it.

How do you know that? :eek: