Have you ever been involved with something that was nationally or globaly reknowned?

I’m currently working for the European Space Agency developing experiments to be run on the International Space Station. The facility where I work is the largest space technology centre in Europe, and among the largest in the world.

It was enough to make the local paper in my hometown when I was hired, at least. :slight_smile:

Do scandals count?
When I was living in Berlin, I was taking a short vacation and lent my apartment to a British Member of Parliament who was visiting Berlin with his boyfriend.
There was an incident that happened in my apartment that resulted in a trip to the hospital emergency room (nothing life-threatening really, just a minor accident) but got blown up out of proportion. It became the hot story in Britain.
When I returned from my vacation, the British tabloids were swarming the city trying to follow up on sordid rumors. They were all trying to find the apartment where the incident happened.
I was impressed with my local Berlin Gay community and bar owners…almost everybody knew it was my place and they all knew the story of what really happened - yet without fail, and even with money being offered for information, not a single person said a word to the press.

Well, let me beat this horse again. Sorry for the long-timers who are tired of me bringing this up.

I worked with Bernd-Jürgen Brandes, the German guy who volunteered to be cannibalized by Armin Meiwes. Armin Meiwes - Wikipedia Here’s a thread I started about it: An old colleague of mine was voluntarily cannibalized and killed. TM friggin' I. - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board

The NDP counts.

There have been a number of NDPers in my life: my grandfather (who ran for Parliament in the fifties); my mother (who worked with Ed Broadbent in the seventies–we had dinner at his apartment in Ottawa when Iwas a kid), that girl in high school who was an NDP fanatic and got in the yearbook as ‘wanting to marry Ed Broadbent’, and, a little later, our esteemed matt_mcl and Kythereia. So I’ve met people who have Met People.

As for other things, there’s the whole solar house thing I’m involved in, which we hope will become well-known and influential in the general population Any Day Now, but so far it hasn’t. It is well-known in its own community, though. If we have this thread in a year or two, perhaps that will have changed.

As for celebrities and other people and things that get on TV, nope, sorry, I’ve got nothing.

I used to be part of a choir that toured internationally–Australia, England, Holland and Belgium… (Sadly, the farthest from home I ever got was Philadelphia, PA.)

In 1983 I was on temporary duty at the television studio at Great Lakes Naval Base. It was the era of Nancy Reagan’s “Just Say No” campaign. Our command had two live television broadcasts that tied into the whole The Chemical People anti-drug program. These were the first live broadcasts that the base’s television station did.

I left the command shortly afterwards for training in Orlando, but heard from a civilian friend who still worked there that the station got a few awards (military and civilian) for those two shows.

Which choir was that Kythereia? Perhaps I went to hear it when it came to Australia.