Healthy meal ideas - Weight Watchers applicable, Atkins would help.

If you like noodles there’s also shirataki. They make them in both fettucine shape and lo mein noodle shape.

That’s interesting, but the information on that site looks to be outdated. I can tell you for a fact that if you attempt to melt the Promise product, you get a whole lot of water with a tiny dot of oil on top. I wanted to see if it could be used in cooking, so I tried a few things with it and it just doesn’t work because there isn’t anywhere near enough oil in it.

Yum! I’ve used buckwheat hulls, and I love buckwheat (soba) noodles, but I never thought to find the buckwheat berries themselves. Thanks!

Oh. My. Goodness. Those things are 1 point a POUND! A pound! That’s 1/3 the points of carrots! I love you!!!

Just make sure to boil them to get rid of the slightly fishy smell. I think they are better in Asian recipes, YMMV. There is plenty of info on the web via Google for American recipes (by the way, they only smell like that because of the liquid used to preserve them, which is made out of clam shells or something). It’s very slight and easily gotten rid of. You should report back on how you like them.

Oh and the House of Noodles brand is mixed with tofu and probably slightly higher in calories because tofu does have some carbs. The pure shirataki are most likely the ones that are 1 point per pound. I’d recommend using the pure shirataki for asian recipes and House of Foods mix if you want to attempt different cuisines.

Incidentally, since I’ve tried them-they have a little “bite” as in they’re slightly, very slightly, rubbery when you chew on them. It’s not a pure starchy taste. But covered in a dressing or sauce it’s difficult not to believe you’re eating real noodles.

There’s also mung bean noodles (like the stuff they make japchae out of) but they are not as healthy as shirataki. However, they are much better than pure rice noodles. Since these also have that slight “bite” to them, I’d recommend trying to make japchae out of the shirataki and see if you like it.

Oh yeah, shirataki. I’ve still never tried them. They seem to be a love or hate sort of food. I should try some.

You’re welcome. In my not so humble opinion, kasha is the food of the gods. I hope you like it! If you’re going to buy it in your local grocery store as opposed to ordering it online, you’ll find it in the “ethnic” aisle with all the Jewish foods, usually on or near the top shelf. I prefer the medium grain, myself, but again, ymmv. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

No, actually it was the House Foods one that Weight Watchers already has programmed in, so that 1 point a pound is the tofu variety!

I’ve already hit up their website for some recipes , and there’s even lots of calorie and fat trimming to be done there (Chicken Cacciatore on shirataki? Why not? But how 'bout we halve the oil and butter - surely we don’t need a quarter cup of fat to sautee veggies - and use a real chicken breast instead of chicken tenders, mmm’kay?) The only problem for me is that they don’t list fiber, so I have to input the recipes into my WW recipe builder to figure out how many points they have.

That’s so awesome. I would have assumed it’s the pure konnyaku that would have been so low in calories and those are definitely more elastic. The tofu ones have better mouthfeel.

Best of luck with everything.

I think there’s a note at the bottom something about that.

I was mostly talking about the fact that mono & diglycerides (which I see in TONS of stuff, particularly “low-fat” labels) is actually fat! And there can be LOTS of it without being on the label. Learn something new every day. :slight_smile:

Another good idea is to use soybeans instead of regular beans-- you get much more protein and only a fraction of the carbs. Supposedly you can get black soybeans, but I’ve never seen them (even at gourmet supermarkets). I’ve made *refritos *using soybeans, and they’re every bit as good as those with pinto beans. I actually like them better.