Have you ever had or wanted a makeover?

There ain’t enough ‘Make’ to make me over.

I most certainly do NOT have a blue leisure suit! * Nah, I’m not even remotely curious. I’m happy slobbing around in jeans and tees.

*…any more; and anyway, it was black.

Kudos to you for standing up for yourself to the “hairstylists and fashionista sorts”. I obviously lack full context here, but I imagine they were giving you unsolicited advice about how they could “improve” your appearance and trying to upsell you with treatments and products that you didn’t want. I should actually start a full independent thread on this topic, but I will state here that I think this is something that you should be taught in cosmetology school not to do and that salons should have a policy of banning such behavior. Specifically, as long as a person just wants to maintain their current style, they should just give you what you want, and not try to get you to change your look in any way. If you do want a change, there is space for some advice or feedback within reason (e.g. being told of potential disadvantages of your projected style, or that what you want won’t work with your hair type), and even in certain cases refusing to make the requested change for you (e.g. if you want a treatment that could result in damaging or destroying the hair, like e.g. a severe chemical treatment). But I think as long as you request the same thing every time, they should just do it without question and even gently suggesting any kind of change should be considered bad form and an attack on your personality (and people should have the assertiveness to refuse hairdressers’ unsolicited advice to change something about their appearance and IMO, quite frankly, not tolerate it from them). Tsk!..to question that a woman would be happy with herself. How arrogant and potentially hurtful.

Just to illustrate what I mean by proper form, I will give two examples of how I think hairdressers should be required to behave; basically the same thing (and I may re-use these examples in a later, more dedicated post), but with different parameters. So first example: a woman with mid-back-length, naturally ash brown hair that’s starting to go gray chooses a hairdresser and comes to them every 4 or so months to have about 2 inches trimmed off. 20 years later, she is still going to the same hairdresser. Assuming she never asked the hairdresser to do anything more than trim off those 2 inches, or ever identified any other kind of need, at no time during those 20 years should the hairdresser ever suggest, even casually or gently, that she is “too old” (Tsk, tsk!!!) for such long hair", that she try layers, that she begin highlighting her hair or even covering the grays, etc. Whatever he/she thinks of the woman’s hair, he/she should just trim her hair, keep his/her opinions to him/herself, and let the woman go her way.

Second example. Imagine it’s 1962. A 21-year-old woman goes to her 21-year-old hairdresser and asks her to style her hair like Mary Tyler Moore’s from the Dick Van Dyke show. The hairdresser obliges. Now it’s 2019 and both ladies are, what, 78, and the former has been having the latter do her hair all that time and always requesting the same Mary Tyler Moore hairstyle. Despite all the changes in fashion, at no point should the hairdresser do anything but giver her that same hairstyle, or even comment on it somehow being out of fashion, assuming the customer does not herself show an interest in updating her look.

My point is that people should be allowed to be themselves, not be encouraged to conform to someone else’s standards, be put in a position where they are forced to say “no” to unsolicited offers to do something to their body (and possibly spend more money) or be made to feel inadequate for who they are. I like a saying I found on another website, something like “I wasn’t born to paint your world”. IMO, customers should not only not bow down to this kind of pressure; they should not tolerate it but should speak up toward those who would change something about them without them having asked for advice on the matter. It should simply be considered as a rude behavior.

BTW, I am 40 years old and have been cutting my own hair (before long, I settled on a man-bob) since I was a student. So not my problem, but if I were to start using the services of a hairdresser, I would set some strict parameters about how not to communicate with me early on.

My hair and clothes are already to my taste, and I have no interest in being trendy or popular. I’m also very, very much a creature of habit, which means that change is a bad thing. So, hard no.

Nah, by morning the makeup would be gone, the nail polish would be chipping off, and the hairstyle would be frumping back into a normal loose fall. I wouldn’t wear the fancy new duds except to special occasions, and I haven’t had a special occasion in years. If any of this makeover included a new diet or a workout routine, that would be out the window too. So what would be the point?

Thanks, but there are many words there that I don’t understand. :slight_smile: Probably because I know little about fashion and am a man. I wasn’t aware that people wore winter scarves when they weren’t wearing a coat anyway.

Thanks for answering though!

FWIW, I just turned 58. I’m female and have long, thick hair (I can almost sit on it). I’ve worn it this way since college, and I have never colored it. It’s now a sort of mid-brown with grey ‘highlights’. I get my hair trimmed professionally about once a year, mostly to tidy up my bangs correctly. I do my own trims here and there as necessary.

I have NEVER had a stylist suggest that I need to do anything else than what I ask. They will sometimes ask me for clarification on length, or whether I want a blunt cut or a bit of shape to the bottom, but that’s it. No comments about the grey, the appropriateness of long hair on a woman my age, how a style would suit me better - nothing.

Now, the last facial I treated myself to (and only the 3rd in my life) the lady did push much too hard to let her reshape my eyebrows. One “No, thank you”from me was not enough, and I will not go back to her. I don’t wear makeup, I don’t pluck brows, and my reason for a facial is because it feels good, not a vain attempt to make me look different.

I’ve never had a makeover, exactly, but I’ve had my makeup done professionally a couple of times, and I never really liked the result. I have dark eyes and otherwise light coloring; I feel like anything more than the most subtle eye makeup is too dramatic. But the pros always want to give me smoky eyes or match my shadow to my irises and I end up looking like I’ve been in a fight. Or at least I think so; everyone else seems to think I look great. I did my own makeup for my wedding and I’m really happy with that decision.

They are not winter scarves. They might be silk squares, either big ones or somewhat smaller ones. They might be long rectangular cotton scarves. Or, in the winter, they might be cashmere. I do save the bulky wool ones for outdoors, with a coat or with a down vest.

But people do wear winter scarves when not wearing a coat. I worked with a Russian who always had sme big fluffy thing around her neck.

Did a glamour photo thing with my mother years ago, free makeover with photos. It was fun. Otherwise, I don’t even bother with makeup.

I’m a dorky nerd, and I know I will always look like a dorky nerd no matter what. But put me in high quality clothes and I will increase my attractiveness by a minimum 50%. I used to have to dress up in such ways when I acted in my community theatre, I admit I looked amazing when I was properly attired, but it’s expensive and inconvenient to do that in real life. I certainly believe that if I was wealthier I’d also be healthier, and I’d make sure to dress really nicely, as guided by experts.

I am a woman and my head is full of crap about how I should dress, how small I should be and what is appropriate in society. It is hard but I am learning how to reject all that noise in my head. It starts with throwing out your high heels!

I must admit, they will get my high heels when they pry them off my cold, dead, Barbie-like feet.

I would love to see what an expert might try, if given the chance. I wouldn’t keep up with it though. Like you I don’t wear make up or jewelry, and my hair is kept straight (I often straighten it, but due to it being particularly thin that takes about two minutes). I’ve started wearing nail polish because I recently switched from food service to an office job and am having a little fun, plus it keeps me from chewing my nails (a horrible habit I’ve nurtured since forever). But I have no desire to spend money for someone to paint them for me.

I’ve also started caring more about what I wear after losing a shit ton of weight. It’s awesome having a wider range of clothes that look flattering on me. I don’t get super into brands though - I rummage through Plato’s Closet and Goodwill, lol.