HBO's The Regime (open spoilers)

The Regime premiered last night on HBO and Max. I’ve been waiting awhile for this, who else is watching? It’s basically Veep set in Central European dictatorship. Kate Winslet’s has hints of Viktor Orban, Marine LePen, Kim Jong-un, and Howard Hughes so far.

I watched it… I think I will need a few more episodes to have an opinion on it. Parts of it were pretty funny but it is really strange and I also don’t know if I can deal with Winslet’s half-mouth accent. I normally love her in everything she does so I’m going to have faith that it will work out.

My opinion was pretty much the same as LVBoPeep. I had some high hopes for it based on the pre-buzz I had heard, so maybe that tainted my expectations a bit. I like a good dark comedy, bu there was a little too much ‘dark’ and ‘weird’, and not enough ‘comedy’ for my liking.

But maybe it’s a slow burn and will grow on me after a couple more episodes. Will not exile it from my watching schedule…for now.

So what’s the deal with Elena and Agnes’s son? The coparenting thing is much creepier than the dead dad on display.

I think he is entirely Agnes’s child but that Elena decided unilaterally that she was also his mother.

I think it’s a little creepier than that. I think Elena ordered Agnes to have “their child”. The father is obviously unknown (to us).

That’s possible. A lot is unsaid here, but Nicky, her husband, did tell a news reporter that he abandoned his wife and family to marry Elena, perhaps not by choice.

Has anyone noticed a marked similarity between “The Regime” and the 2006 feature film “Land of the Blind”, starring Ralph Fiennes and Donald Sutherland? Plot, characters, look, design, music, costumes, etc?