Help a Rocky Horror Virgin!

[An example of local humor: my Rocky theater, growing up, was the Rialto in Raleigh, NC. The funniest guy there, bar none, was a hair over four feet tall, and had a mouth on him that would put a sailor to shame. He always came up with the best new lines.

Anyway, the local humor:

Frankenfurter: Pleasure isn’t a crime.
Audience: It is in North Carolina!
Short Guy: But it’s just a misdemeanor. De more I miss it, demeaner I get.

Classy stuff. But lots of fun.

Daniel

You might want to call the theatre where it is showing and ask them whether audience partici…pation is allowed(it isn’t at all theatres), and if so, how much. BTW, in my heyday I was one damn fine Magenta. :cool:

the OP might be over-thinking this whole thing. Just go, have fun, and go with the flow. Sometimes I really miss my Rocky days (even though I probably couldn’t stand to stay up that late anymore).

I haven’t been to the movie, but I’ve been to live shows twice. Now THAT was fun, because the stuff you yell had the potential of seriously distracting the actors. And they might climb on you if you sit down front. Loads of fun.

I wouldn’t technically be a virgin, then, right? I mean, I’ve seen a version. Twice. And throughly enjoyed myself. I REALLY enjoyed the shopping for a corset for a guy friend in a smallish VEEEERY Baptist city in Georgia. Hee hee…

I mean, the shopping trip wasn’t IN the show…I shouldn’t post uncaffeinated. He looked dead sexy in it, too.

Sit in the back row, no need to get all into the thick of things or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s kind of funny. The one time I went to a live show, audience participation wasn’t allowed. There was one minor incidence of it, though, when Frank asks “Whatever happened to Fay Wraye?” someone in the audience yelled out the standard “She went ape shit!” The guy playing Frank looked down at the audience, all haughty and everything, and says “Thank you” and carried on. Cracked us up!

NOT ALLOWED? Then what’s the POINT? Good Lord, the theater was selling bags of props for us – the only rule was no throwing the rice or squirting water at the actors, because it could make for a safety problem with all the dancing and stuff. So you had to throw or squirt at each other. :slight_smile:

Yep, nothing like seeing the guy you know from choir who is a Sunday School teacher slinking around in leather pants and these creepy fabulous orange contacts…:smiley:

I don’t know why it wasn’t allowed, Whiterabbit; safety issues would be my guess. Apparently the usher was completely clueless. When we went in the door, he told us “no throwing hot dogs or mayonnaise or whatever you guys throw” :confused:

Now, of course, the movie theater was a whole other thing! We took:
toilet paper
confetti
flash lights
newspaper
the covers of paper back books
rice
toilet paper
playing cards
toast

I forget what else. I do know that most of the theaters I attended didn’t allow meatloaf or hot dogs to be thrown. One theater had a nasty little incident when someone slipped on some rice while doing the Time Warp. So, the following week, management anounced that we would not be allowed to dance in the theater. So, when the time came, we all went out and did the Time Warp in the lobby. Didn’t take them long to repeal that rule :smiley:

A friend of mine told me to wear ratty clothes if I went. Several people were packing squirt margarine instead of water the night he went. He was dressed nicely, and he wished he wasn’t.

FUCK THE BACK ROW!!

Sorry…that was bound to happen too… :slight_smile:

In the back row? At the late night double feature (Rocky Horror) picture show? Uh-oh.

Off to Cafe Society.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB

Interesting. I’m defnately going to have to keep tabs on this thread.

See, my fiance’s a (former) Rocky addict, and he swears he’s going to take me someday. It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen anytime before I hit menopause, but, nevertheless, I’ve started to formulate a plan. It’s still in the nascent stages, really.

Stage One of Plan: Tell anyone who asks me to do something that involves performing in front of lots of people to step off. Using slightly harsher language, of course.

Stage Two of Plan: If that fails, hide behind my fiance.

Is this an adequate plan? Bear in mind that I’m not much good in crowds. Putting me in front of a bunch of people and asking me to fake an orgasm–as my former roommate’s troupe did–is not about to happen. Not without puke, a panic attack, or something else beginning in P.

Nothing to worry about, Angel. No one is required to do anything they don’t want to do. About the only thing you could face is a bit of virgin initiation – either being asked to stand up (common), or being trotted out to the front of the theater (rare). Both of these are done as a group, and are basically quick, painless, and voluntary.

Of course, you should by all means play along. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Hal Briston]
FUCK THE BACK ROW!!
FUCK THE FRONT ROW!

Man, I’m so ashamed…

So were mine! God, I miss them. :frowning:

I’ve “only” seen it about 30 - 40 times. It’s great when you go to a different theater in a different town than usual and you and a friend shout something they normally don’t in the theater you’re in and everyone laughs. It’s the best feeling!

Watching it on TV doesn’t compare to seeing it with AP. You’re in for a fantastic time. Just don’t count on following the story too much. It will just frustrate you. Go with the flow and enjoy!

And don’t worry that the production values weren’t that great. It is indeed a cult show that grows on you, Janet.

If you want, I’ll send you a copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer (newspaper) so you can be TRULY authentic for the ‘newspaper over the head in the rain’ scene.