Has Glee jumped the shark?

IMHO, it has.

I was an enthusiastic viewer up until this year’s holiday hiatus. This season it seems is all about stunt casting; giving Sue Sylvester omnipotent powers to let her drive the quirky crisis of the week (sabotaging the gift exchange? seriously?), and absolutely no story arc or characterization. I think the actual shark jumping occurred in the episode where all the musical numbers were induced by dental hallucinations.

I think the expression “jumped the shark” jumped the shark a while ago. It used to be reserved for analyzing a show after its entire run had concluded, but now we hear it every time a show has a few sub-par episodes.

I did stop watching Glee a few weeks ago, though.

Glee jumped the shark for me when they sang/signed “Imagine” with the deaf kids midway through the first season. Seriously, that was terrible. I’ve never watched it again.

That fact that Glee doesn’t make sense was quirky and endearing at first, but now I find it annoying. In order to make sense, practically the entire cast has to have multiple personalities.

I agree with this. All of it, in fact. I haven’t watched since the holiday hiatus and I don’t miss it. It isn’t a lock that I won’t pick it back up, but they really lost me by changing the characters so drastically from week to week.

They haven’t had a really good episode since coming back from hiatus. And their three really ambitious episodes this season, the Britney tribute, the Rocky Horror tribute and the Super Bowl episode, all fell flat. I think season 3 is going to have to be different enough from season 1 or 2 or else the show will grow stale.

All the episodes so far have only been written by three people, which is fine for a UK show with a 6 episode season, but not for a US show with 22+ episodes. Maybe adding more writers will help.

I don’t know if there was a defining moment/episode where I went “This is the worst episode ever. I’m never watching it again!” I just lost interest in it because there hasn’t been any “plot” to follow. The musical numbers aren’t enough to draw me in, especially given how trite they have been lately. It’s gotten that daytime soap feeling where I can stop watching for a while, watch again, and still be able to follow what happened.

I wonder if all Ryan Murphy shows end up like this. Popular had a great start, but somewhere along the way, all I could think was "WTF? " and “It couldn’t get less boring.”

That was my feeling. I stopped after the first season because it became (from my perspective) more about the music and shoveling stuff onto iTunes than about any sort of interesting plots or development. The singing really never impressed me that much so, once it dominated the entire show, I wrote it off.

I still like it, but Season 1 was better than Season 2 so far.

I stopped watching after 2/3 of season 1. I recently watched a couple eps to see if it improved. The fact that I didn’t feel like I’d missed anything was alarming.

(Creeping out of lurkerdom for this.)

I voted Yes, but that’s not totally accurate. For me, it seems like Glee hasn’t so much jumped the shark as it has finally completed the slow transformation that began after the first batch of episodes. I’ve talked about my view of the show with a couple of fans, and they’ve strongly disagreed; I’ll throw it out for you guys anyway and see what you think.

It seems to me that Glee was conceived as sort of a small-town, musical Seinfeld. The pilot and first batch of episodes seemed to be centered around unlikable but strangely appealing characters who found themselves in absurd situations arising from a parody of the banality and venality of everyday flyover-country life as seen through a cynical eye. (Whew!)

After the first few episodes, things seemed to start softening up. They started trying to develop sympathy for the characters, and they eased up on the bleakness of the environment. Maybe it was because the creators realized they had a smash hit on their hands, maybe it was because of the charisma of the actors, but the show seemed to lose its undercurrent of meanspiritedness. The show started to like its characters, and it decided to give them something closer to a typical teen-drama world instead of an outsized satire of that world.

I could be way, way off base here, but that’s how I see it. In the Glee of today, I can’t see any of the writers conceiving of something like Schue planting a bag of pot in a student’s locker as part of a blackmail scheme. I can’t see them introducing a kiddie-fiddler as a recurring character. They’ve even gone out of their way to humanize Sue, for crying out loud. It seems to me like the transformation of Glee is reflected in the arc of Quinn from a ridiculous cartoon of a manipulative cheerleader to a slightly overcooked representation of a standard sadder-but-wiser girl.

Middle ground- the new car smell is gone and it could go either way, but I wouldn’t give up on it just yet.

“Glee” is a casualty of its own success. It started out as a show that depicted kids from various social classes who discovered comraderie with the unlikeliest of of classmates through their mutual love of music – A “Breakfast Club” set to music, if you will. It was sweet without being precious, cheeky without being cynical.

Then, their ratings went through the roof and the writers abandoned the original premise that appealed to me. Instead of them singing Britney Spears’ songs, Britney Spears herself shows up. It gave the kids a coolness that was contrary to the Charlie Brown drink-in-your-face image that had made the characters endearing. Add in studio band, professional choreography, and auto-tuning and the show morphed into a loose and disjointed string of cover-music videos…available on iTunes now! In short, they sold out. When Lea Michele returned from Season 1 looking like ever other toned, size 2 Hollywood actress, I stopped watching.

First half of season 1 was great.

Second half of season 1 was meh.

Most of season 2 has been crap, but the last two episodes were actually not bad, so maybe they’ll turn things back around again.

I think the bigger problem is people using Jump the Shark for bad episodes, rather than a radical change in premise and/or sincerity. I think it can be done while the show is on the air.

Ditto.
I think they are in the odd position of floundering this late in the game. This is probably because they didn’t expect to be a huge hit three years later.

In soap operas, there is the famous writers “bible” - that means the head writers know exactly where their plot is going years in advance. This is a top secret document, but it allows the head writer to make sure every nuance and conversation of a particular character feeds into what they will become in 1,2,3 or more years down the line. Betty Joe will mention she once lived in Detroit, and two years later, some mysterious person from Detroit will arrive…that was all part of the long term plan.

I think the writers of Glee might possibly have had a plan for Season 1 and part of Season 2, but then sort of lost their way and are now just throwing characters at each other to see what sticks.

It isn’t too late to start to develop some serious mapping of plot and characterization, but if they don’t start soon, you are going to have story lines flying all over the place and nothing is going to make sense. And the cute trick of slapping in pop star du jour every week is getting less and less cute.

I think the phrase “the phrase ‘jumping the shark’ has jumped the shark” has jumped the shark.

It jumped the shark as soon as the back 9 started last year. It went from being an incredibly smart high school show which just happened to have musical scenes, to being HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL. Maybe it got better for season 2, but I doubt it…

It started out as *Fame *(the motion picture); it’s turned into *Fame *(the TV series).

Someone should have offered up this tidbit to j.j. abrams before I wasted all those years watching “Lost.”