Hello From Scotland

Nah, not just the nearest - head for the best! Horseshoe Bar on Drury Street (near Central) :wink:

Welcome to Bonnie Scotland Cicero! If you guys want company on an open top bus tour of Glasgow, I’d be happy to provide sarky running commentary from a local on the official tour guide’s comments :wink:

Hey you guys tried to kill me! More of it after a shower.

Lieu, I loved the limerick. Consider it stolen!

Folks, we had a great day. The weather has been ridiculous- so bright and warm I tink I may have even got some sunburn in the open air bus. We bought the tickets that give us two days of roaming plus entry to Edinburgh Castle, Hollyrood Palace and the Britannia.

Today Edinburgh Castle was my downfall. We spent hours there- about 4- and examined every nook and cranny. Before I left home I bought some expensive Reebok walkers - stride guide or something- that are supposed to be the ducks nuts. hey may be on level ground, but they certainly aren’t flash on 12th century castle stairs or cobblestones.

Baron Greeback- I saw the Balmoral today. It is just slightly more flash than the Parliament House Hotel where we are staying. Only a tad mind you.

Hermette- my fourth trp to Scotland and yet to factor in Glasgow. One day…

Ratmanizhere- we will be doing a boat cruise on Loch Lomond.

Neeps- we are staying at Plockton, Braemar and Kirtlebridge in the three weeks we are here.

Oh, good choices. Plockton is just ridiculously pretty, even by Scottish standards. It’s only a tiny place, but somehow manages to have a harbour, a railway station and an airstrip. I recommend the drive along the shore of Loch Carron (A890) to Strathcarron, and then the A896 (it’s an A road, but it really really isn’t!) down the other shore all the way round to Kinlochewe. But you really can’t go wrong in that part of the world.

I stayed in Drumbuie last time I was here and managed to get that far Baron Greenback. It really is a lovely part of the world.

Today I dropped in and saw Meurglys at his business in Cowgate. He was playing tough guy wearing short sleeves while we were all rugged up and bitching about being cold on the open air bus.

How is this for being a tourist?- went to the yacht “Britannia” , Hollyrood Palace, and then went the the Greyfriars Bobby pub and had lunch. And they gave us a menu - woot!

Tomorrow the drive to Plockton. I am convinced I will get lost in Edinburgh again.

Edinburgh is a great city to visit. It’s just a pity about the people that stay there :slight_smile:

Glasgow>Edinburgh

Kim Jung Il (the Glaswegian)

If you visit Aberdeen be sure to visit Balmedie Beach before Donald Trump gets his hands on it!

Auld Reekie, all fur coats and nae knickers.
:stuck_out_tongue:

I have once been standing on a hill in the neighborhood of Stirling and got the view pointed out to me: “In that direction you can see the Scottish lowlands, over there is Glasgow, over there you can see a little of the North sea, but the best of all is you can’t see Edinburgh from here”. :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re all mutton dressed as mutton through there! :wink:

Stirling is a nice wee place.
Don’t get me wrong, Edinburgh is a fantastic place to go see. It has culture, history, ghosts and everything else you’d want from a European city. But its not Glasgow. :smiley:

You’ll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding…

:wink:

Folks, for those interested I am now in Plockton where it is a mystery to me that they could build brochs in the iron age and can’t get mobile internet faster than a carrier pigeon in 2010.

If you’re into history, don’t miss the battlefield visitor’s center at Culloden. It’s one of the best battlefield monuments I’ve visited. If only we had the ten million to spend on the Custer (Little Bighorn) battlefield here in Montana.

And if you’re into really early history, visit the Clava Cairns and then head out to the outer isles and visit Calanais (on the Isle of Lewis). There are some standing stones that make Stonehenge look positively modern. The site predates the druids.

I’ve been to Culloden but about ten years ago. I will be at Inverness tomorrow so maybe will get to Culloden.

Sadly, I won’t see the outer isles at all.

If you like Turkish food there’s a great restaurant in Inverness called Aspendos. The food and service were great when I was there last month.

Sorrel, thanks for the advice but I have changed my mind and will try and go via Rannoch Moors to get to Braemar. I would not have been able to dine in Inverness anyway as we have to overnight in Braemar.

Today we went to Kinlochewe and had lunch in the hotel there. It was superb and really enchanting = fog all over the mountains, raining and we were inside with an elderly lady in a tweed skirt having a cuppa. In the background a couple playing dominoes and drinking beer. We had some superb bread along with the meal- handmade on the Isle of Skye and it had potato and peppercorn in it. Terribly filling.

Going to hate having to leave here tomorrow.

Sorrel, thanks for the advice but I have changed my mind and will try and go via Rannoch Moors to get to Braemar. I would not have been able to dine in Inverness anyway as we have to overnight in Braemar.

Today we went to Kinlochewe and had lunch in the hotel there. It was superb and really enchanting = fog all over the mountains, raining and we were inside with an elderly lady in a tweed skirt having a cuppa. In the background a couple playing dominoes and drinking beer. We had some superb bread along with the meal- handmade on the Isle of Skye and it had potato and peppercorn in it. Terribly filling.

Going to hate having to leave here tomorrow.

How’s chilly Braemar? I was up near-ish there at the weekend and the north wind was getting a little bit cold.

Interesting. My dearly departed grandfather was 100% Scottish and his last name was Lamond. I’m assuming the change to the name was something done to seem “more American” when my great-grandparents came across the Atlantic. So that may be my ancestral home too!

It’s actually Norse for Lawyer.