Have you served in the military?

Army 1989-2016. 6 years active the rest National Guard.

I have not been in the military but not for lack of trying. Tried to enlist at age 17, but my eyesight caused me to be rejected. Poor timing anyway, as we had just lost the Vietnam War, and I believe they were trying to downsize the military. But I did do Peace Corps for two years.

Yes, SlowMo, you hit the nail right on the head—what a whiner! We’re talking about a 40+ year-old adult complaining about how hard their childhood was.

I served immediately after the Vietnam Era, but that doesn’t mean I get to join the VFW. I didn’t serve in a war, and you and this other person didn’t serve in the military, so none of us get credit for something we didn’t do.

And, yes, I probably should have left off the sarcastic bit at the end, but we all seem to have our pet peeves, don’t we? You expressed one of yours, I expressed one mine, I used sarcasm, you used sarcasm, blah, blah, blah.

BTW, I was a military dependent, and like many others, I lived in nine or ten different places before I was eighteen, so I should get some pity credits too. In fact, I’m hoping that I get so many credits that you’ll be my defender in the future.

Actually, many VFWs are letting in Vets now from peacetime and some are letting in children of Vets of Foreign wars. I’m not sure if that is regional or nationwide. Membership was getting low in numbers and very old in age in this area and apparently they relaxed the requirements. I think this is variable though by area.

US Army 2010-2014. 19 Delta: lead the way.

All fraternal organizations are fighting declining membership.

I have not served, but…

Applied to Air Force Academy in high school, was not accepted
Wanted to ROTC in college, but had a ‘disagreement’ with them
Out of college w/out a job, I was a coin flip away from joining Air Force (went back to school instead)
Upon 2nd graduation have worked for DoD (on military installations, Army and AF) 1991 - present

I could have definitely made more money working for private contractors, but feel like I’m supporting the military by helping to test and field systems for them.

I let a friend who’s a Son of the American Legion convince me to join (as Legion) the local branch. I’ve paid my fifty bucks for two years now, but I don’t really have time to participate, and the $2 beer isn’t really all that attractive given the venue. I will volunteer for poker duty (at the behest of said friend) one night in January.

I’m sure there’s more expected of me, but I’m mostly just not interested, and I don’t necessarily agree with all of the Legion’s politics.

Good on you, man!

Are you now pining for the fjords of 2023?

USAF 1980-1987 (7 years, 1 month, 6 days!)

Oh, and I served too, 1988-1992.

US Army, 13F, 333rd FA Btry F (no longer in existence, part of the 3rd AD, also no longer in existence).

I have never been part of the military; I never had an interest, nobody in my life has ever at any point suggested that I should have an interest, and I very easily found other ways to spend my time and make money.

(I also don’t consider working for the military to be “service”; it’s a paid position after all.)

Sorry bullshit, we made less than minimum wage. We were told joining was a service to our country. We took a oath. Etc. Etc. Etc. So bullshit.

You are completely wrong, and I suspect that you’re trying to get a rise out of people. Any work for a government entity is considered service to your country. Yes, including the presidency.

This ain’t about that, sorry.

Calling it service gets a rise out of me, but whichever. I agree that it’s off-topic.

So what is worthy of being called a service in your mind?
As I said, we didn’t come close to minimum wage, those in the time of the draft were often not even volunteers. In time of war and “police actions” they were put in danger.

The hours are long and grueling. The living conditions were usually so crappy in the Navy that it was not suitable for prisoners. The army & marines in the field had it so bad so often that the Navy had it good by comparison.

I know I personally spent 121 consecutive days at sea on a West Pac. That is 4 freaking months without a port. 20 hour days were common at sea.

So what the fuck is actually worthy of being called a service?

Please, don’t.

For the record, I’m not discussing this further in this thread.

My apologies Czarcasm.
begbert2, please come over to this thread just for you in IMHO:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=21349723#post21349723