Help ID this style of music

Some years back I was listening to yahoo music, on the indie channel. There was a specific artist that I would love to find, though I can’t remember any more information than it was 2 female vocalists, singing different lyrics at the same time. The artist/song sounded quirky and very odd in a magnificent way.
The style was definately different than most things you can find in the music shops, and it has intregued me incredibly so.

I want to say the style was similar to what I was taught was singing in row in elementary. You know, when one group sings the first line, then while the first is singing the second line, the second group starts singing the first line?

I remember it most being done with “row your boat”

If someone could help find this style, it would be greatly appreciated.

And if someone was to happen on the exact song/artist i’m speaking of, I would sing your praises in the street.
Or rather I would if I sang.

That’s called a Round.

Do you have any more information for us to go on? Lots of singers sing Rounds with themselves, such as Happy Rhodes and Kate Bush (where you’d think there were two different people but it’s not), then there are groups/duos who sing Rounds with each other, such as Pooka, blackgirls, Azure Ray, Ephemera, Humpe Humpe and tons of others. Was it a fast, upbeat pop song? A haunting ballad? Remember any lyrics?

Sounds like Ecto* music to me. Now I want to know who it was!
*Ecto music: generally (but not always) female vocals; music that’s hard to categorize into a specific existing genre (i.e. not really pop or rock, and definitely not country, opera, soul, blues, jazz or anything else you can put a definite name to, unless it’s a cover or a style choice for a specific song); lyrics that almost always have meaning; generally (but not always) independent artists; generally (but not always) never gets played on regular radio or other mainstream media; see: Happy Rhodes, Kate Bush, Noe Venable, Jane Siberry, Jeff Buckley

Unfortunately, it was 4 years ago that I listened to them, and I remember next to nothting.
I don’t know why this didn’t come to mind, but thankfully the member formerly known as Big Bad Voodoo Lou suggested Kimwa Dawson and the link below.
Thanks again BBVL.
I want to say Kimwa Dawson reminds me of the style, but that may just be becasue I recently watched Juno, and listened to a few of her songs online.
Here is a song that seems kind of like the style I remember, featured in Juno I believe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBS7YPNLPU

Hmmm, I’ll have to check out some of those artists in the echo style and the ones you pointed out above.

Sleater-Kinney does a lot of this (especially on The Hot Rock album), but the style is a lot more aggressive than the Kimwa Dawson. Also, it’s unclear to me whether you want the round style (where the same lyrics are layered, just offset by time), or two completely different lyrics sung over each other, which is what S-K do.

Exactly what I came in to post. (Also, R.E.M. used to do the 2 different sets of lyrics thing back when they were on I.R.S., and I’ve always found it seemed to add depth to the songs and wondered why more bands didn’t do it outside of S-K).

I believe the song in question was two completely different lyrics at the same time, but both styles are enjoyed by me.

I want to remember the song in question was acoustic sounding, with very little insturmentation. I think there were instruments, just not a lot of them, or played very loudly. The vocals were the emphasis, which I usually enjoy in a song.

mates of state not two girls but girl and guy impressive vocal harmonies and sparse instrumentation electric piano/organ and drums only. they sing rounds and other lines of vocals overlapping

Ecto :slight_smile: .

This is almost certainly not the song you heard (because I can’t imagine any indie station that I didn’t have anything to do with playing it) but I was thinking of a perfect example of a Round(ish)/multiple harmony song by Happy Rhodes. It’s a VERY early song, from an “album” released in 1986. Go easy and don’t judge it on the instrumentation, k? She was an apprentice engineer at a recording studio and was laying the track down just to get it out of her head and onto a more, uh, hearable medium. It was not recorded with the intention of being put on an album, let alone an album (albums) that would be heard by people 22 years later! Her first 4 albums are just collections of these songs that were studio experiments/dictation (and everything you hear, instruments and voices, are her, alone in the studio). With absolutely no objectivity whatsoever, I think they’re almost all wonderful songs. Of course, I would, but even beyond my besotted fanness, I think they’re good songs, and because they weren’t written or recorded with an eye toward eventual release, they have, I think, a purity to them that is unique. And all this early experimentation paved the way for the songs on her later, “real” albums, such as the first song on the player, “Winter.”

Anyway, if you feel like it, go to this page and in the player look for the song “Because I Learn.” It’s song #32. If you like it enough to want to download it, scroll down to the album Rearmament and feel free to grab a copy. If you like “Because I Learn” you might check out song #39, “The Wretches Gone Awry” too. She doesn’t use her superduper-loooooooow voice on these, they’re mainly recorded with her mid and super-high voice.

So… just out of curiousity, I did a search:

Damn. I had guessed at least 250. :smiley:

(No offense intended. I know what it’s like to get excited about a musician that most people don’t know about.)

Just a general note: singing two different songs at the same time is what’s known as a “partner song”. It’s a popular early educational technique to teach harmony. Plus, it sounds cool.

Isn’t this called dissonance? Or dissonant counterpoint?
I have no technical knowledge, I just seem to remember once reading this on the back of an album.