Hell with my masculinity, my Miata kicks ass! (A First Drive Impression)

It would appear as if my earlier thread, which asked whether or not a little white Mazda Miata would require me, a vaguely homophobic man, to start wearing a skirt, has been devoured. Thanks for all your input, though. Here’s an update, and sort of a review.

I picked the thing up last week, went more broke than I’ve been in six years to buy it, and didn’t finish the insurance work until Thursday. There isn’t anywere I can park the damned thing near my apartment, so a wonderful friend of mine is putting it up at her house until I move. Aside from parking it, today was the first time I drove it. I put two hundred miles on it this afternoon.

First of all, let me say that somehow, the traffic problems in the Northern Virginia area have somehow sunk below the Iron Maiden concert parking lot levels that they were at six years ago, when I last drove regularly. Route 66, a major highway, came to a complete, random halt several times before I got out of the rat race and into the… rain.

No big deal. The convertible top on this little puppy can be sealed in one minute without leaving the driver’s seat, I kid you not. It’s manual, it has two simple latches to hold it in place, and yet somehow it does not leak. I pulled to a halt under a bridge and zipped things up in a flash, even though I had to remove the vinyl convertible cover. I quickly discovered that while that little cover looks cool, it’s not really all that necessary, for the top will stay down and secure without vibrating even at ninety miles an hour. I suspect it will reside in the miniature trunk for evermore.

A neat thing happens when the top is up. The distance from the rearview mirror to the back window is so short that visibility is not decreased at all. Furthermore, the side windows extend back far enough that a quick look over the shoulder is enough to ensure that there isn’t someone in your blind spot when the top is up. I expected those to be annoying problems, but they aren’t at all.

The seats are interesting. They’re obviously based on the Recaro design, with enormous lateral support which allows this driver to shift his seating position to accomodate high-speed turns. The controls are so close and logically placed that I felt instantly familiar with it.

And did I mention the gearbox? It has just a nub of a shifter which unmistakably snicks into place and acts almost as if there is a Ferrari-style lockout gate hiding underneath the chumpy vinyl fabric cover, which is beginning to deteriorate. It’s got four honest gears for real driving, and a fifth for highway driving which is sensibly placed far to the right and above reverse so that I never got close to mis-shifting. It’s very reminiscent of the Porsche 928 S4’s gearbox, except that first is where one expects it to be. I wonder if it’s possible to reorganize the synchros so that first is at the bottom…

Another wonderful surprise was the power of the vehicle. This is both a blessing and a minor disappointment. I was rather expecting something along the lines of an MG Midget, wheezy and slow. This perceived liability can actually be quite fun, as you have to literally “race” just to keep up with traffic in many of the older, small sports cars. It turns out that this particular version, a '92, already had 115 horsepower, and probably because of its light weight, acceleration off the line is quite spritely. I found myself having to keep my carnal urges in check, as it would quite literally carve up traffic as I wished, except when a guy in an M3 put me in my place on the way home.

That having been said, it’s still not fast, like “trouble” fast. Just “fun” fast. Furthermore, it the low-RPM pull is good enough that I never had to go above about 4200 RPMs, even when I was flogging it, and flog it I did, for hours. That’s great, because when your peak horsepower comes at very high RPMs it is difficult to maintain, and a rasping, overexerting four-banger isn’t audibly pleasing to you or anyone else. (Keep in mind that “flogging” for a guy who has been in a lot of bad accidents and hasn’t driven much in six years is probably pretty tame for a lot of you.)

The route I chose to take today took me out the highway to Front Royal, Virginia, where it stopped raining and the top dropped faster than a bead collector at Mardi Gras. Then I shot through the Passage Creek Valley (rte. 676), which runs parallel to the Skyline Drive through the headlands of the Massanuttens, but without the park police, low speed limits, and gawking tourists which prevent the Skyline from being a truly enjoyable driver’s drive. Mine was a moderately challenging drive that combines short straightaways with plenty of sweeping turns, a few unexpected switchbacks, one or two nasty fadeaways, and the occasional loose goat.

Once you ascend the valley past the growing rural residential district which rests in the floodplain, there is the most beautiful sight a new driver can behold, the rare and diminishing “End 45 MPH Speed Limit” sign. I choose to interpret this as, “go as fast as you consider safe,” which is what I did. The road passes through the Washington National Forest, offers five miles or so of truly challenging climbing switchbacks as it climbs the range, affords a nice view of the Luray Valley and the South Fork of the Shennandoah at the top, and then drops precipitously and snakelike to the river below.

This is where I noticed the most unusual and pleasing thing. The Miata’s handling is honestly, unequivocably neutral in every way. When it is unable to hold the road, it tells you by making the usually precise steering a little mushy, and you’re so low to the ground that six inches of drift is instantly noticeable. The inexperienced (or rusty) driver’s first (and in many cars, such at the Porsche 911, last) reaction is to let off the gas. Unbelievably, the damned thing responds to such stimulus by keeping its line though the turn. Front wheel drive cars will often respond to such a reaction by cutting too deeply into the turn or shooting off in the first direction in which it gets traction, while some rear wheel drive cars will kick the back end out and take you for a spin. With its near-perfect 50-50 front/back weight ratio and very short wheelbase, his little thing does neither. The only other car I’ve ever driven which responds similarly is the original Audi Quattro, and while I’m not impartial, I think this car handles better.

The roads were wet, which kept my awareness high and my speeds under seventy-five the whole way through that portion of the drive. The handling was completely honest the whole way, although I had an uncomfortable moment when this normally predictable road suddenly dropped into a fade-away, decreasing radius turn just before it re-crossed the creek. This is bad news for motorcycles, but my new toy car and I negotiated it just fine.

Once beyond the rather unremarkable town of Luray, with a freshly lit cigar, I took rte. 211 back toward home. When 211 climbs the Blue Ridge, it is magical. Well paved and far too wide for its own good, with a panoramic, blossoming view out the sides and rear, it’s easy to push the limits. The damned car stuck like glue, and I was required to pull over and take in the sights several times, as I continually caught up to other drivers who obviously didn’t have a new glove to break in, as I did. I also discovered that it does this remarkably flashy fishtail if you pull the emergency brake in gravel, again because of its completlely neutral center of gravity.

It was at this point that I realized that there is an entirely different envelope of performance which I had not even begun to explore, where the RPMs are high, the shift points squeeze out fourth gear, the tiny disc brakes are actually taxed, and the gods of the road lose their forgiveness for a tin can which I can nearly lift off the ground myself, all 150 pounds of me. I’m not even interested in going there, but it is there, should I ever wish to tap into it. That, in a word, is awesome.

On the far side of the Ridge heading east, just before Sperryville, there is a place called “Cooter’s,” complete with an orange '72 Charger parked out front with the “01” number on the side. I so desperately wanted to slide into that gravel lot in a perfect 270 parking job, right next to that burly and garish musclecar. That’s the really dangerous thing about my new ride. It’s so eminently predictable and maneuverable that after all those years of not driving at all and only a few short hours of driving this car I already knew just how to do it.

Instead I just cruised by and puffed at 'em. Hey, man, my days of raising hell are nearly over; I don’t have much left to prove. So what if my car looks like a girl car? Hell, I’m pretty sure it is a girl, because I’ve just fallen in love with it.

You suck.

You really suck.

You suck because I’m quite envious.

I wanted/want a miata also but with two kids I haven’t been able to figure out a way to justify getting one. I’m still trying though, because dick be damned, I think they are cool looking cars and always thought they would be fun as hell. My suspicions have now been confirmed. Congrats to you and glad you are enjoying it!

Just remember, if you start going bald, wear a hat in it. There isn’t much that isn’t as pathetic as a bald guy in a sporty convertible:)

Hey, Sofa you know you can get a supercharger for that hot little number of yours, don’t you? :cool:

I am so envious! I took a test drive a few weeks ago and can not get that car off my mind! It was the “Cyrstal Blue” color, and that is one FUN car. But, like Turbo Dog , with three kids, it’s a little hard to justify. OTOH, I could just make tree trips instead on one :wink: .

Damn, but I want that car!

I’ve been a Miata owner for nearly twelve years now, and the joy of driving it never goes away.

A few years ago I drove the entire length of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was mid-week during the Spring, and traffic was almost non-existant. It’s something like 570 miles of great roads and beautiful scenic views. Fantastic!

I’ll admit I rarely use my top boot, but there is a good reason for putting it on. UV light will slowly damage the underside of the top over time.

Turbo Dog, Lyllyan, just find a way and do it. Life’s too short to drive a boring car. Isn’t that justification enough? :slight_smile:

If you need more reasons to justify it, how about these. Used Miatas can be gotten ridiculously cheaply, and they pretty much last forever. They’re reliable, cheap to maintain and insure, and they get great gas milage.

It’s true that you can’t carry three kids with you, but assuming you’ve got more than one car, do they all need to have the ability to carry the whole family?

Eric

Darn you! DARN YOU TO HECK!

Just when I’ve pretty much accepted that I’ll never own a sports car, and was starting to feel OK about it, you have to go and make it sound so damn justifiable. :wink:

And I am looking at a 30 mile commute when I move back to Maryland this fall. Hmm…

Slight hijack for Sofa King:

What should I be doing when I start to slip in a turn (except for not taking the turn too fast in the first place)? I drive a low-powered FWD Nissan Sentra.

Miatas are fun little puppies to drive.

But you do realize that superchargers are also available on the Toyota FourRunner (although, it needs it, because the 6 banger alone on that is anemic). :smiley:

Hey, that’s just the short list. I could come up with a hundred more if you want… :slight_smile:

Eric

Maybe I ought to try one on - I’ve never tried to get into one because they’re only knee high on me (I’m 6’3"). I’ve only heard good things about them, though.

galen ubal – my mom bought a new Miata in 2000 and I can’t drive it because I’m too tall. I’m also 6’3". I literally can’t fit into the driver’s seat. The times when I have had to drive it, my knees have ached for hours afterward from being pressed up against the interior of the car. My mom certainly loves it, though.

sigh I’m not surprised. A friend has an RX-7 that I can’t get into. Mazda doesn’t seem to consider the vertically enhanced. :frowning:

I absolutely adore my Miata… I’m planning on driving out to North Carolina from New Mexico instead of flying to my family reunion this summer just because it’s so much fun!

Don’t feel bad. I can’t drive any 70s Corvettes, even with a pillow behind me. :smiley:

I’ll take this one, if Sofa’s OK with it. :wink:

Essentially, when your Sentra understeers, let go off the accelerator. Doing so abruptly may cause the car to oversteer because of the weight shift (well, maybe not a Sentra, but some FWD’s, like my Peugeot 306, will), so make sure to gently ease off the gas. The car will refind its grip, and steer again - hopefully before the tarmac ends. :slight_smile:

Whatever happens, resist hitting the brakes until you feel you really, REALLY have to. In most cases, you’re only marginally too fast, and the car will find grip.

Sofa King, the Miata is an excellent drivers car. It’s pretty predictable as you say, yet tons of fun. When the roads are wet, and you have a little room, those 115 horsies can make it slide like you wouldn’t believe. It’s pretty easy to get into a power slide - unfortunately, it lacks the gusto to do the same on dry roads.

Rock on!

I agree with Coldie on the driving tip. Whatever you do, don’t do it suddenly.

I just got a way cool invitation, too. For years, my gearhead have been making a big production out of their Spring riding/camping tour, which always culminates at Deal’s Gap, Tennessee. They’ve invited me to come along next month! Woohoo!

Deal’s Gap is totally hairy, with 318 turns in eleven miles. I’m the first four-wheeler to be invited along. (One possible reason may be that three bikes have been totaled in the past five years, and they may be betting that someone may need a ride home.)

Can I keep up with the likes of a CBR 900RR or a YZF600R? Hell, no! But I can pack a fishing rod, a video camera, and a cooler (a small one), and I’ll be the only one of 'em without a helmet.

Here’s a video of the full run: http://www.dealsgap.com/misc.html

Unfortunately, it’s an evil RealPlayer file.

My Z3 is the same - the boot cover is not needed to hold the top down. However, if you want the top to stay clean, I suggest you use the cover. I don’t have direct experience with the Miata, but if it’s anything like the Z, driving around with the top down without the cover on it causes lots of dirt and dust to get down into the top. If you’re like me and leave the top down for most of the summer, when you put the top up you’ll have ground in dirt and stains from the road grit.

It does increase the amount of hassle involved in putting the top up and down, though. Instead of always putting it up when I park, I bought a cover and just cover the entire cockpit if I’m going to be away from the car for any amount of time. Now the only reason the top goes up in the summer is if I’m driving while it’s raining. Otherwise, I’m topless!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Im soooo jealous! I would love to have a Honda S2000. Its bad enough that they cost and a leg and that my insurance would go out the roof. Living in Baltimore City though i am afraid it would be broke into. :frowning:

Thats an arm and a leg!!

An S2000? Hell, if we’re talking that kinda money, I’ll opt for the Lotus Elise! Of course, you Yanks can’t have one, 'cause it’s too dangerous for the States, apparently. :wink:

They’re SOOO much fun. I’d own one, but these bastards do not depreciate AT ALL.