Have you named your Car(s)?

The first car I had was a 1980 Dodge Omni. I didn’t much like it, but it was what was offered to me so I took it. But in a fit of letting the car know just what I thought of it, I called it ‘The Beast’ in a mocking manner.

‘The Beast’ couldn’t take the humiliation. And so committed suicide, and tried to take me with it.

After that, I took much more care in naming my cars, and giving them nice, positive names. It’s an important survival trait, like buckling seatbelts.

The first car I named was the one Daddy bought for me to drive to college. A 1969 Ford Fairlaine, that I had painted lime green. I called the car, “Morris.”

The second car named was actually the first car that Hubster and I owned. Daddy had loaned us the money to buy it. That one was a 1968 VW Beetle, and since the money came from Daddy, we named it after his middle name, “Alvin.”

The last car to be honored with a name was an Ambassador station wagon my husband bought from his brother’s estate. We named it “Chickie” after his brother.

All vehicles since then have not inspired a name.
~VOW

I don’t think I have, but I see nothing wrong with it. My mom’s current car came with a name from the previous owner, & we still use it.

I did not name either of the two cars I ever owned. Always thought that to be too silly a practice. And “Mr. Happy” down below says he agrees with me.

My husband names all his cars - over the years he has had the Leslie Special, Grendel, La Belle Sauvage, Starbug, and his current is Elvira. I only name the ones with a special personality, like Miss Daisy, a 1964 Impala that actively tried to kill me more than once - should have named her Christine - and Zippy, my reliable old Toyota mini-truck, the sort they haven’t made in years.

My Volvo goes by Lars.

Yes, my 1980 Pontiac Sunbird, which now has a 350 V8. Imagine a tiny econo car with a huge motor.

It is the “Black Bitch”.

My first car was an enormous, rusty 1984 Oldsmobile Delta '88. Brunhilda. There was no more fitting name.

My second car - my first new car - is a 2009 Honda Fit. She’s Greta. When my husband bought a 2008 Honda Civic, I named that one Wilhelm.

*I just realized all three of these names are pretty Germanic. Huh.

My very first car, a 1985 Toyota Camry (purchased in 1997), was named Martha.

I forgot to mention the 1969 Jeep Wagoneer which my family had when I was a teenager, and which I frequently drove. It was suffering from a serious case of rust (having spent its entire 14-year life in Wisconsin), and was dubbed “The Rustoleum Falcon”.

The only car I had with a name was Murphy. A 1974 Triumph Spitfire with Lucas wireing. Anything that could go wrong with that car would at the worse possible moment. I loved that car. I spent all of my free time working on it. Once sad day, Murphy was innocently sitting in the parking lot at work and got ran over by a garbage truck.

The Jeep: ‘The Jeep’
The Prius: ‘The Prius’
The MGB: ‘The MGB’
The Triumph: ‘Spiffy’ (I didn’t name it.)

Voted other. I have never willing named a car, but my wife has made me name my car. I almost never refer to it by name unless she’s around. Thankfully moving to China has removed that obligation. I’m not against naming a car, but it seems a little silly.

She also names her computers and I never do.

'96 Accord: “Kenny” (??)
'02 Highlander: “The Fridge” (it’s white)
'03 Acura CL: “The Ice Princess” (it was silver)

So I’m confused as to whether the first three were named. Was it like:

“I’m going to take the Jeep this morning.”

Or

“I’m going to take The Jeep this morning.”

:confused:

A message from the Celtling:

Dear guys that did not name their cars:

You guys rock the house! Seriously Dude! You are really cool!

I am really surprised that you did not name your cars. I am a believer! Ah! I don’t believe it!
:: giggles ::

All you guys who named your cars are failed.

Sincerely,
Celtling