Has the winner of a war ever been tried for war crimes?

The United States has been accused violating the Geneva Convention in World War II, the Vietman War, and the Gulf War. It has never (as far as I know) been actually tried for war crimes.

So, I’m wondering…is it usually only the loser of a war that’s put on trial for war crimes? Has there ever been a case where a nation that is victorious in a war is later charged and tried for war crimes in that same war? I guess this is understandable…to the victor go the spoils and all that. But if a nation does violate the Geneva Convention, it does seem a bit unjust for them to go scot-free just because they won. Especially if their victory was aided by criminal actions.

Also–to avoid misunderstanding–I’m not saying the the U.S. is actually guily of any war crimes. I’m just using them as an example of a country that has never had to answer for any possible violations of the Geneva Convention.

Lt. William Calley was tried for war crimes by a U.S. military court for his actions at Mai Li. I don’t remember if he was convicted or acquited.

We WON the War in Vietnam?

Well, as Calley was tried while the war was still going on, we certainly had’nt lost it at the time. Calley was convicted and sentenced to life but his sentence was reduced several times, ending up as two years of house arrest.

What is often forgotten is that Calley was one of 25 men charged, 12 of them charged with war crimes. These included several officers. Only four were ever tried and only Calley was convicted.

Here’s one that might make your jaw drop. In 1943 SS-Untersturmfuhrer (Lieutenant) Max Taubner was prosecuted by the Nazis for being too enthusiastic and too brutal in the killing of Jews in Russia. (I’ll spare you the details, but you can imagine.)

This actually isn’t as surprising as it first sounds, the Nazis were worried about the problem of how does one encourage brutality on the one hand while maintaining discipline on the other hand.

And just so that you don’t start to rethink any old assumptions, the verdict begins: “The accused shall not be punished because of the actions against the Jews as such. The Jews have to be exterminated and none of the Jews that were killed is any great loss.” (He was punished for some other, fairly minor infractions.)

Nations do not commit war crimes, individuals so. NO nation, winner or loser, has ever been tried for war crimes.

William Calley was tried and convicted of murder, I believe. He spent a couple of years under “house arrest” and was pardoned (or his sentence commuted, I don’t know which) by Nixon.