Hehmpf. I just learned the meaning behind Adiddas.

Technically, “Wendy” is the nickname of Dave’s youngest daughter. Her given name is Melinda Sue.

Binatone The cheapo consumer electronics company was named after the founders daughter Bina

AMSTRAD = Alan Michael Sugar Trading.
Famous for making the PC into a home consumer product and for utilising GEM which was a predecssor of the graphical user interface, later hijacked by Billy.

Armand Hammer didn’t found the Arm & Hammer baking soda company, but it would be funny if he had.

Then they made the right descision to use the latter name for the ‘Big Mac’ product.

It’s “adidas”

not “Adidas”

They also made a Personal Computer in the eighties called the “Adam”, and a video game system called ColecoVision. I wonder why a PC made by the Connecticut Leather Company never sold too well? :wink: The “Adam” first came out in 1983, and by January 1985 they stopped making them. The next product they made were the Cabbage Patch dolls. Then in 1988 they went bankrupt and were bought up by Hasbro.

The company history is really interesting. They were founded in 1932 as the Connecticut Leather Company and sold leather products. In the sixties they were the worlds largest manufacturer of above groung swimming pools. Then they went to video games and PCs, and finally dolls. And they were successful at pools, video games and dolls, yet still went bankrupt!

A most excellent book and read. Totally fascinating. Two thumbs up.

‘Richer Sounds’ is a nationwide chain of hi-fi equipment retailers that also has the distinction of being in the Guiness Book of Records for most sales per square foot of retail space (or something) was started by Julian Richer.

IIRC, Mr. Hammer eventually bought some stock in the Arm & Hammer company because he was tired of explaining to people how it was he was not the owner of the company. That way if anyone asked, he could say, yes, I am an owner.

I thought I’d read just about every Straight Dope column there was, but here we go:

Of course, I realize now that the column had already been linked to… :smack: Carry on…

Double :smack: for me; I never followed that link in the first place, I thought it went to a bio.

:wally I’m just gonna read stuff for a while…