Having a promotion held over my head

For the past few months, I have been told that I am “extremely close to being promoted”. At first, this had me excited- it was the second promotion I’ve had at the job, and it took me about the same amount of time ( a year) to do it. Hey, at least I’m consistent about it, right? :confused:

Anyway, part of the promotion is getting a pay raise. Now the raise is slight ($0.25 more an hour) but every little bit does make a difference. I get the raise when I get the promotion. But here lies the problem:

It seems like my promotion is very low on the priority list of my managers. Right now, only one manager is authorized to promote me and give me a raise. She also just happens to be the busiest manager. A similiar thing happened last time- and by the time I was actually evaluated for a promotion, they found that I was *more * than ready- I had been ready for months at that point. I am pretty confident the same situation is happening; if they evaluated me right now I would 99% be likely to be promoted, but they simply aren’t able to set aside the time to do it.

The first time this happened, I had mistakenly blamed myself, believing that I probably should have been more assertive about pinning down an evaluation meeting and getting this done with. So when I was told I was close to being promoted, I started asking my manager if we could have a feedback meeting. Once again, I started getting stalled about it. “Sometime next week” would come and go, and be replaced with “sometime next month”. A date would be agreed upon, only to have the manager cancel at the last minute because something more important came up :frowning: The thing that bugs me about this is that the more time I’m waiting to be promoted, the longer I’m getting a lower wage than I should be earning. In a way, it feels a little unfair that I’m not getting a raise only because the manager can’t find the time to do the necessary work required.

This is loosely connected to a rant I had a month or so ago, regarding a well-loved manager who decided to quit. My biggest concern over that manager leaving was that I would have to ‘start over’ in a way, building up my relationship with the new managers so I could prove that I was promoted. I can’t help but think that if that particular manager hadn’t left, I would have been promoted by now.

:mad:

BwaHaHaHa! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m truly laughing WITH you and not at you. I’ve worked at my current company for 1.5 years this month. I’ve received several raises(3 to be exact), and I get loads of praise heaped upon me.

What I DON’T get are the things promised me. I don’t get my holiday or sick pay(which was supposed to have started in March), I don’t get any paralegal work(billed at $20 more than my wage), I don’t get paid for the previous paralegal work I HAVE done.

Fuck I’m sick of promises. Just like you. Maybe it’s a regional thing, we’re in the same city. Asshole bosses-a universal.

Sam

Shit, I almost forgot a few promises.

• Health insurance. Not only am I making an insanely low wage for the area(quite a bit less than $15, it would almost be worth it for me to work at Starbucks), but I’m forced to pay for my own coverage at a whopping $195/mo.

• Regular performance reviews

THat’s it for now, but I know there are more false promises made in the last year and a half.

Damn, its amazing how much we have in common!

Something else that bothers me about this is the fact that on my resume, the amount of time it took me to get promoted will be artificially high. My last feedback meeting had gotten delayed two MONTHS, because the manager was booked solid with member conferences and whatnot. So in essence, it didn’t really take me 12 months to get promoted to ‘Level 2’, that’s just how long it took to do all the formalities. Its like finishing school and getting your diploma a year later
:mad:

Speaking as an instructor on Human Resources (MBA level): what you’re seeing is, sadly, not untypical. It’s the Dilbert factor, and it’s prevalent. Most managers are not taught how to manage, and are not able to put themselves in the other person’s shoes, and are not able to understand how their words/actions (and lack thereof) are viewed by others.

It’s a very sad state of affairs.

If the situation is terrible, and you think you will do better elsewhere, by all means you should start looking. The sad fact is that most other places will be the same, unless they have an aggressive stance towards human resources and training managers in how to manage.

If the situation is merely annoying, and you think you can put up with it, then just accept that you’ve got a Dilbert manager and laugh at it. Record the funniest stuff and send it in to the Dilbert comic strip, I understand he accepts real-life suggestions.

Good luck!

Is there a company in the whole UNIVERSE that does this? Everyplace I’ve ever worked has made a big deal about performance reviews, and how they’re going to be regular (every 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, whatever) and it never happens again.

I used to hate those promises companies made then completely forgot. When I was a web content developer, writer and researcher for a large law firm, I also used to assist in in-house translation in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. When they would give me a contract or document for translation, they billed the client for the hours I spent working on it at $50 an hour and told me that, even though I had been able to finish it during my regular working hours, I would get time and a half for performing very specialized, skilled additional duties, and would also get my regular pay (I guess the translation would be treated as though I had done overtime, even though I hadn’t - not always, anyway). Guess what I got? Nothing. When I asked about it, they told me that, although that had been the original agreement, they were unable to pay me time and a half in addition to my usual rate because the work that I did had not fallen under my job description. What??? It didn’t even make sense.

You know what’s funny about that? You’re absolutely correct. I would agree with you, too, if the dumbfuck hadn’t forgotten about my review from a friday to a monday, and when prompted about it put it off indefinitely.

In reality, I don’t want to be reviewed, but it certainly sets the tone for my Idiot Bosses behavior in that he simply forgot in 3 days time. I actually think he’s just an emasculated pussy who can’t stand giving or taking criticism from someone he knows. :rolleyes:

I really wanted to present him with my review, too…

Sam

Actually, yes, it does happen here. I work for a Major Hospitality Corporation. You may have heard of our founder’s business philosphy: “Take care of your associates and they will take care of your customers.” We got our reviews generally within a month of our official review date, and now, all management associates get their reviews in March. Our managers are actually graded on whether they complete reviews in a timely manner.

Ah, but I have the joy :rolleyes: of being unionized. I get mandatory contractual performance reviews every year where my union-negotiated salary progression scale is used. This means that my fixed 3% salary raise is supplemented from a discretionary 1% fund that is spread out over everyone else in my field of work. So, for a stellar performance review I might attain a 3.5% raise, as opposed to being a do-nothing slacker with a poor performance and getting a 3.2% raise. Nothing like that 0.3% carrot on my stick to make me shout “yes boss, right away boss” and reap the rewards of hard work.

I’m glad I’m not the first to say it ( :wink: ), but my company is excellent in this regard. We’re a small-ish (200 people at this office, which is HQ) software company, and when the CEO presents the company scorecard one of the things we are ‘graded’ on is how many performance reviews are completed on time. I think the companywide average is around 80% (and the number increases every year), but my team is at 100% – and has been for as long as I’ve worked here. Many of the supervisors are dedicated to having the reviews done on time, which means all paperwork is processed in time to have your salary increase start with the pay period that your anniversary falls in (performance and salary reviews are done at the same time).

I just had my review on Wednesday: the anniversary of my hire date is 9/24, which falls in the 9/16-9/30 pay period. So my new salary is effective 9/16, and I’ll see it in the first October paycheck.

I really, really appreciate my company’s dedication to on-time performance reviews, and I hope we’re able to keep it up as we get bigger. My previous employer was a large company, and they were more typical in their approach.