headphones while driving

okay, on wearing headphones while driving, can anyone point me to some articles or some such thing on the internet saying why this is dangerous and perhaps even confirm whether this is illegal in NY state?

thanks

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

I don’t know of any sites or if it is illegal, but I think commen sense would let you know it isn’t safe.

Of course I listen to the radio, but even with the radio on and my windows rolled up I can still hear a horn honking or screeching tires. My experience with headphones is that with them on, you will not be able to hear these things at all.

Damn, commen sense (sic) should let me know how to spell the word common. Sorry, I’m distracted by the news of Walter Payton’s death.

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal in NY. I remember that, when Walkmans first became popular, there were problems with drivers wearing them, and a law was eventually passed.

I don’t know if that was just NYC, or the whole state.

Never attribute to malice anything that can be attributed to stupidity.
– Unknown

I seem to remember that it’s illegal in all of NY. It has been more than a decade since I read the pamphlet and took the test though.

Section 375 (24-a). It shall be unlawful to operate upon any public highway in this state a motor vehicle, limited use automobile, limited use motorcycle or bicycle while the operator is wearing more than one earphone attached to a radio, tape player or other audio device.
There you go. Notice it says “more than one earphone”

So what about deaf people? They drive

hi again. I started this thread so maybe to guide it I can tell you why I’m asking this question:

I know someone who wore headphones while driving. This was under a situation which requires my involvement to rent the car for her. I’m not exactly a fan of her driving and have already made a big stink of the issue and this headphone thing after the fact is pretty much a betrayal of my trust and, IMO and even more importantly, hideously unsafe.

She wore the headphones over both ears, I made sure to confirm that.

I really just want to yell at her and make her somehow understand how dangerous and illegal that was. I’ve got the illegal part now, thanks, but I’m still looking for statistics and studies and proof and such so I can present a decent argument so she knows it’s about more than just the betrayal of trust (even though that’s plenty right there).

but still, even if you all can’t give me specific studies and stuff, any analytical arguments would help. Sad to say it, but I’m confident that saying “it’s just common sense!” won’t be enough to convince her of my point.

even better: does anyone have any personal experience anecdotes to support my argument? I would hope not, obviously, but they would seem to carry more weight than just statistics.

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

One of the main reasons for this law is not necessarily screeching tires, but for emergency vehicles ( firetrucks, police cars, ambulances, etc.). Most of the time you hear a siren long before you see it.

Yes, I know hearing impaired people drive.
But these are in the minority, and the flashing lights are there for their benefit.

Ah, Zeb, ‘hearing impaired’ is a 50’s word set, no longer politically correct, but thats okay.

Yeah, some car comp’s have a package for deaf people that includes some free enhancements, siren detectors, for example.

THe NY state vehicle code should be on the net somewhere. In Calif its illegal to use headphones. I suppose they are going to apply that to cell phones soon as there is already a motion for that in some state. How can people drive safely with a phone in their hand & on their ears? tsk.