Have You Ever Seen "Son Of Kong" ?

Son Of Kong.

If you have seen it, what did you think of it?

If you have not seen it, please respond anyway.

Until your post I had never heard of it, but you asked for a response, so here one is.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to share about the movie?

I think so…I may be thinking of Might Joe Young, though. :slight_smile:

You probubly are.
I had a friend who expressed great disapointment with me for seeing the movie about 30 years ago, thinking “meh”, and never caring to “give the movie a second chance”.

He had a great deal to say about honor, friendship, trust and so forth. I’m thinking, it’s just a movie, lighten up Francis.

So I asked 10 people at work, my mom and an out-of-state pal. No one had heard of it. Which does not surprise me. It is completely forgettable.

I think it may have been a regular feature on Ape Week on the 4:30 Movie abut forty years ago. The little nipper had white fur as I recall, and they sunk Skull Island at the end. Should that be in Spoilers?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Surprised you’re finding this movie so obscure. It’s not as often-seen as the lesser Universal movies because it wasn’t as heavily syndicated, but it’s innocuous fun. What would you like to know?

If you want heavyweight assistance, check out this forum. These folks know their Kong.

My friend is probubly on that forum.

But it is an old movie, with a limited appeal these days I think.

I’ve seen it. In fact I own it on DVD.

It’s not a good film, anyway you look at it. It’s really short, and even then, about 80% of it is spent on the journey to the island and endless, endless footage of real monkeys doing cute real monkey things. When you finally do get to the monsters, it’s a big disappointment. Kong’s son himself (I believe he’s called Kiko in the movie) is a nice enough character, but he’s somewhat underwhelming compared to his famous father. The sympathy you get for the title monster, which was such a huge and surprising thing in the original, is pretty much forced on the viewer here, and the 'heroic" ending just rings completely false. There’s a pretty good scene with a Styracosaurus (IIRC a left-over model from the first film) but all the other creatures look sloppily made and badly animated.

The fact of the matter is, it was a cheap and rushed job to make a sequel to a popular film, and it looks it. Mighty Joe Young, on the other hand, is a delight.

I know I’ve seen it, but it’s been a long time. I see that it’s up on youtube–I’ll have to revisit it in the near future. (Probably not a good idea to watch it at work today, though. :p)

It would probably make a good double feature with Son of Godzilla. I’d like to think the monsters’ offspring would’ve gotten along better than their parents.

SoK starts out with Carl Denham destitute, having been sued for Kong’s rampage in KK. I thought that was a nice touch.

I vaguely remember the movie. It was a regular Thanksgiving feature on one of the NY/NJ stations (WOR or WPIX or something…we got it on the cable package), along with Godzilla movies and the original King Kong. The baby gorilla was cute but he only appears for…what? 10 minutes? I remember thinking it was an awfully short movie, but kind of boring even for that.

Ah, Mighty Joe it was.

I completely agree.

Ditto. Cheap sequel. MJY is a good story, but also suffers from poor production.

I used to watch it all the time when it was on TV when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. I enjoyed it then, though of course not as much as King Kong itself, which was my favorite movie of all time. At that age, I didn’t notice any quality issues, but it pissed me off that they had to destroy Skull Island and kill off baby Kong. I probably haven’t seen the movie in 40 years.

I liked Mighty Joe Young too, but in my 12-year-old opinion, it suffered greatly from not having dinosaurs.

As do most films.

It’s the first film I ever saw on television. As such, it holds a special place in my memory. I also owned an abbreviated version of it on 8 mm film, long before I got my VHS and DVD copies.

It’s a very good fil,m, given its limitations, by the same team that made the original King Kong. They were all ready to do a proper sequel, but RKO gave them only half of Kong’s budgfet and only SIX MONTHS (!!!) to make the film. Six months! Do you have any notion of how long it takes to properly plan, script, and produce a film of quality? Escpecially one with all the intricate special effects work as Kong? Especially when a lot of that work is dimensional animation, which requires 24 separate motions per freakin’ frame?
But RKO wanted it out in time for Christmas, so six months it was.

Naturally, there’s a lot of padding. This did give them time to do a lot of character study on Carl Denham and the others. Of couse, Fay Wray and Bruce Cabot didn’t return, but we had Frank Reichert back as Captain Engelhorn, and Charley the Chinese Cook, and we saw the Skull Island natives again (lead by Noble Johnson). Say what you will about Hollywood racism (and the likelihood about black non-Negrito South Pacific islanders), they treated the natives respectfully and believably. I wouldn’t be too pleased with they guy who released a catastrophe on my village.

Realizing that they couldn’t produce a quality serious film in that time, they vdecided to go for humor. So they gave us a goofy albino “friendly” ape as a comic element, a goofy looking Cave Bear and Lizard for him to fight, and a sentimental story. It wasn’t all goofiness – there’s a menacing styracosaurus and a respectable “Sea Monster”.
The film is still effective. I was watching it once at a college student center TV, and a female student came by during the fight with the giant reptile.

“What is this?” she asked, “King Kong vs. Goszilla?”

I told her it was Son of Kong. She hadn’t heard of it, and she started dragging other people over to watch The Son of King Kong. I like it when I can corrupt others.

It’s not the best film, but I’ll watch it in preference to a lot of more recent blockbusters.

And that’s cool, you liked it. No problem. I like some movies that are depised or unheard of by the general public. But it doesn’t mean I have a moral failing.

Or does it?

I used to watch it every Thanksgiving along with the original and Mighty Joe Young. It is cheezier, cheaper looking and obviously rushed (it came out the same year as KK) but the dinosaur stuff is neat. I think it is worth seeing if you are a fan of KK.