Has anyone used Spam Arrest?

Fed up with spam, am I? Yep. Eudora had an ad for something called Spam Arrest, so I thought I’d look at it, expecting to be disappointed. Guess what? It doesn’t look half bad.

The general idea is that the first time (only) a new person sends e-mail to you, they have to look at a picture showing a word and copy that word into a text box. Since only a human could do this, auto-mailers and the like are out. And if a spammer should do it, you can block their address and they have to do it again with their next address. Cost: $20 every six months.

I’ll stop sounding like a Spam Arrest ad now and get to the point. While I was signing up for the free 30-day trial, I found out that I needed to submit my POP3 server IP address, username and password for it to work. I cringed at that.

Sure, I’m running my own mail server, so if this turns out to be crap I’ll change the password in one shake of a lamb’s tail, or even change the username if necessary. I still don’t feel too comfortable submitting this information on a webpage. Has anyone else used Spam Arrest? Good/bad experiences? Any aid is appreciated.

You might look up this thread from IMHO regarding e-mail challenges. The system sounds great, but in my experiences a LOT of legitimate business e-mail wasn’t getting through because legitimate senders were either getting confused or couldn’t be bothered because they didn’t understand. They just thought the e-mail address they were given was bad.

Submitting my POP3 server address would make me cringe and be nervous too.

Looking at the thread title, I was hoping this was some sort of threatening e-mail you could send those stupid people you know, who send you nothing but forwards and crappy chain letters… I want to place them under arrest… oh well, I’ll just stick to blocking them! :smiley:

The best part is, if they ever have anything important to e-mail me about ( :rolleyes: ) I won’t receive it! A classic case of “The Moron who cried wolf!”

I use SpamPal; it acts as a proxy between your mail client and the server and it inserts SPAM into the title of anything it considers dodgy; it has plugins to use Bayesian analaysis and other clever stuff, like a ‘white list’ to which you can add the addresses of people that are genuine, even if their mail address looks suspect.

All I then need to do is set up a rule in my mail client:
If the subject contains ‘SPAM’, then
-reply to the sender*
-delete the message
-UNLESS the subject contains ‘TUNGUSKA’

*the outgoing message:

of course it is necessary to change the words/location in the outgoing message once in a while (and the corresponding word in the rule)

Isn’t 3rd from the right…CATAMARAN?

See, if anyone is that dumb, I don’t mind not hearing from them.

I use MailWasher It knocks out 99% of the worst spam.

Checked this out, and it looks like you still have to process the mail yourself, each mail individually. I do this today. What’s the gain with MailWasher?

Yeah, the “bounce” function seems to have some value. But it’s not like the spammers care. They just shrug and sell their address lists to someone else.

It has a function to auto delete blacklisted email

I still use mailwasher on my Hotmail (I did use it on all my accounts); I like the idea of the ‘bounce’ thing and it did seem to cut down the rate of incoming spam a fair bit, but I found its identification of spam quite unreliable; quite a few legit messages were flagged as spam and a couple of really stupidly obvious spams got through unnoticed.

Any halfway decent mail client has that function. It doesn’t help against the address-switching spammers, which are just about all of them.

Don’t worry, Panache, I had the same thought. The word wrap forces the word “ovaltine” to the next line – so “third from the right” as laid out onscreen, would be “ovaltine,” but if the challenge asked you to send back the “third from the end” or the “third last” you’d have had the correct word.

I use a web interface for my e-mail quite a bit. On a Mac, the read-mail window can be quite narrow and the word “pedestrian” would likely be the “third from the right.” So I guess it’s a good thing that I’ve never had to e-mail Mangetout because he’d never have received the message.

This is the problem with some automated challenges as discussed in the previously-mentioned thread. They can confuse even the not-so-dumb.

Pardon, I meant, with “ovaltine” moved to the next line, the third from the right would be “catamaran,” as Panache said.