Has Poppy Day become too dominant?

Yes, it’s a kind of moral/Daily Mail coersion in which you’re appended to someone elses agenda.

It ends up with Minutes Silences in shopping malls and football matches for economic mercenaries like Ken Bigley.

In Canada I’ve had various direction on that. Default seems to be two weeks before 11 Nov, sometimes it’s beginning on 1 Nov. This year the chief warrant officer who sets the dress said to start on 30 October. Rule is everybody wears one; I’ve got one on each layer (jacket, sweater, shirt, etc.).

I’ve had trouble getting them the last few years; the sellers used to be seemingly ubiquitous. In fact so far the only place I’ve seen them is in the CANEX (general military convenience shop), where there’s just a donation box next to the cash register. I was only able to comply with the dress direction because I keep my poppies from year to year.

I suspect this is in part because of declining membership in the Royal Canadian Legion – the WWI vets are all gone, and the WWII vets are in their eighties at this point. There are of course younger members, but fewer in number I suspect than from the big wars. I’ve certainly seen the number of Legionnaires at Remembrance day services fall by much more than 50% in the last 15 years or so.

Ok Watch me make a fool of myself as I speak from memory of my highschool history and english classes…

In New Zealand poppies are typically worn on ANZAC day which is 25th April. The week leading up to ANZAC day is the week poppies would normally sell - and yes it’s de rigeour (sp?) for all public figures to wear a poppy on hte 25th. Its also a public holiday and we have many formal ceremonies to remember the war dead.

ANZAC stands for the Australia (and) New Zealand Army Corps, or in other words “those damn colonialists” as they were no doubt referred to as during WW1

The above is pretty straight forward - now for me making a fool…

In New Zealand (at least) ANZAC day is seen as more than simply remembering the war dead, WW1 was part of our “coming of age” as a Nation - yes we had supported the empire before, but this was a time when a distinctly New Zealand identity was starting to arise and we were seen as something other just Englishmen in a different country.

I certainly remember seminal works such as “Once on Chunuk Bair” by Maurice Gee and other similiar war tales written from the point of view of New Zealand soldiers and the impact the war had on New Zealand’s pride in their own nationhood.

Just to note also, New Zealand had one of the highest, if the number of deaths in Gallipoli per capita. It could also be legend and parochialism speaking, but I understand that the new Zealand / Maori regiment was amongst the most highly feared by the Germans they were fighting.

I don’t think it’s too dominant here (western Canada). I see a lot of people wearing them (me included), and sellers are everywhere, but it’s for two weeks of the year, and I appreciate the reminder of the services of military people (as Antigen said). I’m a pacifist from a long line of pacifists (Mennonite family), and I’ll still wear it and support the Legion - I support the soldiers, not the wars.

Don’t get me started on the two minutes silence. :frowning:

As bengangmo mentioned, another concern is who all this money goes to as all the survivors of the First World War are gone, and there aren’t many left from World War II. Since then we’ve had Korea, Suez, the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. The number of casualties from those conflicts can’t be huge, so what is the money spent on, and do the donators know what happens to their donations?

If they weren’t worn on TV (especially on the BBC) you can just imagine the storm of protest from such papers as the Daily Mail, who use excuse to have a go at the BBC. So I suppose for a quiet life the Corporation makes everyone wear them.

As a Canadian now living in the US I really miss seeing everyone wearing poppies. Even if you don’t notice it too much, it really is a tangible reminder for people not connected much with veterans/army/war.
I would go out and I’d think about its meaning/significance at least a few times during poppy wearing season. Even if it was only when the damn thing was pricking me through my shirt.

In the US there does not seem to be as good of reminders to normal people. There are two similar type holidays - Memorial Day and Veterans Day - and I rarely see anyone thinking of them as anything other than a chance to get to the beach.

I actually saw someone wearing one here yesterday (in the US). Granted, we are right near the Canadian border and it was likely a “Target tourist”, but it was nice to see.

I wish we did something like Poppy Day here in the U.S.

I’ve ordered some poppy pins, and plan to wear one on 11/11 if they get here in time. But I don’t expect to see anyone else doing so.

It’s funny, I’ve been on somewhat of a WWI kick lately - one of those cases of seeing references everywhere. And yet, it seems to be mostly forgotten, at least in this country. We tend to focus on WW2, which besides being still in living memory also has a lot more clearcut “The U.S.A. going in and kicking the ass of some folks who royally deserved it” echoes. It’s a lot more comforting to remember that than to remember a long, protracted, painful, static war with no clearcut “bad guy”.

Anyway, I also will be commemorating 11/11 by reading some Kipling and listening to “The Green Fields of France” and also watching the final Blackadder series. The end of the last episode never fails to leave me in tears.

You could add reading In Flanders Fields to that if you like.

:confused: Where in the US are you? I expect to see many people next Wednesday with fake poppies like these they’ve gotten by donating to vets. I get one nearly every year, and only don’t when I fail to run into any vets.

I’m in Southern CA, and I’ve never seen poppies for sale here on Armistice Day.

Where does one go to get them?

Here in the U.S.—well, I think maybe I’ve heard of this phenomenon before, but I had forgotten all about it. So I opened this thread to find out what the heck “Poopy Day” is.

Generally from retired vets collecting donations outside of stores, in the same spots where stores allow kids to collect money for jr sports and scouting, and the bellringers to station themselves near Christmas.

I have to say that, no, I don’t think it is too dominant - in fact I’m rather disgusted that the shops have gone straight from Hallowe’en decor into Christmas decor and there’s bugger all for Remembrance Day.

You could also watch the movie “Passchendaele” which was not a bad movie and centered not only on WWI, but also focusing on Canada.

I grew up in Northern CA and had never even heard of it until I moved to Chicago. Veterans groups sell poppies at el stations on 11/11 there. I always bought one when I lived there. I don’t know if that’s a regional thing or what. It still was far from common, though.

I’ve bought them from the veterans selling them at the Giant Eagle near my old house in suburban Cleveland. They always seem to fall apart. :frowning:

Once, Remembrance Day coincided with a curling bonspiel at my old curling club. We honored the requests of the Canadian participants to pause play at 11:11 AM for a few minutes.

I thought the Remembrance Day poppy tradition seemed honorable, but you don’t see the overkill the OP is talking about in the US; just vets selling poppies at the supermarket.

We commemorate Remembrance Day here on November 11 along with the minutes silence at 11 am. It is not overdone. We also have ceremonies on Anzac Day which tend to be more involved.

They went one eleven too many. The moment of silence should be precisely at 11 AM, not 11:11. It was the eleventh hour, eleventh day, eleventh month, but they didn’t go to the minute.

I’m not being jerky, it’s a very common misapprehension, even (strangely, to me) here in Canada, where it’s so important.