Hellboy: I'm pumped!

Now now. I didn’t say lust. Hellboy is cuddly. I just want to hug on him. I love when they show him in Seed Of Destruction, drinking tea out of a little china cup. Cute as pie.

If Vin Diesel were still playing Hellboy, perhaps it would be a different story.

Wolverine. That’s who my lust is reserved for.

Just thought I’d let you Hellboy fans know–Best Buy currently has a FREE Hellboy sneak preview DVD. It has a 30 second trailer, a 2.5 minute trailer, and a 10 minute ‘making of’ featurette. There are also a few other trailers and teasers for other movies. I picked one up today and watched it. I’ve never read the comic, but I am a fan of comic book movies and this one looks pretty good. Hopefully it won’t be another LXG.

LXG: The new standard by which bad movies are measured… :wink:

It was my understanding that Doug Jones (aka Pinhead, from the Hellraiser movies) would play Abe Sapien, whereas Hyde-Pierce would provide the voice. Perhaps I am wrong, though.

Liz Sherman is a redhead in the comics. Very angsty character, as she accidentally slaughtered her entire family and most of her neighbors when her powers emerged at age eleven.

It is my understanding that Hellboy’s origins will be covered in the movie, although this scene could differ from the comics.

I have heard it said (in the movie version) that since Hellboy ages so slowly, by the time we reach modern times, he’s developmentally at a teenager sort of level. I don’t much care for this; the comic version has him as mature, even world-weary at times (who nevertheless has a bit of a temper, when pressed). Still, we’ll see.

As to The Punisher… I dunno. I think the Dolph Lundgren film wasn’t THAT bad, but it had several strikes against it.

1. It was shot WHERE? Wherever they filmed it, it didn’t look anything like New York.

2. No emblem. Come on, folks, the emblem is half the dealio. WITH the graphic-arts skull, he’s The Punisher. WITHOUT it, he’s Rambo: First Blood Part XII, or whatever.

3. Limited release. I’d never even heard of this flick until it hit videotape…

I’ve heard very little about the new version. I’m certainly interested, though.

I’m hyped to see Hellboy, but my only worry is that they’re gonna push the “we’re unloved freaks, but we protect society” shtick we saw in the trailer as a major aspect of the film. Well, I already saw that movie and it was called X-Men. In the Hellboy comics Hellboy just wanders around and doesn’t seem to care who sees him, so why take that route in the movie (well, Abe covers himself up on occasion)?

Overall though, as long as Hellboy is a hard drinking, hard fighting apocalypse beast with a heart of gold I’ll be happy.

Well, get ready to be disappointed with the new Punisher movie. Not only was it filmed in Tampa, Florida, the script actually SETS the story in Tampa! Not the colorful New York City of Marvel Comics, of Spider-Man and Daredevil, but that dark, crime-ridden metropolis (actually, that’s not too far off the mark) of TAMPA. And you know how well-known it is for it’s warring Mafia factions. :rolleyes:

Well, at least it’s not CLAIMING to be New York.

And according to the old *Miami Vice * show, Florida is seething with homicidal dope dealers with assault rifles… :smiley:

Damn hamsters. Short version:

Anyone interested in Hellboy can go to chud.com today for a big pile of pictures released by the studio. Some neat stuff. (And yes, Mignola has been very involved with the movie.)

Re Punisher moving to Florida, it actually makes some sense if you think about it. Read Carl Hiaasen or Elmore Leonard; there are some definite lowlifes in central and southern Florida, partly or largely due to the massive drug trade and huge organized crime rings centered on Miami. The bad guy in the movie (played by Travolta) is a money-launderer with narcotics ties, who doesn’t want to live right there in the cesspool. Seems to me to be a sensible extrapolation.

Oh, I get it. I’ve read plenty of Hiassen, and I even live in Miami. I was just overly harsh originally, and I admit it. I can see Punisher being set in Miami as opposed to New York, but I’m just not a big fan of the city of Tampa. It doesn’t have interesting, cinematic visuals and an exciting, exotic, dangerous reputation going for it, like Miami and New York do.

I’ve seent he new Punisher trailer a couple times. I know they could make a great movie of that comic, but looks like that’ll have to happen on a third try.

“He has eaten the pancake. He is lost to us forever.”
“Truly this is our darkest hour.”

I’ve been a Mignola fan since before HellBoy. His atmosphere and especially his mastery of all things Lovecraftian is marvellous.

I think Perlman is near perfect for the role.

From the trailers I’ve seen Abe moves and speaks very much like I’d imagined.

I’m afraid to look into who’s playing The Master/The Servant Of The Dragon/He Who Shall Not Be Named Outside Of A Spoiler Box Rasputin or how he’ll be portrayed.
I’ve also begun to wonder about a second film featuring not HellBoy but HellDirtyOldMan- starring a different Ron, Ron Jeremy.

Re Punisher
The skull should have been left in. He ain’t The Punisher without it. A target should not have been used because #1 It ain’t a skull and #2 Remo Williams already goes up against the bad guys with a target drawn on his chest (a gimmick left out of the Remo Williams movie).

I thought Dolph sucked as the Punisher (though he was fine in He Man, and I Come In Peace). I always thought that Steven Segal would have been a better choice.

I can’t recall his name at the moment, but one of the later series added a BPRD agent who is composed of ectoplasm. He requires a black body suit with bell jar helmet.

Semi Hijack

For those who are unaware, GURPS has released a HellBoy expansion. Having read through it, but not yet played it, it looks pretty good.

How cool would it be to have The Amazing Screw-On Head make a cameo in Hellboy, or better yet, get a movie of his own? I think that’s one of my favorite single-issue stories of all time.

Well, I’m hanging for a reference to Lobster Johnson! Even if he doesn’t appear (isn’t LJ spoken of in the past tense now? given the ghostly visage we saw in one of the recent BPRD one-shots. Mind, given we don’t really know what LJ’s powers are, if any, maybe he can rise again!) lets see some Lobster comics, or a poster from the old serials or something!

I loves me some Lobster!

And yes, I second Amazing Screw-on Head! he’s the TRUE cutie! I’d give the li’l fellow a hug for being so cute and y’know… mechanical!

Re Amazing Screw On Head

“I’ll make them pay! Which form of hideous vengance will it be? Earthquake? Rain of fire? Poisonus frogs?”
“Why not all three?”
" Marry me."

One of? If you mean in the sense that it’s the best comic book ever printed in the history of the world, then yes, I agree with you.

“BAH! You are an irritant to me! Now, the horror… Time to begin the horror!”

“God speed, Screw-on Head.”

“It’s as you always say, sir. All really intelligent people should be cremated --”
“For the sake of national security.”

“Mister Dog, I need Emperor Zombie’s current location.”
“WOOF WOOF 687 miles southeast of Castilla La Mancha.”
“He’s moving fast.”

Maybe his cameo in the movie could explain the secret origins of Screw-On Head. And if that’s not available, show three horrible women and a monkey.

Disturbing.

But in the making-of video released on that aforementioned Best Buy promo DVD:

They show scenes of baby Hellboy along with a young Professor Bruttenholm. It looks very much like a shot-for-shot remake of the origin/summoning scene from the comics. Baby Hellboy is done as all-CG. It didn’t look that good IMO, but then the video only showed a few fleeting glimpses. It may turn out better in the final movie.