Hawaiian Dopers?

Don’t go dissin’ my spaghetti and rice. :wink:

cj, that’d be the Honolulu Weekly. It’s how I found my way here, too. :slight_smile:

Nightsong, I dunno. Pier 1 is usually empty. Buca di Beppo is very, very busy-- forget about getting in on Saturday nights before 9 without reservations (which need to be made way the heck in advance). The Ward places on the whole appear to be doing very well. The presence of the theater helps greatly, I imagine.

Oh, there’s a Nordstrom Rack and an Office Depot at Ward now, and that street that runs between Kapiolani and the Ward businesses sees more traffic than it ever has.

Ward Warehouse is still pretty dead.

Neiman Marcus evidently scares locals and tourists alike with overpriced clothing and desperately bored salespeople, as they’re consistently dead. Macy’s can be pretty empty, and is a sad, sad replacement for Liberty House; their return policy is, in my mom’s experience, a giant middle finger. Quite a change from LH’s… it annoyed my mom enough that she cancelled her 30-year-old account there. The other clothing stores I mentioned, Bubba Gump’s and CPK, on the other hand, seem to be doing all right.
Mmmm, malasadas… And Loco Mocos! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Me and KK are compiling a list of places we want to eat before we go. We’re hitting the Hungry Lion for sure this weekend. Their Loco Moco is the best. My god, what I would give for their Loco Moco, or even just a barrel of their gravy, to be there waiting for me in WA. :sigh:
Oh, I’m down with a Hawaii 'fest, but I’d have to ask that someone else plan it, if you don’t mind. I don’t think I could take any more planning-- been doing that for the last 2 months. My Friday and Saturday nights are spoken for. And we leave on the 9th at lunchtime. Other than that, I’m ready, very willing, and just barely able. :smiley:

Let me check up on the model I have, and pick up some revews of those, and I’ll do so. :slight_smile: (It’ll be an early graduation present for me.)

(back to other stuff)

Huh. Well, Ward Warehouse never was all that ‘alive’ to begin wit, so I’m not too surprised on that. (Spagehtti Warehouse still there? That was the only real ‘live’ spot.)

So, no more fighting off little ol’ ladies at LH sales, eh? Awww!

For those in CA: there’s a Hawai’ian grocery in San Mateo. Go there. (Takahashi’s, I think is the name.) Mochi ice cream. Crack seed. Hawai’ian Sun drinks. And near by is a really good Oriental grocery store, with a bento place. Yummy.

There wasn’t much in the way of Hawai’ian stuff in WA when I lived there, so if someone knows of something, I’m sure Audrey and KK would want to know. :smiley: (But, if you’re near Sumner, there’s a winery up on the ridge that serves good food. And a bakery in downtown Sumner with amazingly good goulash.)

(Any former Islanders in Kansas City: there’s a plate lunch place there, run by a guy from Waimanalo. For the life of me I can’t remember the name or exactly where it was though.)

Yes, I lived in Hawaii from 1990-1993.

Specifically, Honolulu. More specifically, I lived in Kalihi on Kahai Street, just makai of Nimitz Highway. Near the Dykes Market.

I enjoyed living there, but I was also glad to leave; I had rock fever something fierce.

Old Spaghetti Factory? Yep, it’s still there. Still busy as heck, too. “All you can eat” Monday has really long lines.

Shall we make it a Wednesday or Thursday?

I’m a newbie, so I don’t know how you go about these Doper thingys.

Well, loathe am I to make myself feel more important than I deserve, but AudreyK and I will be leaving on Thursday the 9th…

Come to think of it, seeing as how anything before then will likely be too short a notice for most of the rest of you, I think we’ll have to simply be there in spirit if not in person. :frowning:

Good luck AudreyK and KK on your move! Stock up on lots of chili and napples! :slight_smile:

Gross thought of the day: chili napples. :eek:

Sorry I haven’t been around, AudreyK and KK, I went fishing this weekend down Waianae and was generally lethargic over the past few days. I regret I did not get to walk past the house and yell “Audreyyyyy” really loudly (perhaps you’ll be happy for that). :smiley:

I wish the best for your trip and your new location.

Don’t tell me the akule are running?! :wink:
[Long story about boyfriend who had to spend the night fishing omitted]

CJ