Have any of your Thanksgiving traditions changed recently?

Yesterday I started a new tradition – stay home alone. I sent my husband off with the carefully barded and roasted heritage turkeys.

God, it was bliss. Best thanksgiving ever.

I made myself rice with tofu and vegetables, with a little peanut sauce, and a persimmon off the tree. What memories are made of.

I’m in a similar boat. My parents are now 90 and 82, but still want to host Thanksgiving. They just don’t do any of the cooking. All of us “next generationers” split up the cooking duties and bring the food from our houses to the folks house. Menu is pretty much the same as it’s been since I was a kid. Oh and the table is muuuuuch longer now (spouses and grandkids).

:slight_smile: I knew someone would label me a philistine for this. But I’m getting lazy in my old age.

It dawned on me this morning that I failed to mention the largest change of all to our traditions. Due to my parents advancing age and health problems we sold the family deer-camp cabin. For the first time in 3 decades, the menfolk aren’t loading up 4 wheelers and gear for the annual pilgrimage. It’s really sad for my dad. He looked forward all year to the week or two with his son and grandson at deer camp. I went to spend a few days with him and help out with Mom, but it was a sad substitute for him. Old age really sucks.

I make instant smashed all the time. It’s quick and the spousal unit and I like them. Those of you who are tuber snobs can’t come to my house for supper, so there! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ain’t nothin’ wrong with “Box 'Taters”.

Everything. New house, new kitchen, new grocery store, and new guests - not one blood relative of mine. Even a lot of the food, we had some of those bizarre over-cooked sweet pseudo-vegetable things some people do. Shudder.

We also hosted a couple of strangers who were far from home and family and that was REALLY nice.
But I’m looking forward to serving in a soup kitchen soon.

As the parents died off we dropped Thanksgiving as a “family holiday” and made it more a “we like doing this holiday”. We see a couple friends we don’t get to see very often, go out for a good meal, and generally just relax. All the family traditions, from both sides, have faded away - no turkey and usually no sports - and we’ve made some new ones of our own.

This sounds super fun!

We’ve started going camping the week of Thanksgiving. The cold weather means we’ve got the park to ourselves. There is another family we’ve gotten to know over the last two years…I guess they go every year too. They do a full Thanksgiving meal in a campfire. Very impressive!

Extended Family Son was married last month, so his bride volunteered to do Thanksgiving this year “so I break out the presents!” They just moved into a cute craftsman-style house with a huge stone patio/fireplace setup. Extended Family Mom/Dad own specialty retail shops and nearly fell on their knees in gratitude since they’d been hosting it for the past few decades.

We had one roast turkey and one deep fried turkey. Guess which one disappeared first?

Extended Family Bride’s diet is pseudo=Paleo, so several veggie dishes outweighed the carbs we normally have. Nobody touched the mashed potatoes but everybody decimated the roast sweet potatoes with cranberries. She used Extended Family Matriarch’s stuffing recipe but it didn’t taste the same (I think she probably left out the non-Paleo ingredients). Her “bread” was basically mashed sweet potato formed into drop biscuits which were pretty good but different. I’ve never seen so many green veggie dishes at once in my entire life, everything from Brussles sprouts to green beans to some kale-plus-something saute. No salad, though.

Her family came to dinner so our numbers swelled into the teens. Her table only seats 10 so “the boys” including her brother and BIL sat at the kitchen island.

We have a cribbage tournament every Christmas, so Thanksgiving has always been the official practice session. This year everyone eschewed playing live in favor of “brushing up” with several cribbage apps while watching football. It was weird.

This year, for the first time in several years, we did not spread out the ads and look at Black Friday advertisements. Everyone had already checked them out online in advance. Which we also had in years before, but we didn’t have our ritual look-through on paper this year.

We used to spend Thanksgiving day with my Dad’s family as a trade-off for spending Christmas with Mom’s family. This started when my sister and I were kids but continued up until a few years ago when Grandma passed away. My dad is gone too, and neither my sister nor I speak to my dad’s brother anymore so we just have Thanksgiving ourselves at my sister’s house. It’s usually just the six of us, Mom, sister, bro-in-law, two nieces, and me. Sometimes bro-in-law’s dad stops by, sometimes he doesn’t. The food is still pretty much the same, just a little less of it since there’s fewer of us.

It was great! We had too much food, but that’s better than not enough. :slight_smile: We had a great mix of kids this year, who played well together - ages from 4-17. The 17-year-old was super excited to make Lego sculptures for the little ones to break up - a really nice kid. At one point we had seven little boys running around the house shooting Nerf guns at each other (or maybe it was 7000 - at least that’s what it felt like). The littlest ones were allowed to play with the Nerf guns at our house even though they don’t have them at home, which was a huge treat for them. The grownups got to play long complicated strategy games with everyone pitching in to help with their kids as needed. Fun times.

Damned social conventions.

Actually, I have done that.

I agree on the mashed taters, too - gotta be real. And must have lumps of tater and tater skins, just to prove they’re real.

My parents and I have just started winging it the past few years. Everyone else has their own other families to get with. Grandpa is gone and since Grandma is “step-grandma” she has her own family to get with too.

This year, mom and I went to Bob Evans for lunch on Thanksgiving Day. The next 3 days we spent together with some members of her family in a cabin in the woods, which was great fun but logistically hard because a lot of the family is in poor physical shape. So I don’t know if we’ll be doing it again but it was great anyway!

Personally, I have a “friendsgiving” I have been going to every year, too.

It kind of feels like we see all the family we want to see pretty regularly throughout the year anyway, so we don’t make a big deal out of Thanksgiving.

We’ve been eating earlier since my sister likes doing the whole Black Friday thing. Used to be that she’d leave late in the evening to go stand in a line someplace, now she’s leaving because places are opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving. I could complain about the sacrilege but it’s actually kind of nice to know that I’ll be home in the early evening and have a few hours to kick around before the night is done.

I think you mean “Black Thursday”. Black Friday is so last decade. :slight_smile:

I predict in 20-30 years we’ll all be eating microwaved turkey omelets at sunrise on Thursday so we can be out shopping by 9am. On Thursday. Or so the retailers fervently hope.

This last Thansgiving was the first in 25 years where we didn’t do a turkey and have a home meal. We went out to eat instead. Kinda strange, but on the other hand, really nice to not have the massive cleanup job in the kitchen.

The last ten years I’ve had Thanksgiving dinner with my gf’s family. They are all Catholic and it was always part of their tradition to “say grace” before eating. I sat quietly while this went on; it never really bothered me.

This year we were all seated in the dining room. People started passing around dishes of food, then everyone started eating. I sat there, confused, then joined in. That night, my gf explained that her mom decided to skip “grace” in honor of me, since I was a part of the family. It was really kind of sweet.

Us heathens are winning! Yaay! :slight_smile:

My family changed from the canned cranberry gel to freshly made cranberry sauce immediately after I had my first taste…and I continue to be the go to guy for cranberry sauce for fall/winter holidays.

And I think (hope) we have abandoned the julienned green beans in condensed mushroom soup; that also applies to the yams with marshmallows.