Have you ever sat in the front row at a movie theater?

The only time I remember was for “Rocky IV.” We had gotten tickets early in the morning. But spent too much time at the local arcade that by the time we came back to the theater, the line was around the building. This was before reserved seating of course. :-))

When I was a teenager I thought it was fun to sit in the front row so everything would look as big as possible. Nowadays I’d much prefer to avoid a stiff neck.

A few times, in small cinemas showing older films and so on.
Only time I remember being in the front row for a major release was for Master and Commander. We were fairly near the middle and it was awfully big! No complaints, really, except that you had to keep turning your head to see the action at the sides.

Die Hard 2. My neck got kind of stiff but it wasn’t too bad.

Last year I went to see Avengers at the last minute and wound up sitting in the third row, on the end. That was a pretty bad seat but at least I had already seen the movie before (I ended up seeing that movie three times in the theater - first time I’ve paid for multiple viewings since Empire Strikes Back).

Once – for Rambo: First Blood Part II.

My neck hurt for three days after that.

First run of Star Wars back in '77. My sister and I (ages six and four) started out in the back row and gradually moved forward in awe as the movie continued. We were in the front row when the Death Star exploded.

I sat in the front row, at one of the Harry Potter movies. We got there late and it was packed. I remember the screen being distorted, and feeling slightly nauseous. Not for me.

Yes. And I was warned when I bought my ticket. But I didn’t know.

Now, I know. Now I would not buy that ticket!

Perfect view of bottom right hand screen, everything else distorted, including my neck by the end of the movie (which was Woody Allen’s MANHATTAN).

The only time I was ever forced to the front was Point Break, the bank-robber surfing movie with Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves. I was off to the right, too, so everything seemed so surreal. On the other hand, *

the big wave scene at the end was probably twice as impressive to me than most people.

• mild spoiler for ending of the movie

Twice that I can remember.

1. As a teenager, I went to see Midway (I think). We sat in the first row to be closer to the Sensurround speakers that were on the floor between the first row and the screen. We vibrated a lot, as I recall.

2. For my son’s birthday party, we went to one of the Harry Potter movies, got there late, and it was the only place left to sit. It was pretty painful.

I’ve never been to a theater that packed.

If you were responding to me: I believe it was opening weekend for the VERY highly anticipated film. We usually time our visits to avoid crowds like that, but that day and time just happened to coincide with our son’s birthday.

Drunk. Front Row. Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Didn’t mind it except there’s no place to put your feet.

I always want to sit closer. The last row of the front section is my dream spot but nobody I go with ever wants to sit in the lower section.

I don’t mean to highjack but being in the middle is so much more important than distance from the screen. I don’t think I’ve ever sat off to the side for any movie, ever.

A few times. In some cinemas it’s not a big deal.

I’m curious - why are you excluding Imax? It’s still a cinema. I have sat in the front row at London Waterloo Imax, and I wouldn’t do so again - my companion found it nauseous and I just found it difficult to see everything on the screen.