Have you reached a point in your career where you just want to ride it out until retirement?

I reached that point the day I entered the workforce. shrug

Riding it out is exactly what I’m doing.

I am eligible for social security in 9 months, but I’ll probably work another 3-6 years.

There is literally not a day that I don’t think about retirement.
mmm

I’m looking for the next thing to do, but that’s probably not going to be in my primary field of employment. I’m probably going to fade slowly away at that. I’m eligible to retire early, and thinking I might do that and take up teaching, or work part time and see if I can get a tutoring gig.

I was planning to coast after I hit 50. Then I got laid off, found another job for three years, got laid off again, spent a year doing contract work, got another job, was laid off after a year, and financed two kids final years of college with loans while scrambling to find enough work to pay my health insurance until I was finally old enough for Medicare.

I guess that makes my answer, “yes and no.”

I’ll be retiring soon, and returning as a high priced consultant, part time. Patient care only, no administration (which is what’s truly been sucking the life out of me). I plan on 3 months off to recharge my batteries a bit before I return.

Like the OP, I started out as a COBOL programmer in the 1970s. It was a great gig and, despite narratives to the contrary, I worked for and with honorable men who were willing to give a female neophyte a chance. Not just that, but they took an active and supportive interest. I didn’t need much help to generate product, but appreciated their willingness to make room for me and accommodate comradeship.

Later on, I moved into Assembly language, C, SQL, SAS, Informatica, toyed with web development, upgraded databases and did some sysadmin work for a bit. It has been diverse.

I’m in my 60s now and I work for a great team and a great company and great management, but I find myself becoming grumpy. I don’t mind chaos at all - it gets the juices flowing. Currently, I’m in boring mode and rewriting a poorly-designed and poorly-written application. That’s ok, I can pretty much do that with my brain tied behind my back.

I have little to no patience for bureaucracy, and even less patience for being patronized by officious HR training courses. After 40+ years in the corporate world, if you offer it I’ve probably already seen it.

As a result of these nuisances, I find myself getting impatient and grouchy at times. Thankfully, working from home has made it possible for me to curse and swear and tell them what I think - all with no repercussions.

As an older woman, I seem to be invisible to other people (unless they want money). It’s so weird, let me tell you. When I was younger and pretty and a bit unique for my time, people were interested. I’ve always had a strong personality, but am friendly and easygoing. That hasn’t changed, so I don’t know what the difference is, except for age.

At least people listen to me at work. It’s the only place where my ideas matter. Within work, our team shares a comraderie and respect for each other’s ideas. Plus, work pays me well to contribute my ideas and they are interested in my insights. In the outside world, I’m just another invisible old lady. I’ll hang around for a while longer.

I am retired (emeritus professor), but I still teach one-half or one class a year. Most of my time I send writing an on-line text. I’m not going to another publisher ever; that’s the retired part.

No.

Turning 60 this year and have no plans to stop at any particular point. I have fun at my work.

I’m a low level grunt in the warehouse of a manufacturing plant. I have no hope of advancement so the answer is yes. I’m getting the job done. It’s a comfortable rut. I make enough to keep my life running. At 62 I have no illusions of advancing at my current job and no desire to go out looking for something new at this point.

This is my predicament.
I have a ways to go before i think of retiring but my upper management ( I work for a large multinational corporation) has successfully adopted the “engagement survey” way of doing work.
We do these engagement surveys every year (they are supposedly anonymous) and then based on how we scored upper mgt (they want to see that they improved every year) we are punished with “roundtables and discussions” until we cry uncle.
There are no ways that we are told how to make more $$ because apparently engagement means you don’t want to get paid more.
Meanwhile they use these “scores” to advertise the company as great for work environment because it is so engaged. They also use the inclusion push to make sure they hire any and all … as long as you are under 38 years old.

I am 50 and just left my job of 12 years yesterday, to start another job in the same field at a much higher salary on Monday. I’d like what I do (immigration law) much better of we didn’t have the current Federal administration that we do, but it’s been sucking the life out of me. (I quit my old job because I simply can’t hack dealing with asylum cases, deportation, domestic violence-related cases, etc., which the new employer doesn’t handle at all. Plus a gigantic raise for the first time in a looooong time didn’t hurt, either.)

I feel like my work is interesting, has a real purpose, and improves people’s lives. However, it stresses me out. Every once in a while, Tom Scud and I ask each other, “if we cashed out everything we own, is there anywhere in the world where we could live on the proceeds for the rest of our lives?” So far the answer is “maybe a village in India.” Of course, then you’re living in a village in India, and we are first-world city people, so we aren’t in a position to retire just yet.

Given my current skillset and lack of a law degree, there isn’t really anything I can be promoted to in my current field except maybe law firm administrative management, and I think I would hate that. So until my job becomes a felony, the plan is to stick it out until I retire or inherit an unexpectedly large amount of money. Otherwise I am about to start what is probably close to the highest-paying job in the city for someone with my skillset on Monday.

I’m retiring from teaching after one more semester, and I want to go out on a high note. So I’m going to have the most field trips, the most potlucks, the most classes outdoors that I’ve ever had.

But tell ya what I’m “coasting” about… anything EXCEPT the students. Meaningless paperwork? Interminable meetings? Joining multiple committees that don’t really do anything? … Sorry*, I guess I forgot.*

I’ve been at the same place for 26 years and have no intention of changing. I’ve got at least 5 till retirement maybe more.

Yes, I’m going to ‘ride it out’ but there will be plenty of new developments in my field (GIS) that I will need to learn. It changes very, very fast.

Mixed. I’m 62 and am guessing I’ll retire at 66.5 but that’s not a hard plan yet.

I have a very nice job. It’s interesting and stimulating and is the reason I meet many wonderful people. I have a lot of freedom to grow intellectually and professionally, and the work/life balance is good.

On the other hand, I’ve been working pretty solidly since 1974, and there are ways in which I’m tired. It only takes a little bit of having to do dog-and-pony shows, or acting ambitious for people half my age, to feel annoyed. And I have health issues that make me wonder how many years I will get once I can choose where to spend an additional 40 of my best hours every week.

Some years ago I got the performance review conversation where they told me that, given my years there, they know what they’re likely to get out of me. I have a friend a couple years older at the same company, and she applied for a leadership position when she was 60, and the team told her the position was reserved for 30 to 45 year olds (apparently this is a common thing and what makes it remarkable is only somebody not realizing they’re supposed to keep the requirement secret).

So, I’m pretty happy, and with good cause. I do good work and I care about the people I’m helping. But I also realize that it wouldn’t take much negative change there to change my mind.

Before I retired from my DOD career, I made it clear to my boss that I had no desire to be a supervisor or a manager. I was perfectly happy being a worker-bee. Thankfully, he accepted that. I’m not so sure that was coasting, exactly, but it was a comfortable way to spend my last few years there - doing what I knew how to do and not worrying about what the next step would be.

Similarly, in my post-retirement job (I got bored being retired) I made it clear to my boss that I want to be a drafter, not an engineer. The tedious parts of being an engineer overshadow the fun stuff for me, but as a drafter, I don’t have to deal with meetings, budgets, travel, or design reviews. I just take the stuff from the young engineers and give them the drawings they need to have their stuff built and assembled. They’ll occasionally ask me to do some modifications to their designs, so I get to play with the modeling software, but that’s about it. This bit of coasting is (theoretically) going to take me to December when I re-retire. Theoretically.

OP, except for your field of work, I could have written that post. I’m 63, and looking forward to my retirement, because I’ll have a lot of time to pursue what I want to pursue, which is music. I spent 20 years in my first career (respiratory therapy – good job but not rewarding in the long term). I love my current job as a children’s librarian, and I feel like I’ve left my legacy and given to my community with years of highly entertaining children’s programs, and I love the people I work with and the work I do, but 20 years… I’m ready for the next thing. I had a meeting with my manager last week about my 1 year and 5 year goals. I said my work goals are this: 1 year goal – don’t get fired. 2 year goal – don’t get fired. 3 year goal – be retired. We had a good laugh (she’s a great manager) and she understood exactly where I’m coming from. I had to take a long break from music to address my son’s ongoing medical issues, but I’m at a place now where I’m ready to get back into it in new and exciting ways. Good luck to you, aceplace57!

No. If I want to eat, I’ll have to work until I die.

I was planning to retire at 59, which was the first year that I could get a full pension with no reduction (well, a 3% reduction over waiting until 62). But I never made it. My company’s management changed, and became completely dysfunctional. Our engineering group was completely remotely managed by people who had no idea what they were doing. So the last five years of my work were so frustrating that it just sapped all the will to keep working in software out of me.

Then the bad management caught up to us, and mass layoffs showed up. Our entire development office was shut down. Because at this time I was a couple of years from earliest retirement, they gave me early retirement, and now I’m not working. And in my city, there’s really not a lot of work for a near-retirement software developer. And of course, just about anything else doesn’t pay as well. My early retirement salary will be significantly lower than it would have been if I could have stayed working for another three years, but I never got the choice.

It’s very hard to stay engaged as you near retirement, especially when you are already feeling sidelined by change and being forced to implement stupid decisions every day.

I have about a year and a half or less to retirement. I have been with the company for forty years. I have to admit that I am coasting a bit.

Hell, after forty years you should be racing downhill going “Squeee!”