Have I been shafted? (rules of entry for writing competition)

I’ve just submitted three of my sketches to the BBC for their comedy writing competition; the rules, although written in a style that is clearly intended to be accessible to mere mortals, are still too convoluted and wordy for me to fully grasp; have I just signed over my intellectual property rights? (i.e. if I don’t win (The most likely scenario), can they retain my scripts for future use?)

In consideration of the BBC agreeing to assess entries to the Events each Entrant by entering licenses the BBC for itself and those authorised by it the exclusive right to use an entry for broadcasting and cable programme services (including On-line) and all other rights for the purposes of the Campaign. This licence shall subsist in the case of unsuccessful entries until the end of the Campaign (31/12/03) or until the entrant is unsuccessful if sooner and in the case of successful entries until the end of the Campaign or until if later the conclusion of any good faith continuing discussions with the BBC concerning future use of the entry. This will assist the BBC in handling the large number of entries it anticipates receiving. The BBC shall also be entitled to include entries in its BBC Talent BBCi showcase until 31st March 2004.
no, this clearly states that they only have the use of your material until the end of the Campaign, for unsuccessful candidates, and up until the end aswell for successful ones, “or until if later the conclusion of any good faith continuing discussions with the BBC concerning future use of the entry.”

so no, in other words.

Regarding the exclusive right to use an entry for broadcasting and all other rights for the purposes of the Campaign:

Also

So, the rights you have granted to the Beeb (broadcast rights, and “all other rights for campaign purposes” and “moral rights”) remain theirs until either you have been deemed unsuccessful, or until the 31st December 2003, whichever is sooner.

But as you may not be notified that you have been unsuccessful

, then I’d say you should probably say they have the rights until Jan 1 2004.

ah, damn, went to answer the door, got back and submitted, and the question had already been answerd.