Is it possible for mold or bacteria ingested via contaminated water to remain in one’s system?
Recently, we began to notice a particular smell coming from our kitchen water. Wet washcloths left near the sink would get smelly in less than a day, with the smell becoming very strong after another day or two, so I figured that there was some sort of mold or bacteria in our water supply. The smell could be detected on kitchen surfaces, especially in the narrow space just behind the sink, and in the coffee maker which had parts that we couldn’t get at to clean directly. I began to notice that I could smell the smell sometimes when I burped, usually after having coffee.
After some preliminary investigation, we learned that the city hasn’t found any significant issues with the city supply, and we learned that water heaters can often get a buildup of some kind over time that can lead to the sort of thing we’ve noticed in our home. We replaced our water heater (and subsequently our dishcloths and coffeemaker) and this seemed to solve the problem. Washcloths now only get a very slight musty smell after several days. I have yet to do a thorough bleach-clean of the kitchen to remove all traces (so the smell is still noticeable in the cranny behind the sink), but the smell doesn’t show up in our glasses or cups anymore, and our new coffeemaker seems fine.
However, I can still smell it sometimes now when I burp. Is this stuff growing inside me? Is there something my doctor can give me to get rid of this stuff? I’m not having any major symptoms, but I wouldn’t rule out anything based on that – I have enough regular minor aches and pains and etc etc that although I’m not hypochondriac enough to really worry, it would not surprise me at all to discover some low-level chronic thing was responsible for some of these minor symptoms.
One weird observation: my wife and I were driving past an area where they were tearing up the street in the next town over, and we both could detect this very distinct smell very strongly. Whatever was causing this smell in our home, it’s in the sewer or possibly the groundwater or something in our area.
TIA for any advice on whether/what to say to my doctor, or links to resources on this.