Hawaiian Royalty?

(Inspired by the thread on British royalty)

For the past few weeks, APTN (on cable and satellite here in Toronto) has been running a series of television programs about how the Kingdom of Hawaii became part of the United States of America.

What became of the Hawaiian royalty? Are any of them still living? Do they have any power or special status?

(Maybe I’ll find out in part five this Thursday…)

Yes, there are descendants still in Hawaii. I remember seeing a program where i think the great grand daughter of the last queen was on it(i cant remember her name). I think they called her “princess” also. Anyway, suffice to say, many of the descendants are very much as mixed as most of the residents of Hawaii are (The “princess” had blonde hair and looked caucasian, if i remember correctly). Anyway, i hope I am right, those who are in Hawaii can best answer this question, i thought i would give it a try :).

Check out this URL:

Royal Family of Hawaii.

It gives a fairly detailed synopsis of the demise of the Hawaiian royal family. They didn’t die out, they were conquered. And apparently after annexation by the U.S., Hawaiian traditions (including royalty) were banned.

It doesn’t give any info on current descendants, however, although it mentions that the last queen was third of ten children, so their must be some Hawaiian royals still around.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”
– William of Ockham

Trying again –

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/7545/Hawaii.html

Uh, the link was not the URL. Sorry. Please don’t ask me how I earn my living.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”
– William of Ockham

The Hawaiian royal family still exists in some distant relatives. The last queen, Liliuokalani, had no children with her American husband, John O. Dominis. He was made Prince Consort when his wife became queen in 1891.
Liliuokalani suceeded King Kalakaua, who was her brother. He and his wife, Queen Kapiolani , didn’t have any kids either.
However, some of the earlier kings, had several children who still have descendants to this day.

Quentin Kawananakoa, whom the Washington Post described as a direct descendant of Kalakua and Kapiolani, was running for Congress in 1998 as a Republican, but dropped out for health reasons.

The last direct descendant of King Kamehameha , died in 1884. She was Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop. Her inheritance became the Bishop Trust, which is Hawaii’s biggest landholder and the subject of several scandals in the past few years.

Forgive me if I mispelled any names.