Have you ever sat in the front row at a movie theater?

Cant remember the film, but I’ve done it at least once, and it sucked. I have a distinct memory of having to turn my head from side to side to see things that were happening towards the edges of the screen.

When I was a teenager I liked front row because it made you feel like you were in the movie, now that I am “old” I hate the front row, it makes me nauseous to sit that close. Age makes many things less fun.

I’ll just echo the general refrain - it sucked. To add insult to injury it was for Shyamalan’s Signs, a film I heartily disliked ( after sorta liking his first two, so I was unprepared for the suckitude ). I left the theater with a crook in my neck, ringing ears and new found mild distaste for said director.

When I was a wee lad I saw Star Wars at the Coronet in SF and was in the sixth row or so the first time. I remember that as being awesome. But I was in 4th grade ( I think ) and awesome was so much easier to achieve in those days ;).

“It’s amazing how much mature wisdom resembles being too tired.” – Lazarus Long

First row center for The Blair Witch Project. Stupid, stupid, stupid, but in our defense there were truly no other seats open. I spent the movie fighting nausea and left with an awful headache.

Yes, when I was a kid. It was on the theory that “closer is better, therefore the front row must be the best” IIRC.

I think so, in a very crowded showing. I have no recollection of what movie it was, though.

For 2001: A Space Odyssey once out of the many tines I saw it when it opened. (Not in a Cinerama theater, though.) It was awesome. And I was not stoned at the time.

For Prince’s Purple Rain. It was the only row with any free seats.

Same here. I always sit front row center unless it’s one of those reach-out-and-touch-the-screen close theaters (in which case I might sit in the 2nd or 3rd row, but not at a full showing). Out of the thousands of movies I’ve seen in the theater, I’ve probably seen less than 20 not sitting in the front row.

Where’s there talk about movies and seats?

Often enough that no particular movies stand out, wich means I don’t find it that awful either, I suppose. I do like the extra leg room and the fact that no-one can sit in front of me and obscure the view. I’ve always been perfectly happy to slouch down in the seat to avoid the neck thing, though these days that’ll bring on the back thing instead.

For preference, in an empty theatre, I’ll sit about two thirds back and in the centre.

I used to in my teens. My eyes were pretty good back then. As I get older, I sit further back, about 10th row now, unless it is 3D or IMAX, in which case I sit further back. My eyes no longer enjoy movies without eyeglasses.

Once, for one of the seven times I saw Star Wars in 1977, when I was 12. The initial appearance of the star destroyer was even cooler in the first row.

That was the only time I’ve ever sat in the first row at a movie theater.

I had to once. It was bearable.

In my mid-twenties for, of all things, Pretty Woman. Initially, it was a pain in the neck to crane my neck back some, but I quickly got engrossed in the movie (like I always do) and then it didn’t bother me at all. We don’t ever go to anything but the dollar movies occasionally any more, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t look to repeat the experience unless there was a good reason. Like a naked Jeremy Renner.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture because it seemed a good idea at the time. I was 11.

Once, for that gawdawful Joan of Arc movie with Milla Jovovich…The Messenger, I think it was called.

For some time after, I wondered if the terribleness of the seat and the concomitant eye strain, neck strain and nausea were responsible for the suckitude of that movie. Then I was forced to sit through it again on DVD sitting on a comfy couch and…no, it really does suck.

Like other posters, it was 'cause we got to the theater too close to show time and those were the only seats left. Learned my lesson.

I love the new “stadium style” seating (which probably doesn’t count as “new” anymore, but I still think of it as such, 'cause I’m old and get off my lawn) where there’s a second “first row” past the main floor. That’s the sweet spot, and I get to movies 30-45 minutes early to have a spot with legroom and a great view.

I sat in the front row when I was in high school it was the best place to sit with your friends since everyone else was always up at the back end of the cinema we could mess around a little bit more without distracting other people from their movie. lol

Oh, you know, the usual places…the Pit, IMHO. Just go look and you’ll see them.

ETA: Or just search on mademoiselle’s name. :slight_smile:

When I was very young and the Loew’s Paradise was the theater of choice, everybody wanted to sit down in front. I did sit in the front row for Star Trek: The Voyage Home out of ignorance of what movie theaters had become. I left with a neckache.