Hdtv

If if buy a new TV should I make sure it is HDTV ready? The sales clerk said any TV not HDTV ready will not be useable in 2 years.

well, I’m not the greatest mind on the subject so I may have my facts wrong, but I believe tv stations are required to changeover by 2008 and by 2004 they should all have a hdtv transmission avaible? sigh help me with my facts techies… regardless, I think it’s BS the the TV won’t be useable, how useable I can’t say. My next TV will be HDTV ready, but at this point I really think it’ll be loonger than 2 years. DVD is the best reason to get something like that at the moment.

Your sales clerk is full of poo. I had an experience somewhat like yours. I was on a mission to go into Best Buy, get an inexpensive TV and a satellite dish. I could get out of there for under $300. Well, an hour later after getting assaulted with HDTV this and S-video that, and you need this newer dish this and you don’t want to climb onto your roof to install a new dish in 4 years that I walked out empty handed.

Anyway, I figured I ought to educate myself somewhat and found this:

yes, they should have a small box you can use that should be about $10.00 so you can use your old analog tv.

Now, for a HDTV, here are some prices (these are for reasonable working things right now)

hdtv: $2000
settop box for above to get hdtv: $550
vcr that does hdtv: $1500
vcr cassettes for above: $10 each

Its not worth it for me.

Do you have a cite for this? I’ve never heard of such a device And why would a TV manufacturer want to sell you a $10 device when they could force you to buy a $500++ TV set?

As for the OP, the switch from analog to digital is already behind schedule, so it will be later rather than earlier that analog is no longer broadcast.

>> Do you have a cite for this? I’ve never heard of such a device

I do not have cites but converting a HDTV signal to plain NTSC is not that difficult. There are VCRs which convert PAL to NTSC and the other way around and it is no big deal. While $10 seems a bit optimistic, the cost of a converter is still much less than the cost of a new TV.

>> And why would a TV manufacturer want to sell you a $10 device when they could force you to buy a $500++ TV set?

Because if there is a demand someone will supply the product. It may not be a TV manufacturer but someone will do it.