Hebrew Univ. scientists discover first natural superheavy element!

Look here.

Woot!

Wow.

Assuming, of course, that this is genuine and not a measurement error. I’ll be looking for updates.

Unbibium. Well, they have to change that for a start. Jerusium? Hebrovium? Palestinium? Er…

Never did quantum with nucleons, but I’m pretty sure 122 wasn’t in the list of possibles for stable superheavies. (126 is in there!) Who knows? It might be the real thing, or it might be another cold fusion. There’s no reason that supernovae couldn’t create some really high-number elements; after all, it’s where WE came from. Awaiting further developments.

It may well be of great assistance in cold fusion, but you guys are totally missing the point!

This is element 122… that’s 7 better than element 115! The universe is ours!!!

Jerusalum, surely.

Enoughalreadywiththeprotonium?

Interesting if true. Fairly interesting even if not - the nightclub bouncer approach to finding elements “Sorry sir, no more oxides of your isotope, it scares off the ladies.”

One of the scientists was so overcome by the results of the experiment that he immediately ran out of the room. It was later discovered that he quit his job.

“I’m sure he’ll be back,” said the leader of the research team, Alexander Luthorberg. “That Kal-El, he can be SUCH a drama queen sometimes.”

I’m a little skeptical. The last time I heard anything about this “arXiv,” it was when mathematician Penny Smith claimed to have solved a Clay Prize math problem, and it was picked up in the news but it turned out the proof was flawed. Isn’t arXiv just a place where people share their unfinished work for other people to critique them? It isn’t a scientific journal.

Heh. Time to start mining black sand, maybe? :slight_smile:

arXiv is technically a preprint server for Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Statistics and Nonlinear Sciences. Some scientists will post articles on there that have been submitted to a peer-reviewed journal, but which haven’t been reviewed yet, others will post after peer-review once the article’s been reviewed, corrected and formally accepted by the journal (which is mine and most of my collaborators’ M.O.). The former case, IMO is a bit self-aggrandising, but the latter case is a good way to get your article in circulation in the scientific community whilst waiting for all the publication stages for your journal. IME, it takes about a month nowadays from acceptance to having the “online early” or the pdfs of the print journal sent to you… So your article gets a month’s head-start on arXiv…

Is it predicted this stuff will be crazy radioactive? They’re giving it a really long half-life (100 million years).

Super heavy? Why not Matzonium?

By definition, the longer the half-life the less radioactive it is.

Kafoozalium?

:wink:

Also, some journals just dump everything onto arXiv, such as The Annals of Statistics.

Why didn’t Tuckerfan post this?

You’ve got it backwards- radioactivity is a product of atomic decay, so a material with short half-life gives off radioactivity quickly, while a material with long half-life gives off the same amount of radioactivity spread over a long time.

Okay, that’s what I figured, I just wasn’t sure. Thankee.