help ID song from old soundtrack

My google-fu fails me on this one. I absolutely love “Little Big Man” with Dustin Hoffman. And there is an instrumental piece consisting mainly of piccolo and drums (I think there are drums) that is sort of the theme when the U.S. Calvary show up. It is a haunting little ditty that stays in my head for days after watching the movie. There’s a heap of rainy-gratitude to the person who can ID this little tune and tell me where to get it from.

Thanks

-rainy

I haven’t seen the movie in years, so what follows is an educated guess.

What you’re describing sounds like a regimental song. The marching song for the 7th Cavalry (Custer’s regiment) was garryowen. Google that for sound clips and see if it fits.

I’d link to the clips myself, but I’m sneaking this at work and gotta run. Good luck!

From IMDB in the Triva section for that movie it says:

Is that what you’re looking for? I haven’t seen this movie in many, many years so I can’t even remember the song you’re talking about.

What do I get if I’m right? Is there a prize?

Wow thanks, Linty!

And I never thought to check under the trivia section on IMDB - d’oh.

That is exactly the ditty I was looking for. Not since watching “That Thing You Do” have I listened to as many arrangements of the same song as I just did on i-tunes. What a shame that the version from the movie doesn’t seem to be available anywhere - it has a particularily sparse and haunting arrangement to it that a large band kind of looses. There’s a similar rendition on You Tube by a civil war re-enactors fife and drum corps, but the drums are much heavier.

-rainy

Youtube

Oh yeah, that’s got that same kind of haunting sound to it that impressed me so. What kind of effect is added to the banjo in that clip?

Oh yeah, the prize…ur…um…a year’s supply of undying gratitude and a promise to list it on my burned CD copy as “Garry Owen; the Velvet Jones Mix”

:slight_smile:

No problem (I didn’t even think to go to IMDB in the first place :smack: )

Just wanted to mention that after listening to the linked samples, I had this song in my head all day at work, so right after I came home, I downloaded it. It really is a haunting–and catchy–little ditty.

Here’s the scene from the film itself.

Is there anything that is not on YouTube?

The Immaculate Conception

(tho I’m sure you could find some Hail Marys on there)