Hats in the dishwasher, top shelf or bottom? Needs answer fast

Slight disagreement with my husband, he says that hats need to be on the bottom shelf, I’ve always heard that they need to be on the top shelf.

My big ol’ floppy hat is in need of washing and I’m so confused.

Just wear it in the rain; that’ll clean the top of it, anyway. Then stand on your head for a while to clean the underside, then when you stand up, you’ll have to walk around a bit to clean the very top part off again.

I put baseball caps on the top rack. Worked fine, but then I just started using the clothes washer. Baseball caps are made of pretty sturdy material, I have no idea what would happen to big floppy hats.

Your husband is wrong. Hats (and keyboards) that are destined to a dish-washing regimen are to be placed in the top rack. Head-hole down and keys-down, respectively.

Cracks up. I’d have to do the head standing thing next to a wall, and then I’d have dirty water falling on me. That would defeat the purpose.

My big ol’ floppy hat is pretty durable, but I was told that the bills/brims would get destroyed in a front loading washing machine, so I always use the dish washer for my hats.

Jake, my husband was horrified when he saw me put a keyboard in the dishwasher. Then he was amazed that said keyboard worked afterwards.

Well, there you go. He is obviously not trained in the art of dishwasher use.

Hats on the bottom rack. Indeed.

I’ve never heard, nor even imagined, that you could put a keyboard in any kind of washing machine and expect a successful result. Is that a whoosh?

Help fight some serious ignorance here.

Yes. Please. Hats? Keyboards?

A keyboard that is so dirty you are going to trash it gets one last chance for life. It has worked for me.

Now that’s just silly. Everyone knows that dishwashers are for bowling balls. Cleans the lane oil off of them nicely.

Dishwasher also works well for many traditionally 1-use disposable items. The secret that the manufacturers don’t want us to know is that paper plates, condoms, napkins, diapers,etc. can all get 3 or 4 more uses if run through the dishwasher instead of just thrown away. But since we are brainwashed to be wasteful consumers, it’s straight to the trash. I’ve saved over $1,000 on paper plates this year alone using this trick.

I know you’re joking, but I know more than one person who puts plastic utensils in the dishwasher and keeps reusing them until they break. They use them in their kids’ lunch boxes, so if any utensils go missing, it’s not the real stuff from the silverware drawer.

And yes, OP, top rack for hats. I’m pretty sure any time you’re putting a non-dish into the dishwasher, the rule is “top rack.”

There was an episode of The Simpsons in which the family was cleaning the house for some important guest (can’t remember who it was). They showed them washing the toilet seats in the dishwasher. I have to admit that, for a moment, that sounded like a good idea.

Our dishwasher has a “sanitize” option, so maybe it would be OK technically. I don’t think I will try it anyway.

Top rack for ball caps: cite. I have several of these for my husband’s ball caps. They really keep the hat’s shape!

Ditto.

Granted, you can buy a new keyboard now at some of the surplus stores (Big Buy, etc.) for just a few bucks.

But why not give it a shot? I turned mine upside down in the top rack of dishwasher. Then I set it out to completely dry for a couple of hours on my balcony. Worked just fine after that. And if it hadn’t - well, I needed a new one anyway.

Overnight in the airing cupboard is generally better: the plastic can warp in the sunlight.

As well as the grills from the front of your fridge and range-hood microwave, the knobs from your stove can be run through on the top shelf as well, greasy nasty things. If you don’t have a top shelf basket (like they make for baby bottle implements), a well-anchored lingerie bag will contain the knobs well.

I’ve heard that a dishwasher’s heat-dry cycle can cook fish. No cite because I loathe fish.

Huh. I’ve never heard of putting a hat in a dishwasher.

I’ve done it quite a few times. I got a couple of brand new keyboards from work out of the trash because someone had spilled coffee on them. One quick run through the dishwasher and they were fine. I also got an entire box of used keyboards for $5 once and many of them were pretty dirty and needed cleaned (I really only wanted two keyboards but the guy didn’t want to take the box back home and gave me the same price for 2 keyboards or the entire box of 20 or so, $5 either way).

There are a couple of tricks to it. As was already mentioned, the keyboard goes on the top rack, key side down. Wrap the cord up so that it can’t fall and get caught in the dishwasher’s moving parts. Do not use soap. Some dish soaps will leave a residue behind that can gum up the keyboard internally and make it not work properly. Most dishwashers bake the dishes at the end to dry them. You need to turn that heat cycle off or it can sometimes melt the keyboard. Note that this is sometimes labeled something like “power saver dry” and you have to turn it ON to turn the heat OFF (confusing) so be careful. People have reported problems with wireless keyboards and keyboards that have LCD displays in them. I’ve never tried a wireless or LCD keyboard so I can’t say. Also, make sure you let the keyboard completely dry out for a couple of days before using it.

I’ve done a couple dozen keyboards and had a 100 percent success rate so far. I wouldn’t do it as routine maintenance or anything, but it’s a great way to rescue a gunked up keyboard that would otherwise be tossed in the trash, and it’s a heck of a lot easier than popping all of the keys off and cleaning the key mechanisms and membrane with a Q-tip and alcohol (which I’ve also done).

My big ol’ floppy hat came out just fine, and yes I did use the top rack.

Apparently, he though I’d want it on the bottom rack to be closer to the water spray. After I asked further, he confessed that he had never known to wash hats in the dishwasher either, so he was just guessing.

engineer_comp_geek Thank you for explaining the process so clearly. I haven’t tried washing a wireless keyboard either, but its always worked for my corded ones.

I know that keyboards are cheap and easy to come by, but I’m a bit of a treehugger and electronics are rather costly to the planet. I take a little pride in keeping stuff like phones and computers as long as possible.

Heck, I’m currently posting with my very old laptop that is still running Vista because it can’t deal with the upgrades. It’s not a gaming comp, its what I use in hotels to check email and the Dope.

Nawth Chucka I never thought about putting the stove knobs in the dishwasher, what a good idea!